AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the aspect ratio of most HD broadcasts? What type of controls does the 6000 have for aspect ratio? I have a front CRT PJ with a 1:85 screen.

I am meeting with a engineer of my local CBS station next week to hopefully convince him to sign a waiver. Wish me luck.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
632 Posts
The signal for 720p and 1080i are inherently 16:9.

The images (content) on those signals may fill up the screen or be upconverted 4:3 and have side bars. Other images may of course be broadcast too, I think 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 are other common movie formats - these will be pan & scanned or letterboxed to fit a 16:9 signal.

The 6000 has many stretch modes. A recent upgrade updated them and there have been many posts - do a search for 6000.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ADent,

thanks for the reply. I thought the original signal is a widescreen format of some kind. I was hoping the signal is not converted to 4x3.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Kevin,

As was mentioned the HD spec is 16:9. Most of HBO-HD is "pan-and-scan" while most of SHO-HD is OAR. (there are of course exceptions) All of the CBS programming is "true" HD at 1080i. AFAIK no transfers are modified to 4:3.

As for the 6000, you now have several options for controlling aspect in both SD and HD: Normal, Gray Bar, Stretch, Partial Zoom and Full Zoom. A search on this forum will yield more detailed discussions as well as the (subjective) pros and cons of each mode.

Chip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.