Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have read from this forum trying to educate myself before I bought a satellite system. I did buy a Dishnetwork 6000 receiver. I found out later that I needed a 8VSB module to receive OTA DTV signals. I was hooking it up last night and ran into some problems.

I ran the antenna cable to the same area where the Satellite feeds come into the house. I have a Dish500 2LNB dish and another single LNB dish pointing to 61.5. These come into a SW64 switch. I have three cables coming out to run three receivers (1 dish6000 and 2 standard). I antenna feed goes into an amplifier and out to a 3-way splitter. The house is prewired RG6 with one cable going to each TV. I put a diplexor on each Satellite feed and added a antenna feed. At each TV I then put another diplexor to split the Satellite and antenna feeds and ran them into my receivers.

My first question is: on the cable going to the 6000 receiver there is a power invertor. Do I put the diplexor before or after it. I put it before.

Second: I got the 8VSB module running and went through and added my OTA DTV channels. I was just tuning them in and then my satellite went out. It has been out for almost 24 hrs. Did I mess up the install? Or did bad weather - high winds move my satellite. How do you trouble shoot?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Your installation sounds a bit on the complex

side. I am not sure where your problem lies

but here are some things to think about:

The Satellite signal is a much higher frequency

then UHF/VHF (OTA) so you cannot run the

Satellite wiring through an OTA distribution AMP

(I am not sure by your description if you

had tried to do this). Also every receiver needs

to be able to send a signal back up through

the Sat wire so that it can control the LNB

switches... So another reason why the Sat

signals can't go through a one way amplifier.

Also I am not sure you can run the OTA antenna

diplexed signal _through_ the SW64 (maybe

you should research this).

If it was me, I would try to do something

like this:

Connect the 61.5 and Dish 500 to the SW64

and then connect the OTA antenna directly to

the distribution amp. For every TV that

needs OTA I would put a seperate diplexor

pair on each Sat feed wire which leaves the SW64

on its way to a different TV. You may

have to buy some more diplexors and a bit

more RG6 cable this way but I think

it might solve your problem and provide

a more optimal OTA picture.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My description must be hard to follow. I do have my system setup the way you described. I found out over the weekend where my problem was. Because I have two satellites and a SW64 switch I need a power inserter. The power from each receiver is not enough to power my system. The power inserter needs to be hooked up to port 1 on the SW64 switch. I accidentally switched it to port 2. I got lucky and didn't fry one of my other receivers. My system is running beautifully and I love the local DTV feeds. Just watched Toy Story in HD.

Jeff

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jeff,

I assume you were watching Toy Story on WXYZ from Detroit? I was watching also, using a 6000 and live not too far from Highland. Did you experience a lot of breakup in the picture during the show? I had to turn it off as it was so bad. I did not have the problems with the other local digital stations so was wondering if WXYZ was having a problem last night?

Thanks for any info.

Gary

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had some breakup a couple of times. Nothing more than a couple of seconds worth. Just enough for the wife to question what was going on. Did the broadcast come through in 5.1? I don't have much time right now, but I would be interested in hearing about your setup.

Jeff

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am not setup for 5.1, but I don't believe that WXYZ is either (at least they weren't when I worked there).:rolleyes: Contact me offline through the private message area.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.