AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does Dishnetwork compare to DirecTV generally (# subscribers, solidity, long term outlook etc)?

I recently attended a home show. There were probably 10 Dishnetwork booths and no DirecTV booths. I also went in a RS today and found they had Dishnetwork. At the home show I had a visit with a Dishnetwork salesman (with potential customers nearby). He told me DirecTV was going out of business. I told him Dishnetwork didn't have a decent PVR (such as Tivo or UltimateTV). He said Dishnetwork had the Dishplayer. I told him (rather loudly) that the Dishplayer sucked. He said he had had both Tivo and Dishplayer and liked Dishplayer a lot better. I couldn't figure out how he could say that in good conscience. I figured he was lying for the potential customers standing by.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dish Network salesman are pretty scummy these days ... no control over what they say or how they lie ... but DTV dealers aren't much better ... best source of real comparison is having tried both or through "legitimate" comparison of features and costs.

Neither is going out of business anytime soon (2 much money to be made), both have new product coming out all the time and reasonably close in terms of price.

I've had both and switched to DTV last year cuz e*'s cost for a 2 tuner pvr was much higher than dtv's (tivo, utv).

Sit down and compare lineup's and costs for what you want with the 2 of them and cable and make a decision (as long as you're happy with it, who cares what others think or say).

I chose DTV but have had all 3 and may change again someday if the price is right (keeping my options open).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
DirecTv is about 1.7 times Echostar's size. It charges a bit more (around $1 or $2) for basic service packages. Echostar's Hard disk based VCR replacements are substantially more expensive than DirecTv's TiVo based units and provide much less functionality (although samo will tell you that less functionality is actually better). DirecTv has more sports than Echostar, Echostar has a superstations package that gets you UPN if you do not have locals available in your area.

/carmi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
I told him (rather loudly) that the Dishplayer sucked
Sounds like you were baiting him. Ironically the Dishplayer is an ancestor of UTV.

I have UltimateTV, and the Dish 501 PVR, which is the real competitor, not the antiquated Dishplayer. Both have their pros and cons, and I've had happy moments and annoyances out of both of them.

The two big differences that affect me regularly:

(1) UTV automatically adjusting recording times when a show moves (eg. Survivor on Wednesday). Other than the intelligent title-based auto-recording, the PVR does everything UTV does. I even like the stability of the guide better - when there's a power outage, I don't have to wait for days for the full guide to be available on the PVR like on the UTV.

(2) The monthly ransom (I mean fee) on UTV. The $9.95 charge per month is a complete ripoff, IMHO, but we're stuck with it.

Oh, and count me as another subscriber who hasn't yet received a replacement card. DTV's CSR says I don't need one. I guess we'll find out...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTV1
I have UltimateTV, and the Dish 501 PVR, which is the real competitor, not the antiquated Dishplayer. Both have their pros and cons, and I've had happy moments and annoyances out of both of them.
Actually, the Dish PVR 721 is the real competitor. (The 501 only has one tuner.) The 721 comes with two tuners and a 120GB drive standard. Basically, all the same connectors and features of the UTV with a few differences:

* The program guide on the PVRs is 7 days instead of the 14 on the UTV

* You can skip forwards 30 seconds like on the UTV, but also backwards 10 seconds

* Does have auto-record contrary to what someone said

* RF Remote control

* Built in VCR remote control (outputs IR signal to operate)

* Expansion port

So the PVR is a very worthy competitor and if I could get NFL on it, I would probably have one instead of the UTV because their programming packages are more reasonable.

Clip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good point, with a few exceptions:

Quote:
The program guide on the PVRs is 7 days
Actually 9.

Quote:
You can skip forwards 30 seconds like on the UTV, but also backwards 10 seconds
Actually UTV also allows skipping back.

Quote:
Built in VCR remote control (outputs IR signal to operate)
Both have this as well.

Quote:
RF Remote control
UHF/RF.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just downloaded the DishPVR 721 brochure from Dish Network and it says not a thing about searching on various criteria or auto-record or anything like it. I don't have one so I can't say conclusively it doesn't, but surely they would list those important features in the brochure if it did do them. Maybe you meant something else by stating it has auto-record?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...dishpvr721.pdf

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schorne
I just downloaded the DishPVR 721 brochure from Dish Network and it says not a thing about searching on various criteria or auto-record or anything like it. I don't have one so I can't say conclusively it doesn't, but surely they would list those important features in the brochure if it did do them. Maybe you meant something else by stating it has auto-record?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...dishpvr721.pdf
Look again.

Clip

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800
The Dish PVR 721 @ $549.99 is not exactly a bargain is it?
True, it is initially expensive. But to get the total cost you have to factor in the fact that you're getting a 120GB drive. Obviously, that's worth more than a 40GB drive. Plus there's some value in not voiding your warranty to get more capacity. Finally, Dish Network's basic service is $9 less per month than DirecTV's, so if you have satellite for a couple of years or more you'd come out ahead.

Clip

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clip
True, it is initially expensive. But to get the total cost you have to factor in the fact that you're getting a 120GB drive. Obviously, that's worth more than a 40GB drive. Plus there's some value in not voiding your warranty to get more capacity. Finally, Dish Network's basic service is $9 less per month than DirecTV's, so if you have satellite for a couple of years or more you'd come out ahead.
Yeah, but then you would have to have Dish for your service, which has several bad points:

1) Too much compression = poor image quality compared to DTV (you almost might as well get D-cable)

2) In some cases, you need two dishes to get certain programming.

3) Not all receivers work with each other. There seems to be multiple standards out there. Sounds like too much potential for customer confusion. No wonder people are so afraid of DSS.

4) No NFL Pack.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTV1
Good point, with a few exceptions:

UHF/RF.
Unfortunately RCA UTV remote is only IR, definitely not RF.

Do Sony W60s have RF?

I have another RCA unit with RF remote and really miss it on the UTV!:(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
4) No NFL Pack.
Yeah, this is the reason I have DirecTV at all. I also have a cable modem so it would be easier if I could just get everything via cable. But no, I have to watch the Ravens and I live in California... I wish there were another solution!

Clip

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Network... some of your info is not correct.. as far as compression the oppisite is actually true. Dish actually compresses less then Directv so that many of the channels on Dish look better then on Directv. Also you never need 2 dishes for Dish unless you want HD (which is a small portion of the community). I don't know about this compatibility problem you speak of but i would be surprised if it was an actual problem for anyone.. I have never heard of it myself.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800
The Dish PVR 721 @ $549.99 is not exactly a bargain is it?
Especially when it won't record off both tuners at the same time very well. My UTV never had a problem with dual record while watching recorded shows!

And talking about the scummy Dish 3rd party sales reps (not talking Dish directly) I got half a message on my voice mail that was something else. I have privacy manager on my phone, so only half the pre-recorded message made it to my voice mail. But basically it was that old, D* going out of business, and we're got you covered, and call this number to get your free installation and programming credits.

I don't know how they knew I had D* but if they'd done their homework they'd have known I also have E* already! :)

I'm glad my state is implementing a better don't call list law against telemarketers. Only problem is the state keeps the money from any violations, otherwise I could stop working! :D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clip

Clip
For most customers, AT100 or AT150 are more common packages than AT50. AT100 with locals is $1 less than TC-Plus with locals. If one is concerned about drive size, one can purchase an HDVR2 with a 120 GB drive and a 1 year/90 day warranty for $449, still $100 cheaper. Another option would be to make every receiver a PVR for $199 getting almost 3 receivers for what one would pay for a 721.

No Echostar receiver has show based recordings, meaning that one can only set their boxes to record timeslots (one can do that using their EPG, but it is still just setting a timer). That means that if a show changes timeslots, has a special 2 hour episode, is "supersized" (adding 10 minutes to an episode), every Echostar receiver will miss those changes. Their boxes are incapable of differentiating between a first run show and a rerun and have almost no recording management system to automatically delete shows on a separate basis for each program (keep only one episode of Sports Center, but all episodes of Farscape, save 4 new Law and Order episodes until I delete them but always have 5 episodes of Law and Order including older episodes). All these features are available on HDVR2 receivers with TiVo service.

/carmi

·
Registered
17,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
Network... some of your info is not correct.. as far as compression the oppisite is actually true. Dish actually compresses less then Directv so that many of the channels on Dish look better then on Directv. Also you never need 2 dishes for Dish unless you want HD (which is a small portion of the community). I don't know about this compatibility problem you speak of but i would be surprised if it was an actual problem for anyone.. I have never heard of it myself.
Actually, a lot of the guys over on the HD forum often refer to E has being somwhat fuzzy compared to D. You're the first person who I've heard say otherwise.

As far as compatability, I've encountered people who have bought additional receivers for their systems only to find they would not work with their dishes. Once they exchanged them for other models (after calling for support and learning they were, indeed, incompatable though they were E units), all was well. Sounds like a pain in the **s to me. I've never heard of anyone having this problem with D.

BTW: I don't even need a second dish for HD with D. I would find it very impractical as I live in an apartment and one dish was a hard enough sell as it was (my landlord knows the rules, so he didn't stop me from putting one up), but two dishes would be over the top.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
BTW: I don't even need a second dish for HD with D. I would find it very impractical as I live in an apartment and one dish was a hard enough sell as it was (my landlord knows the rules, so he didn't stop me from putting one up), but two dishes would be over the top.
Good point Net!

For E* I have 2 antennas connected by an SW21 to get 119, 110, & 61.5.

For D* I only use 101. To add HD I just need a special LNB. But some newer antennas come with the multi switch built in for all 3 sat positions. A lot less clutter on the roof (or balcony, as the case may be). And an apt. might have a tough time pointing at 61.5 or 148!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.