AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Squeed this is because you only have one disk so far. (maybe keep it that way and just upgrade the size later on) There are 4 theoretically possible but since there is only one IDE channel on the mainboard you can only have have 2 disks total in there. BTW did you get the 3.0 software finally?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, last Saturday I received 3.0 and it is so much better than 2.0. I would say that most people on this forum probably forgot what it was like to have 2.0. 3.0 is like a whole different machine.

RE your response on the disks. Is upgrading the replay something that is was designed for or is it a hack ? Having 3 empty drive possibilities leads me to believe that I could just throw a 100 Gig in there as drive 2 and it would be fine.

So I guess what I am asking is, was my unit designed for an upgrade or is upgrading just a hack that the replay community has figured out.

If it was designed for an upgrade and you said that you can only put 1 other drive in there then why are there 3 other possible drives?

-S

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squeed2000
RE your response on the disks. Is upgrading the replay something that is was designed for or is it a hack ? Having 3 empty drive possibilities leads me to believe that I could just throw a 100 Gig in there as drive 2 and it would be fine.

So I guess what I am asking is, was my unit designed for an upgrade or is upgrading just a hack that the replay community has figured out.

If it was designed for an upgrade and you said that you can only put 1 other drive in there then why are there 3 other possible drives?

-S
Yes 3.0 is quite an improvement :D :D The original Replay units came with two drives inside so it was designed for that. The reason the OS has four slots is just because the MOBO (the whole system) is computercentric. The showstoppers never shipped with more than one drive and require a hack to fit another in. The maximum native drive size for the showstopper is 30 gig as far as I know but the nearly identical black Replay branded units also came in a 60 gig maximum native size.

The hackers determined the structure of the filesystem and perfected ways for us to increase the size. The maximum size upgrade that will functionally work is 150 to 160 gig but there are conditions that make that less stable. The maximum functional size is 140 or 120 gig these work quite well with a minimum of special considerations. Really 80 or 100 gig as a single drive is ideal and can be fully and naturally utilized.

The biggest problem people run into when they upgrade that big is just the tendency to overload it with dozens upon dozens of things to record constantly and that can promptly crash the memory and cause all kinds of problems. It's really better to only record the things you will watch and stop at that.

If you have the need to grab some 100 shows or more it's better to get another unit and delegate/divide up the recording load. The other temptation with a lot of space is to record everything In the Highest Quality. That's fine but this makes it less than desirable when you want to view one thing while recording another. With this technology it really performs better if one or more of these multiple tasks is Med or lower quality.

My largest upgraded size is 120 gig and I do everything at the Med quality. I even wish I could set my live TV buffer to that bitrate because it looks and sounds great and is less load on the overall system. I can't tell a big difference between Med and High and I actually have a very critical eye (as in I can't stand to watch DirectTV) BTW that's the one case where you have to use High Quality for everything if you try to record DirectTV on these -- DirecTV looks to me to be delivered at a compression rate somewhere bewteen (showstopper comparable) Med and Standard quality -- DirecTV is already highly compressed right now so it doesn't mpeg well.

That is a brief summary of the drive capacity and issues I'd still wait until the warranty is up it open it. Until then enjoy and hang around here every now and then. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on waiting for the warranty to expire before I crack it open. I don't want to go crazy but I think that 100 Gig would be better than 30. I watch about 20 different shows and I would like to be able to keep 2 episodes of each show stored at any given time. Then I would like to have room to record other cool one-time shows (Like EPOC next Sunday!!)

So are you saying that a 100 Gig hack is stable and I won't notice anything different other than the extra space?

Also, I am assuming that you need to hook that HD up to your PC for some formatting. I have a MAC, am I going to need to take a trip to a friends house or can the MAC do it ?

-S

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Actually you could likely keep 5 episodes of each show if you have room without any greater load on the memory what counts is the total number of different "show themes" you have it looking for each week. You should have no trouble with that.

If you just pull up the "find shows" screen and punch in E-P-O-C-H "done" "done" you'll see we don't even have to wait until Sunday! :eek:

100 gig or 120 gig drive should be flawless. When the time comes you just read up on the "hack" FAQ and go over to a friends if we haven't ported it to MAC by then. OS X should be a maybe? :D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squeed2000
Also, I am assuming that you need to hook that HD up to your PC for some formatting. I have a MAC, am I going to need to take a trip to a friends house or can the MAC do it ?

-S
No mac sorry. Pick a friend with a 2 year or newer motherboard and win 2k or xp and you'll breeze right through the upgrade. Much easier than the linux boot method.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy

No mac sorry. Pick a friend with a 2 year or newer motherboard and win 2k or xp and you'll breeze right through the upgrade. Much easier than the linux boot method.
Ahh Come on Mikeyboy ;) ;) Aren't you gonna release a MAC version of RTVPatch? (the upgrade utility...) I personally like to think outside the box and hold out some imagination. But Mikeboy's correct at this time no one has done that (as far as I know). Actually not many hackers are using OS X although I think it's kool (and there's sure not a lot of hacking of the older mac OS) Linux has more of a foothold, is free, and works on any machine.

And Squeed if you aren't accustomed to windows the linux bootdisk upgrade couldn't be much easier. I think you'd want to build the boot floppy on a PC (one click with the download and a blank floppy) and then disconnect the other non-replay drives before you "patch" your 100 gig HD and follow the simple onscreen prompts. Of course long before that point you'd want to review the RTVPatch hacking project and you can also get a lot of great tips here at this version of the FAQ so until then enjoy the wonders of your showstopper and of course if you have any more questions just ask. :cool:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Ahh Come on Mikeyboy ;) ;) Aren't you gonna release a MAC version of RTVPatch? (the upgrade utility...)
Hi KenL, Just wanted to set this straight. I didn't have anything to do with writing RTVPatch. I wish I was that smart. Take care..

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
...Just wanted to set this straight. I didn't have anything to do with writing RTVPatch. I wish I was that smart...
oh I know Mikeyboy but that shouldn't have to prevent you from adapting a MAC version should it? :eek: ;) I'm just giving you a hard time I couldn't do it either without learning a lot first but maybe someone else can? Or we'll just recommend Squeed use one of the other versions if no one else steps up to plate by then. It'd still be interesting if there was more development for MAC but I'd only mess with OS X. :) And in the near term we're gonna be too busy with the 4000's anyway (hopefully) :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KenL,

I have a ton of "themes" even though they are all empty, are you saying that they are what is taking up my space ?

-S

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
If you have them set to record a certain amount @ "guaranteed" then I think they would. The ones that are just looking for things in general could be set to non-guaranteed maybe? But I know 30 hours just isn't enough... when you consider it's only 15 using Medium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure what TV you're watching your Showstopper on, but on my 55" digital tv, the difference between High and Medium quality is quite substantial.

When I first got the Showstopper, I was so disappointed in the quality of the picture that I wanted to take it back. Now I don't do anything at all in less than the HIGH quality setting, because that's just about tolerable. At high quality, you're only getting 10 hours of record time, so I'll be looking to upgrade the hard drive very soon, I believe.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkeifer
I'm not sure what TV you're watching your Showstopper on, but on my 55" digital tv, the difference between High and Medium quality is quite substantial.
Oh there is a difference but I wouldn't call it substantial myself. But I start with decent source material. Med is fine even on my 4k on on either the 480p out or S-video out. But high is certainly better and great for the 4K since I have such a quantum leap in available space now. I record everything on high on the 4K. For sending of course med is better. I'd say go for it!! Upgrade. I always like to put in the most capacity I can manage using quaxtor drives!! Well let us know what you end up doing!! :cool::cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.