AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter if the specs say ATA/100 or ATA/66-100?

Both the Replay and my PC must be able to see the drive.

I'm pretty sure my PC won't go above 137g, but how do I determine whether it can handle the 100-only drives?

Oh, yes, I have read that I may be able to install a card-based controller to handle disks > 137g on my older mb. Can anyone tell me what to get and where?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Not a problem, as far as I know all hard drives are backward compatible. If your PC bus speed is ATA 66, the drive performs at ATA 66.

For your PC to see large drives you to install a controller card into the mptherboard PCI. When you buy a 120 or 160 gig retail Maxtor drive (maybe other sizes too) an ATA 133 controller card is included in the box. They cost $25 or so when purchased separately.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't forget to use an 80 wire ribbon cable or all you will be getting is ATA/33. The cable is often called an ATA/66 cable but it works for ATA/66/100/133.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
With all due respect, the previous posts did not address the question. ATA 66, 100 and 133 are all related to how fast an IDE hard drive can transfer data. ATA 66 and ATA 100 are older technologies and transfer at 66 Mbps abd 100 Mbps respectifully. ATA 133 can transfer at 133mbps. However, to get 133 you must use a 80 wire connector instead of the standard 40 wire connector. ATA 66-133 does not refer to total disk space.

BTW: Serial drives are on the horizon. The first will be at 150 mps and will ramp up to 600 mps. Of couse, all tis has nothing to do with Replay DVRs.

No flames, just expressing my understanding of current technology. :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jameskollar
However, to get 133 you must use a 80 wire connector instead of the standard 40 wire connector.
AND your controller must support 133. The key words here are Lowest Common Denominator, be it controller or drive. The 2xxx and 3xxx series controllers only supported 33. I have no data regarding the controllers in 4xxx and 5xxx. If in doubt, use the 80 wire ribbon cable, it will not hurt anything if it isn't needed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The connectors on the ATA drives and mb have only 39 pins. Why is it necessary to have 80 wires when there aren't enough pins to carry all those signals?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The connectors have 40 pins but the cable has 80 conductors. I believe that every other wire is a ground, to allow for better signal propagation to allow the higher data rates..

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
What Ed said....

·
Registered
582 Posts
To answer the second part of the question, Promise has an ATA 100 controller as well as ATA 133 and ATA 150 all backwardly compatible. Each controller identifies the drive and recognizes the whole drive - no 137Mb limit. The Promise web page is HERE .

You can find the lowest prices on Pricewatch.com ... the current price for the ATA 100 controller is $25 ... not exactly a budget breaker.:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.