AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't recall seeing this mentioned before.

With disk spindown disabled and unit in the standby mode (at least on models 2xxx and 3xxx) the unit continues buffering the input.

Noticed this on modified units with external HD enclosures when the disk activity light kept flickering even in standby and no scheduled recording in progress.

Turning unit back on I was able to back up on the program to the start of the buffering section.

Conclusion: The ReplayTV continues watching TV even when it's turned off and you're not at home.:D :D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
With "disable disk spindown" when you turn off the replay the buffer is gone. Also if the unit dials in the buffer is history as well.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Conclusion: The ReplayTV continues watching TV even when it's turned off and you're not at home.:D :D
Perhaps it's just "watching" and "waiting" for the Curmudgeon's return? :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
With "disable disk spindown" when you turn off the replay the buffer is gone.
Nope. That's why I felt it worth the post. I tested this, it was no hasty conclusion.

Buffering a live show I turned the unit OFF. Drive activity continued. A minute later I turned unit back ON. Was able to IR over the period unit was OFF and even farther back in time. There were no breaks in the program.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Perhaps it's just "watching" and "waiting" for the Curmudgeon's return? :D
Sorry to disappoint those who thought they were rid of the Curmudgeon.

I took a week off to move to new digs. Literally next door to where I had been and that resulted in my ****e-canning TimeWarner and going over to satellite (Dish). Can you believe that TWC told me, with a straight face yet, that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to transfer my service? This is a 50 foot move folks.

First they claimed my new address was bad, that it didn't exist; apparently the previous occupant never had cable service, so to TWC this was a non-existent location. So they tell me it has to go to engineering, and then to new construction. I told them that there's a pole right in front of the house not 30 feet from the structure, that I can see the cable distribution box, and that there is an unused tap visible. I could do the cable drop myself in half an hour. But when did logic have anything to do with how a cable company operates. They spend tons on trying to get new customers, but won't even try to keep old, reliable, established customers.

So I told them that I just couldn't wait for the environmental impact study to be completed and that , since they were no longer the only game in town and 4 to 6 weeks was unacceptable, it was good-bye.

I hope I have no reason to regret my decision. It'll also give me a chance to try out the JVC PVR501 cable receiver with built-in 35 hour PVR. Just a $99 upgrade fee and 3 months free service included.

We shall see.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Nope. That's why I felt it worth the post. I tested this, it was no hasty conclusion.

Buffering a live show I turned the unit OFF. Drive activity continued. A minute later I turned unit back ON. Was able to IR over the period unit was OFF and even farther back in time. There were no breaks in the program.
You got me BaysideBas! I run my Showstopper with "disable disk spindown" but dislike watching live or even delayed TV. Never noticed it till you set us straight.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this info has been posted before (in fact, I think it's even in the old faq in the discussion about disabling spindown, though I could be wrong about that). Anyway, I think people have mentioned that one of the 'positives' in disabling spindown is the ability to wake up in the am, turn on the old replay and go back into the buffer if you want to see the last few minutes of the news that you already missed; also, people complain about the replay HDs booting up from time to time to check whether anything is supposed to be recorded, and that's another reason why some people disable spindown.

As for me (yup, it's all about me), I never saw the point of disabling spindown and then turning off the unit to begin with -- turning off the unit with spindown disabled doesn't really turn it off, but just cuts the video and audio output, which doesn't save any meaningful amount of power or wear and tear. So I leave my units on all the time (with spindown enabled) so that, when I want to have some fun playing around inside the unit, I can turn the unit off and have a controlled sppindown rather than yanking the plug and watching (hearing) my HDs grind to a halt in the middle of some read/write.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Alan. As you can see that thread was posted 1 month before I joined the forum, so I shouldn't feel bad in "rediscovering" the functionality.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
No biggie; in fact it was rather obnoxious of me to point it out in the first place. (I'm jockeying for position in the next poll about annoying posters, but it's hard to compete with KenL, even though I had that good one referring to you as 'she').

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
By the way, PrMan's faq is truly showing its age. What happened with that project by some brave volunteers to replace it with an updated version that picks up life after PrMan abandoned us (replay 4000 and 4500, swapdv and replaypc, etc.)?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just a warning for you BaysideBas, I don't recommend using the dish pvr501 AND a tivo or replay. Even if you don't have any recordings scheduled with the dishplayer, a misinterpreted remote code can put it to the menu and then screen saver, and when it has a new software release, it will sit on a screen that waits for you to press the select button on a single choice . My dishplayer 7100 has caused me some grief this way (it also overheats and crashes when something is on top of it) but it will work. Just wanted to warn you.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warning Foundation. The JVC501 is going in the bedroom and will not be a signal source for any other PVR. Yeah I could see trying to manage conflicts between the internal recorder and an external PVR :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.