AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At (sort of) random intervals, I experience a GREAT DEAL of DISK TRASHING on my ReplayTVs (5040A upgraded to 200GB and stock 5516A; my 5040B upgraded to 80GB is in the basement so I'm not around to 'hear' it).

I'm trying to 'piece together' the reason why and #1 on my list seems to be DVArchive v3.2 with all those new "DVR space usage update:" messages. It seems to me that just changing a shows 'Category' (i.e. from 'TV Shows' to 'No Dups') sparks a flurry of disk activity.

#2 on my list is the Total Disk Capacity - but, although the 5040A was upgraded to 200GB, the 5516A was ALWAYS 160GB!?!

I'll also randomly experience this when switching 'Replay Guides' - i.e. going from a ReplayTV to a DVArchive is (usually) quick, but, going to another ReplayTV can sometimes HANG for ~10+ seconds! Also, and Henry has mentioned this before, MANY times I have to go back-and-forth between Replays (ReplayTV or DVArchive) to get the Guide to eventually update (I take note of the initial 'Hours Free' and watch to see it update). This update is USUALLY faster IF the 'Source' ReplayTV is idle.

How about the rest of you 'ReplayTV Old-Timers' - anyone else seeing this DISK TRASHING?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I hear my hard drive make a lot of noise when I delete a show on a remote Replay. I think because it isn't the local snapshot, the Replay seems to have to go to a lot of work to rebuild the remote snapshot...

By the way, I finally got around to "watching" what is going on with room-to-room networking when you access a remote Replay whose guide has changed, and it is definitely the remote Replay replying that the guide has NOT changed. I have tried a lot of tricks to see if I could make it want to say that the guide has changed, but I would have to suspect that even though the guide has changed on that Replay, there must be some caching or something else going on whereby the remote Replay says that its guide has not changed. The exchange is based on the time of the last guide. The local Replay asks the remote Replay for a guide update since the time of the last guide it received. The remote Replay only has that time to go on and either replies with an updated guide or that the guide has not changed since that time. So, the remote Replay is probably doing something pretty simple to see if the time of the last guide is up to date or not. So, even though the remote Replay's guide has changed, whatever that Replay checks as the time of the last guide must not get updated right away, so the remote Replay replies that the guide is up to date. Sorry, I forgot to update you on my findings...

Henry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts