AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising through the Inquirer today I came upon an old article that describes how to shrink Win98se into less than 5 MB . This got me thinking... would it be possible to put this stripped down Windows (with some extra space holding video and network drivers) onto a compact flash card (32 MB, perhaps) and boot a HTPC without a hard drive, and use a server located in another room for storage? Would a 100MB or 1GB LAN be fast enough for PVR? Would lack of swap space be an issue, especially on a machine with large amounts of RAM (512MB to 1GB)? Anyone tried it? Anyone willing to give it a shot?

·
Registered
551 Posts
It is possible if you can shrink Windows w/ driver and player less than 32MB. One important suggestion is about swap. Disable swap to give longer life to CF and make system faster. Many people are using CF for mobile computer solution already, so I guess you can find many information regarding to how to make your HTPC diskless.

I went network diskless solution. Because, the price range is... 256MB $20, 512MB $50, 1GB $100. And, my Windows XP occupied about 1.5G. I'm just too lazy to try to shrink it. ;) I bought BXP and using it well from 256MB main memory HTPC. Detailed information is available at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=273545

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is also the guys over at knoppix who put a working linux ditro onto CD who have no done with same for USB thumb drives. I'm pretty sure they are Debian guys, I haven't played with knoppiz myself, just have reccomended that people try it if they want to see what a linux desktop looks like without the format and install of their main harddrive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BXP seems to be a good product, and I'd prefer XP to Win98 for more reasons than I want to go into, but I've a need to get a new TV first, so money is tight. My Samsung doesn't cut it, and my Atech case has wiped the last of the HTPC fund for a while.

Knoppix is indeed cool, and with MythTV coming along well, its a viable option. However, I'm not all that comfortable with Linux yet, and I eventually want an HDTV card, and right now only one is available with Linux drivers (and it only works in Linux). Maybe someone will figure out how to get XP into 256 meg, and I can use the CF card that I have left over after someone stole my digital camera.

·
Registered
155 Posts
XPlite is now out. I have shrunk windows XP pro to under 800mb. I bought a used 1gb 2.5in flash drive off ebay for $120, this is faster and more reliable than any other consumer CF card that you would use for a camera and such AND cheaper...but it's also used. Now, all my programs and XP fit on a silent, quick flash drive and produce little to no heat.

·
Registered
697 Posts
the day is going to come , when a third party company decided to make a software that come on cd and partition your raw hard drive, read all your hard ware, and install them, and this software is only for htpc ,

this software will have all dvd player programs,

all music programs for cd`s and all kind of music files,

and also will come with video capture,and cable and SAT ready to play,

all custom resolution for your choice of video card.

also don`t forget it will come with best graphic program for digital cam, so you can enjoy slide show,

better yet is not MS software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.