AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if you guys remember the game Soldier of Fortune I and II but what happened to the idea of dismemberment in video games? I remember when these games came out i was awe inspired by the GHOUL engine.

Any games in teh future going to have dismemberment other than the chainsaw in GOW

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley /forum/post/0

I dont know if you guys remember the game Soldier of Fortune I and II but what happened to the idea of dismemberment in video games? I remember when these games came out i was awe inspired by the GHOUL engine.

Any games in teh future going to have dismemberment other than the chainsaw in GOW

I don't think I've played an online multiplayer game more than SOF! It actually got to the point that I networked two desktops together in my apartment so that my wife (then my girlfriend) could play online with me.

Good times...

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Wow, I'd forgotten about SOFI and II. I used to play SOFII on a couple of ladders.

I'm going to guess the whole dismemberment thing was forgotten about. It seemed like that was back in the day when specific points of damage was the cool new thing. I remember seeing the mapping to the SOFII bodies showing how many zones you could shoot with different effects.

Thinking about it, it never really added much to the games, hence the reason I'd totally forgotten about it. SOFII reminds me of some good times though!

-JR

·
Registered
112 Posts
SOF I and II were sweet! I love those games. Dismemberment would be sweet in some new 360 games and I'd like some more games with better head-shot and neck shot death animations. I just played the Crackdown demo and was thinking how much better the game would be with blood soaked body parts flying around after a massive explosion. The chainsaw is the best part of GoW.

·
Banned
721 Posts
It was pretty fun. I used to love blasting the dead enemies in the arms and legs when they were dead. You could see the bones! Then I would move to the head and blast that with the shotgun and it would either blow to pieces or half of the head would explode and the other half would just look at you all contorted and deformed. It nearly brings a tear to my eye the fun me and my friends used to have on these cadavers. Oh and who can forget Perfect Dark on n64? There was this laser thing you could get and just fry your dead enemies and then write on their dead bodies it was so precise! Yeah, I'll agree. More dismemberment in games.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I remember playing that first episode of SOF2 and wondering if I was playing a next-gen game or a really, really bad Quake 2 mod.

That first episode of SOF2 caused a ton of people to chuck the game outright. I admit, I didn't have nearly as much fun with SOF2 versus SOF1, which I thought was revolutionary.

I'll still occasionally play SOF1, I've never fired up SOF2 since the first time I played it through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.