AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Disney and Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced what is sure to be one of this holiday's bestselling home video releases, Pixar's Up, is coming to Blu-ray Disc and DVD on November 10.

On that same day, Pixar's Monster's, Inc. will also be released after being delayed from a simultaneous bow alongside A Bug's Life in late spring.

The roughly six month delay has seen Monsters, Inc. grow from a three-disc to four-disc set with the additional disc containing a DVD version. Up will be a similar four-disc set as well and both will carry a relatively steep SRP of $45.99.

In addition to a standalone four-disc set, Pixar's Up will also be available packaged in the Luxo Jr. Collectible Desk Lamp set (pictured below). Along with Up on Blu-ray, this set packs a replica of the Luxo Jr. lamp and a base with a drawer designed to hold the complete Pixar Blu-ray collection. The set will be available for a limited time and retail for $199.

Bonus features for Up and Monsters, Inc. on Blu-ray are outlined below.

Up

* Cine-Explore (BD exclusive)

* Global Guardian Badge Game (BD exclusive)

* Geography Game (BD exclusive)

* 8 Documentaries (BD exclusive)

* New: Doug's Special Mission animated short

* Partly Cloudy animated short

* Directory commentary

* Adventure is Out There - documentary chronicling the filmmakers' journey to South America

* The Many Endings of Muntz - Witness the demise of Charles Muntz with an unseen alternate take

* DVD version

* Digital copy

Monsters, Inc.

* NEW: Monster's Inc Ride and Go Seek: Building Monstropolis in Tokyo

* NEW: Filmmakers' Roundtable with director Pete Docter, co-director Lee Unkrich and producer Darla Anderson

* NEW: Roz's 100-Door Challenge Game

* BD-Live

* Ported DVD bonus features

* Digital copy

* DVD version
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Disney...n_Blu-ray/5483

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Disney and Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced what is sure to be one of this holiday's bestselling home video releases, Pixar's Up, is coming to Blu-ray Disc and DVD on November 10.

On that same day, Pixar's Monster's, Inc. will also be released after being delayed from a simultaneous bow alongside A Bug's Life in late spring.

Woohoo!

Quote:
The roughly six month delay has seen Monsters, Inc. grow from a three-disc to four-disc set with the additional disc containing a DVD version. Up will be a similar four-disc set as well and both will carry a relatively steep SRP of $45.99.

Wha?!
So we save money by ordering it from Japan now?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Doesn't everyone love the direction Disney is taking with pricing in these days of the global recession?

Cue the "but nobody ever pays MSRP" and "Pixar movies are the greatest so we should expect to pay more" comments.

Yes I agree with these to some degree but actual selling price is usually relative to MSRP even though nobody pays MSRP. A higher MSRP will likely mean a higher selling price.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Makes me glad I already imported Monsters Inc. from Amazon UK for ~$25

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
What a load of crap. So because Disney throws in the DVD + Digital Copy (which I would much rather do without), they charge a ridiculous MSRP? A higher MSRP will translate into a higher street price. I bet this will be $35 at the store.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts

Quote:

This is ridiculous, utterly ridiculous and down right greedy of Disney. Is this the studios way of forcing people to use digital distribution by overpricing physical media? I'm sick and tired of these digital copy and +DVD versions of BD. Just give me the fraking BD, that is all I want! Now I will be throwing away 2 disc from Disney sets, guess they don't care about the environment (not that I really do).

This wouldn't bother me one bit if they would also offer a BD only version along side these +digital copies and DVD versions. I have absolutely no use for digital copies, those disc are coasters to me. The DVD copy I might be okay with but, I already have Monsters Inc. I would just like the option of purchasing it with or without. More times then not, I would probably just buy the BD only versions.

Quote:
...Luxo Jr. lamp and a base with a drawer designed to hold the complete Pixar Blu-ray collection.

This is actually kinda tempting but, is the drawer designed with enough room for future Pixar catalog releases or just the few that have been release so far (and does it take into account that some will have the doulde thickness case for Wall-E while others have the normal thickness case)?

·
Registered
559 Posts
well i will buy Up on Blu Ray and give the DVD to a friend, since i don't need both versions, so that will be one less DVD sell for disney

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Disney will continue to have high MSRPs as long as there are people willing to pay that price. I doubt Disney cares whether you throw away the extra discs, use them as coasters, or whine about the high MSRP - if you're buying the discs the day they come out, you're the cause of the problem you're complaining about.

Are these discs priced higher than a typical Blu-Ray? yes. Are they too expensive? Not if you're willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm guessing they aren't releasing a 3D version?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My guess even with the steep list you'll be able to get Monsters, Inc for about $28 from Amazon on release week if not less.

Still, I am certainly happy with my $25 UK which is also months earlier. I don't need a DVD copy anyway - that's why I got the BD LOL!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Disney hasn't yet released any of their 3-D animated movies in anaglyph conversions, which is just as well as they look awful comapred to the polarized theatrical versions anyway. When the new Blu 3-D standard gets finalized, they'll of course end up double dipping on them all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Disney can shove this DVD & DC crap up their asses. Blatant and transparent price gouging for something most people who buy it will never use. I wouldn't pay $41 for Seven Samurai, so there's no chance in hell I'm spending that much on Up.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This pricing scheme is a little ridiculous. With that high of an MSRP ($44.99), we'll be lucky to see them below $25 on release day, which is my cut-off point. And I only pay that for titles I really love and need to have it on release day. Otherwise, I'll rent it once and then keep a short list that gets redeemed when there is a sale, such as the DDD 25% off sales. I did this for the X-Men Trilogy, Sin City, and 300 Ultimate this time around. Next time will be these two plus Gladiator, probably.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But don't you guys thing we'll be seeing the price at Amazon go down real soon? I mean, at least for $30... That's my opinion, since the SINGLE-DISC DVD is $27 now... no way that's the price they'll be asking for... I just think it's high now because today's the first day of pre-order... I bet it'll go down soon...

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 /forum/post/16961503

Makes me glad I already imported Monsters Inc. from Amazon UK for ~$25

Me as well. Same extras as the US disc, minus the unneeded DC and DVD. And I dont have to wait 3 more months to watch this great disc. Very happy with my $24 purchase.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin /forum/post/16961939

I'm guessing they aren't releasing a 3D version?

Not a big loss. The 3-D was almost an afterthought. Very little depth going on and the reduced brightness didn't help either. An anaglyph version would not be kind to this film.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Monster's Inc was great and so was Up.

However,I for one am getting tired of Disney doing this "one for all package" and forcing people to buy all these extras. Disney needs to create 2 versions. One w/o a digital copy/DVD with their original MSRPs and another 'family' copy for those families out there for their kids the put the digital version on their iPods and for those soccer moms to play the DVD version in their mini van's DVD player for the kids to watch every time they drive their car. I just want to watch the movie on a 106" screen and have no need for those extras. adding $15 for extras every time I want to purchase a movie adds up and it's a TOTAL waste of money for me and many others out there.

Blu-Ray has been out long enough that no one should have to pay no more than $25 for a new release movie.

1 - 20 of 450 Posts