721 - 740 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You won’t need Disney Plus to watch Mulan starting next week

I guess the Disney+ subscription bump has been tapped out. Time to gather money from any service now.

Reactions: mgkdragn

·
Registered
16,118 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Disney Urged By Investor Daniel Loeb To Ditch Shareholder Dividend And Use That Money To Fund Streaming

More content production sooner sounds good to me. 'Increased pricing power', not so much... :whistle:

Reactions: TV123

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Disney/Pixar’s ‘Soul’ Moving To Christmas Day Release On Disney+

Straight to Disney+ monthly subscribers. No PVOD window.

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Disney/Pixar’s ‘Soul’ Moving To Christmas Day Release On Disney+

Straight to Disney+ monthly subscribers. No PVOD window.
good, no more of that Mulan $30 price on top of the Disney+ sub

·
Registered
15,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
good, no more of that Mulan $30 price on top of the Disney+ sub
I don't know about 'no more' for future content. Just not for this particular movie.

If it is late 2021 until enough people are vaccinated and feel safe, we could see a number of additional titles that they will have to make decisions on whether to wait for a 2022 theater date or monetize via PVOD and streaming.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Disney Urged By Investor Daniel Loeb To Ditch Shareholder Dividend And Use That Money To Fund Streaming

More content production sooner sounds good to me. 'Increased pricing power', not so much... :whistle:
"Along with Hulu and ESPN+, however, the new platform is losing a considerable amount of money, as forecast by the company. Wall Street analysts peg the yearly losses at about $2 billion .. "

That cheap teaser rollout can't last ..

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I don't know about 'no more' for future content. Just not for this particular movie.

If it is late 2021 until enough people are vaccinated and feel safe, we could see a number of additional titles that they will have to make decisions on whether to wait for a 2022 theater date or monetize via PVOD and streaming.
I personally feel the pandemic has / will cause a seismic change in Theater going habits .. that will likely be permanent .. it's not doomsday for Theaters, but the longer things are like they are, the more people will continue to adapt .. I don't know the numbers, but I would speculate that sales of 75" and up TV's have been on the rise ..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
"Along with Hulu and ESPN+, however, the new platform is losing a considerable amount of money, as forecast by the company. Wall Street analysts peg the yearly losses at about $2 billion .. "

That cheap teaser rollout can't last ..
I think at launch Disney projected profitability for this new digital platform approach at 2024-2025. That was pretty eye-opening at just how much it costs to get these services up, stock them with content, maintain them and then start feeding the engines to produce more. Even a company like Disney with all of its intellectual IP and back catalog need years to make this profitable. I thought all along the 3-year discounted pricing at launch was just about where Disney projected that they would have enough of their back catalog recovered from other services (i.e. Netflix) and enough new Disney+ Originals hitting year-round (i.e. The Mandalorian, WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel) to justify a pretty significant price hike to get them to a profitable model.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I think at launch Disney projected profitability for this new digital platform approach at 2024-2025. That was pretty eye-opening at just how much it costs to get these services up, stock them with content, maintain them and then start feeding the engines to produce more. Even a company like Disney with all of its intellectual IP and back catalog need years to make this profitable. I thought all along the 3-year discounted pricing at launch was just about where Disney projected that they would have enough of their back catalog recovered from other services (i.e. Netflix) and enough new Disney+ Originals hitting year-round (i.e. The Mandalorian, WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel) to justify a pretty significant price hike to get them to a profitable model.

I don't really disagree, however, all projections were done pre-Pandemic and with the loss of such a large portion of the Theater revenue, especially on the MCU side .. no telling what the suits will come up with ..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't really disagree, however, all projections were done pre-Pandemic and with the loss of such a large portion of the Theater revenue, especially on the MCU side .. no telling what the suits will come up with ..
True. That plan and projection were pre-pandemic.

Certainly the pace of Disney+ Original content has suffered. The service will really shine when the back catalog is all in house and there are enough Originals humming along in production to have new content hitting the service multiple times a month year round.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
True. That plan and projection were pre-pandemic.

Certainly the pace of Disney+ Original content has suffered. The service will really shine when the back catalog is all in house and there are enough Originals humming along in production to have new content hitting the service multiple times a month year round.
I'll add one other note :: The theme park revenue is down fairly substantially as well .. so, I think the bright spot for Disney is Disney+ right now .. I'm only saying that, with all things considered, there has to be some degree of pressure to raise subscriber fees ..

Reactions: blade005

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Reactions: musicman0725

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Disney Plus finally understands how fans want to watch Marvel movies
We love a good organization structure
by Julia Alexander - THE VERGE - Oct 9, 2020

NIce addition to the service.
I have to agree .. organization was badly needed .. if you wanted a timeline previously, you had to look it up online ..

Cheers to this ..

721 - 740 of 780 Posts