AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1094 Posts

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Billie Lourd, Mark Hamill Remember Carrie Fisher On Anniversary Of Her Death
By Dino-Ray Ramos

Actress Billie Lourd took to Instagram to empathize with those who have lost loved ones due to the pandemic while honoring her late mother Carrie Fisher on the fourth anniversary of the Hollywood icon and Star Wars legend’s death.

“Sending my love and strength to everyone out there that’s missing a loved one they’ve lost,” Lourd wrote on Sunday. “Especially those of you who have lost someone during this crazy year. You’re not alone.”

Fisher died on December 27, 2016, after suffering a heart attack on a flight to Los Angeles. Fisher’s mother and Lourd’s grandmother Debbie Reynolds, died the next day as a result of a stroke.

This continues Lourd’s tributes to her mother and grandmother. In 2019, she remembered Fisher with a song. She also “appeared” as Fisher’s iconic Princess/General Leia in a digitally altered scene in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which was filmed before Fisher’s death. She also played the granddaughter of Reynolds’s character on the recent Will & Grace reboot.

In addition, Fisher’s Star Wars co-star Mark Hamill also took to social media to honor the actress and writer. He posted a screengrab of Star Wars end credits that reads “In Loving Memory of our Princess Carrie Fisher” with the caption “#AlwaysWithUs”.

http://instagr.am/p/CJT7ErMrX0G/
http://instagr.am/p/CJUAWaxlL9B/

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Disney and Pixar's Soul | Now Streaming | Disney+

Disney and Pixar’s Soul: Virtual Red Carpet

Rapid Fire Interview | Disney and Pixar's Soul | Disney+

The Cast of Disney and Pixar's Soul | What's Up, Disney+ | Episode 10

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Luke Skywalker Finally Makes It to ‘Tosche’ Station Thanks to Mark Hamill (Photo)

And he picked up some power converters too
Brian Welk

Mark Hamill gave “Star Wars” fans everywhere a hilarious Christmas present on Monday by fulfilling Luke Skywalker’s unfulfilled wish from “A New Hope” to visit Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.

You know the scene: Luke’s Uncle Owen has just purchased two droids (C-3PO and R2-D2) to help out around the house and he tells Luke to take them over to the garage and get them cleaned up before dinner.

“But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters,” Luke complains. “You can waste time with your friends after your chores are done,” Uncle Owen replies. Before you know it, Artoo runs away to find Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke catches up with him and learns his father was a Jedi Knight, his aunt and uncle are killed by the Empire, and Luke is on his way to joining the rebellion against the empire. And he never did make it to Tosche Station.

Until Monday, when Hamill shared a silly, heavily photoshopped image of himself in front of a Mobil gas station with the “Mobil” logo replaced with “Tosche,” holding a large red-colored power converter.

“I can finally cross this off my “to-do” list,” Hamill captioned the image on Twitter. “#BetterLateThanNever.”

s for where the original, unedited photo comes from, we’re pretty sure it was taken in Ireland on March 17, 2018, as Hamill is wearing the exact same outfit he wore that day at the Dublin St. Patrick’s day parade.

Even though there isn’t really a Tosche Station in real life, at least for a blessed moment, a teenage space boy’s dream finally came true.

Check out Mark Hamill’s tweet here and below:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Robert Rodriguez Says Alita: Battle Angel 2 Could Happen On Disney+

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Mark Hamill “Literally Speechless” After ‘The Mandalorian’s Ming-Na Wen Praises ‘Star Wars’ Legend
By Dino-Ray Ramos

Mulan icon and The Mandalorian actress Ming-Na Wen took to Twitter on New Year’s Eve to praise Star Wars legend Mark Hamill on the Emmy-winning Disney+ series after he made a very memorable cameo in the Season 2 finale that is still on people’s minds.

Wen retweeted Hamill’s excitement for seeing fan reactions to his appearance in the season finale. “You (& Luke) have been immensely inspirational & impactful to my childhood & as an adult,” she wrote. “To have shared a scene with you in @themandalorian is truly one of the biggest highlight, not just in my career, but in my life. Thank you. 😍❤ Your fan always, Ming-Na aka Fennec.”

Hamill responded with equal praise: “So this happened & I’m literally speechless, other than to say: the pleasure was all mine @MingNa! Much❤, Mar🐫 @themandalorian #YoureNotSoBadYourself.”

She responded, “I’ve reached nerd nirvana. Gotta say, this Is WAY cooler than the time Steven Tyler spilled red wine on my arm and wiped it off with cocktail napkins at a party.”

Hamill’s appearance as the iconic Luke Skywalker in the season finale of The Mandalorian is just one of many moments in the series that fueled fan excitement. During the end credits, Wen’s Fennec makes an appearance alongside Star Wars fave Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison). After the two take over Jabba the Hut’s palace, a title card pops up that says: “THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT…. COMING DECEMBER 2021”. Morrison and Wen are set to appear in the upcoming spinoff The Book of Boba Fett which is set to premiere in December 2021. Robert Rodriguez will serve as executive producer, along with Favreau and Dave Filoni. Who knows? Maybe Hamill will make another cameo alongside Wen in the spinoff.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Disney Plus Reveals First Titles For International Star Brand: ‘Big Sky’, ‘Love Victor’, ’24’, ‘Die Hard’ Among Lineup
By Andreas Wiseman

Disney Plus in Europe has revealed the first titles to launch next month on its Star brand, the studio’s new international online home for ‘mature’ content with additional parental controls.

Disney says the Star lineup will double the amount of content available to watch on Disney+ overseas, including shows and films from Disney Television Studios, FX, 20th Century Studios and 20th Television.

The brand, the sixth to sit on Disney+ alongside Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney and National Geographic, will host the first two Star Originals in the shape of drama Big Sky from David E. Kelley (Big Little Lies) and Love Victor, which is set in the world of the original 2018 film Love, Simon.

The former is a thriller that follows private detectives Cassie Dewell and Cody Hoyt as they join forces with his estranged wife and ex-cop, Jenny Hoyt, to search for two sisters who have been kidnapped by a truck driver on a remote highway in Montana. Katheryn Winnick, Kylie Bunbury, Brian Geraghty and Ryan Phillippe star.

Also showing on the channel will be hit series 24, Lost, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, Prison Break, The X-Files, Atlanta, Black-ish, and some of the Die Hard movies. The lineup announced today is UK specific so local rights restrictions may apply in other markets.

At its investor day last year, Disney said Star will launch in two different ways: Latin America is getting its own stand-alone app due to it including sports in June 2021, while Star will be integrated with Disney+ in Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore from February 23, 2021. Star will not be available in the U.S.

Subscription pricing will increase in most overseas markets at the launch of Star. For example, in the UK, a Disney Plus sub will increase to £7.99/month or £79.90/annual from its current £5.99/month or £59.99/year.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
‘The Undoing’ Breakout Noma Dumezweni Joins Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ Remake

Actress and singer Halle Bailey will star as the lead Ariel
Umberto Gonzalez

Noma Dumezweni, who broke out playing Hugh Grant’s defense lawyer in HBO’s “The Undoing,” has joined the cast of Disney’s live-action remake of “The Little Mermaid.”

Actress and singer Halle Bailey will star as Ariel. Melissa McCarthy is playing evil aunt Ursula and Javier Bardem is set to play King Triton. British actor Jonah Hauer-King is set to play Prince Eric.

Rob Marshall is directing, and the film is produced by John DeLuca, Marc Platt and Lin-Manuel Miranda. David Magee (“Mary Poppins Returns”) wrote the script.

“The Little Mermaid” will feature the 1989 animated classic’s original songs by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, as well as new songs with music by Menken and lyrics by Miranda. Jessica Virtue and Allison Erlikhman are overseeing for Disney.

The original “The Little Mermaid” follows Ariel, a teenage mermaid who dreams of living on the surface world and marrying Prince Eric. Her fortunes change when a sea witch named Ursula offers to send Ariel to the human world in exchange for her beautiful voice. It won two Oscars for Disney for Best Original Score and Best Original Song for “Under the Sea.”

Dumezweni most recently starred in “The Undoing” opposite Grant and Nicole Kidman. She was also recently seen in Hulu’s adaptation of “Normal People” and will next be seen in “Made For Love,” also for HBO.

Dumezweni is repped by Principal Entertainment and Conway van Gelder Grant.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
Disney Plus Reveals First Titles For International Star Brand: ‘Big Sky’, ‘Love Victor’, ’24’, ‘Die Hard’ Among Lineup
What is this .. ?? A rebranded HULU .. ??

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
What is this .. ?? A rebranded HULU .. ??
International version of more adult oriented content that will be a brand tab inside the Disney+ app for international countries. I read a few articles that said HULU was sidelined in favor of STAR for international expansion mostly due name recognition in South Asia and that Disney will owe Comcast a payout on the value of Hulu in 2024. An International expansion of HULU would have boosted its value and increased the final bill due to Comcast.

Bloomberg.com article excerpt:
Disney was concerned about an additional cost looming on the horizon in January 2024. A little over a year ago, Disney agreed to buy out Comcast Corp.’s one-third ownership share in Hulu at a price to be determined later. At the time, that stake was worth about $9 billion, a sum that could shrink if Disney invested more money for programming and diluted Comcast’s stake. But Comcast is guaranteed at least $5.8 billion, and an international expansion would boost Hulu’s overall value — and, as a result, increase Disney’s final bill to Comcast. This was another factor in Disney’s decision not to move forward with Hulu’s proposal.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
International version of more adult oriented content that will be a brand tab inside the Disney+ app for international countries. I read a few articles that said HULU was sidelined in favor of STAR for international expansion mostly due name recognition in South Asia and that Disney will owe Comcast a payout on the value of Hulu in 2024. An International expansion of HULU would have boosted its value and increased the final bill due to Comcast.
I wondered because, although I don't know every show on HULU, there seemed to me some that were ..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I wondered because, although I don't know every show on HULU, there seemed to me some that were ..
Yea. It won't be like the US HULU that aggregates from different networks, but more towards content that Disney owns across all their movie and tv studios. Hopefully a precursor to something they will add to the Disney+ service in the US down the road. A more adult oriented 'Brand Tab' in the service.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Yea. It won't be like the US HULU that aggregates from different networks, but more towards content that Disney owns across all their movie and tv studios. Hopefully a precursor to something they will add to the Disney+ service in the US down the road. A more adult oriented 'Brand Tab' in the service.
I don't think that's going to happen in the U.S. at all. Disney is a majority owner in Hulu and their plan for this market is to put all "adult" content there. The "Star" brand is only needed overseas because, as mentioned, Disney cannot expand Hulu internationally without a big payout to Comcast. Two different strategies for different markets.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I don't think that's going to happen in the U.S. at all. Disney is a majority owner in Hulu and their plan for this market is to put all "adult" content there. The "Star" brand is only needed overseas because, as mentioned, Disney cannot expand Hulu internationally without a big payout to Comcast. Two different strategies for different markets.
We will see. There was talk and a few articles last summer that Disney was considering a pin-based tab on Disney+ that would give parental control, but would allow content from FOX and Touchstone studios to be available on Disney+. I keep hearing that HULU will be the home for adult oriented Disney owned content, but I haven't seen it. Seems like they are willing to do as little as possible to HULU until 2024 in order to not increase the value of HULU and owe Comcast a larger buyout payment. They are sitting on a lot of content that should be somewhere. I guess they can continue to license out the content to other services. But, that does seem to go against the 'all in' strategy they seem to have for Disney+ streaming.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
We will see. There was talk and a few articles last summer that Disney was considering a pin-based tab on Disney+ that would give parental control, but would allow content from FOX and Touchstone studios to be available on Disney+. I keep hearing that HULU will be the home for adult oriented Disney owned content, but I haven't seen it. Seems like they are willing to do as little as possible to HULU until 2024 in order to not increase the value of HULU and owe Comcast a larger buyout payment. They are sitting on a lot of content that should be somewhere. I guess they can continue to license out the content to other services. But, that does seem to go against the 'all in' strategy they seem to have for Disney+ streaming.
That's all so true .. I would wonder, though, if beefing up HULU with that Fox and Touchstone material would not be worth the extra end cost to Comcast .. like you said, it's a goodly amount of content ..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's all so true .. I would wonder, though, if beefing up HULU with that Fox and Touchstone material would not be worth the extra end cost to Comcast .. like you said, it's a goodly amount of content ..
That is why I wonder if they are considering adding another brand on Disney+ for that content. You beef up Disney+. You can justify additional price increases and you don't impact the HULU buyout value in 2024. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
By Andreas Wiseman

Disney Plus in Europe has revealed the first titles to launch next month on its Star brand, the studio’s new international online home for ‘mature’ content with additional parental controls.

Disney says the Star lineup will double the amount of content available to watch on Disney+ overseas, including shows and films from Disney Television Studios, FX, 20th Century Studios and 20th Television.

The brand, the sixth to sit on Disney+ alongside Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney and National Geographic, will host the first two Star Originals in the shape of drama Big Sky from David E. Kelley (Big Little Lies) and Love Victor, which is set in the world of the original 2018 film Love, Simon.

The former is a thriller that follows private detectives Cassie Dewell and Cody Hoyt as they join forces with his estranged wife and ex-cop, Jenny Hoyt, to search for two sisters who have been kidnapped by a truck driver on a remote highway in Montana. Katheryn Winnick, Kylie Bunbury, Brian Geraghty and Ryan Phillippe star.

Also showing on the channel will be hit series 24, Lost, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, Prison Break, The X-Files, Atlanta, Black-ish, and some of the Die Hard movies. The lineup announced today is UK specific so local rights restrictions may apply in other markets.

At its investor day last year, Disney said Star will launch in two different ways: Latin America is getting its own stand-alone app due to it including sports in June 2021, while Star will be integrated with Disney+ in Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore from February 23, 2021. Star will not be available in the U.S.

Subscription pricing will increase in most overseas markets at the launch of Star. For example, in the UK, a Disney Plus sub will increase to £7.99/month or £79.90/annual from its current £5.99/month or £59.99/year.

Why doesn't the US get the adult themed content? NM, i see Hulu is the issue, doh!

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
That is why I wonder if they are considering adding another brand on Disney+ for that content. You beef up Disney+. You can justify additional price increases and you don't impact the HULU buyout value in 2024. Time will tell.
Yes, but that would diminish the appeal of Hulu. Disney is still majority owner and has a vested interest in seeing Hulu succeed as well.

1001 - 1020 of 1094 Posts