AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1094 Posts

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Why doesn't the US get the adult themed content?
Because the corporation wants Disney+ to be a "family friendly" streaming platform. Disney bought Hulu to use for all the adult themed stuff.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yes, but that would diminish the appeal of Hulu. Disney is still majority owner and has a vested interest in seeing Hulu succeed as well.
I don't disagree. But, if you won't put the content on Disney+ and you won't put it on HULU in the US, how is that helping either service? HULU Live TV just added 14 Viacom channels after raising their prices at the end of the year. I don't know if that is a plus or a push. It seems like Disney is okay with 'kneecapping' HULU until 2024 and a Comcast payout. Why not put the Fox / Touchstone content on Disney+ until 2024, buyout Comcast, and in 2024 take HULU in whatever direction they think is best? Just wondering. I'm sure there is some master plan that makes sense to Disney.

Reactions: Jim Kiler

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Why not put the Fox / Touchstone content on Disney+ until 2024, buyout Comcast, and in 2024 take HULU in whatever direction they think is best?
If they put the content on Disney+ now, it's going to look very bad to remove it and shift it to another paid subscription service later.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If they put the content on Disney+ now, it's going to look very bad to remove it and shift it to another paid subscription service later.
I wonder how much of the 80+ million Disney+ subscribers are in the Disney+/ESPN+/HULU bundle? I am in the bundle, so I don't really care if the content moves from one to the other.

Not putting it on either service in the US as all these streaming services fight for consistent subscribers just seems puzzling. I guess we will have to see how they manage it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Reactions: Ryan Howard

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Ricky Strauss Departs Disney After 9 Years; Served As Disney+’s President of Content & Marketing At Launch

Disney veteran Ricky Strauss, one of the key executives that launched Disney+ and former head of marketing for Walt Disney Studios, is leaving the company after nine years.

Rebecca Campbell, Disney’s Chairman of Direct-to-Consumer & International, made the announcement internally, with Strauss also sharing the news with his staff.

Strauss’ decision comes a couple of months after the big restructuring at Disney, which saw him take on a new role as President of Programming & Content Curation for Disney+ and Hulu.

In light of his departure, Disney+’s EVP marketing and operations Joe Earley, who has programming experience from his tenure at Fox, will add Content Curation for Disney+ to his purview and continue to report into Michael Paull, President, Disney+ and ESPN+. Hulu’s VP content partnerships Brian Henderson, who oversees Hulu Content Curation, will report into Hulu President Kelly Campbell.

Previously, Strauss served as President of Content & Marketing for Disney+, where he was responsible for developing the strategic content vision for the service, overseeing development of the service’s original programming slate, production partnerships and content acquisitions. He was named to the position in 2018, ahead of the successful 2019 launch of the streaming platform. Strauss’ role changed after content development was shifted to the Disney-owned studios over the past year.

Prior to that, Strauss served as President of marketing for The Walt Disney Studios, overseeing the Studios’ global marketing strategy encompassing creative, media, digital, promotions, publicity, research and synergy across all distribution channels for motion pictures released under the Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm banners.

Blockbuster films that Disney delivered under Strauss’ tenure include Star Wars: The Force Awakens, for which Strauss was named Marketer of the Year by Advertising Age; Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; Marvel’s The Avengers, Captain America: Civil War, and Guardians of the Galaxy; Disney’s The Jungle Book, Cinderella, Maleficent, and Beauty and the Beast; Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana; and Disney•Pixar’s Incredibles 2, Finding Dory and Inside Out.

Here is Campbell’s memo, followed by Strauss’ email to his colleagues:

Dear team,

It is with great regret that I inform you that, after nine years with The Walt Disney Company, Ricky Strauss has made the personal decision to leave the company.

Ricky has been an incredibly creative, dedicated leader and friend to so many of us at Disney. As Bob Iger has shared with me on many occasions, Ricky’s leadership of the Disney+ Content & Marketing efforts leading up to and following the launch of Disney+ has been remarkable – and we are so appreciative of his expertise, passion and care. However, the recent company reorganization led to a significant change in Ricky’s role. After a great deal of reflection, he decided it was time to pursue new creative endeavors.

While I am sad to see Ricky go, I understand that great change also brings an opportunity to chart a new course and I humbly respect the choice he has made. I know you all join me in wishing Ricky all the best on his new adventures.

Moving forward, Joe Earley will add Content Curation for Disney+ to his purview and continue to report into Michael Paull. Brian Henderson who oversees Hulu Content Curation will report into Kelly Campbell.

In closing, I want to personally thank Ricky for all of his amazing work. His contributions to the success of the Company and Disney+ will forever be part of our legacy. Below is the note that Ricky sent to his team just moments ago.

With immense gratitude,

Rebecca

———————-

Dear team:

After nine years with The Walt Disney Company, and much contemplation over the past several months, I have come to the decision that it is time for me to move on to pursue new creative endeavors. It took much thought and consideration, but with our new structure and the changes to my role, the reorganization does not provide me with the opportunity to do the kind of work I love to do and to continue making the intended impact I have been so fortunate to have achieved at Disney.

It has been a privilege to help create the roadmap to launch Disney+ to fans around the world during the past several years. I’ve met so many personal goals I set out for myself, and, as a company, we’ve achieved far more than I would have ever imagined. None of this would have been possible without the Company’s thoughtful risk-taking and strong focus on creating dynamic entertainment and value for our consumers.

I am incredibly grateful to have had the chance to work for a company that I always dreamed of as a kid — and have been able to play a role in defining its future. The launch of Disney+ was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – and I will never forget the journey we traveled together.

While I will be here through the end of the month to help Rebecca and the senior team with any transition needs, I wanted to take the time now to personally thank all of you as it will be the daily interactions and shared moments with each of you that I will miss most.

Finally, I would be remiss not to share how appreciative I am of the leadership, guidance and support of Rebecca, Kareem, Bob Chapek and Bob Iger for their understanding around this very personal decision of mine to set off on a new adventure.

With great appreciation, admiration and love,

Ricky

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
I watched Mulan (2020) last night on Disney+...I don't understand the mixed reviews...I liked it a lot...maybe people are comparing it to the original animated movie (which I don't remember watching)...the story was pretty basic but the acting and production design were excellent...Yifei Liu made a great Mulan and there were some notable Asian actors in it like Gong Li, Donnie Yen and Jet Li

Dolby Vision was reference quality for a streaming title...gorgeous use of colors and the HDR had some great pop...everything from the armor to clothing to skin, hair etc were so detailed...some great locations were used which also enhanced the image quality...the musical score was excellent...Christina Aguilera has a beautiful voice...Loyal, Brave and True!

Grade: B+

·
Administrator
19,560 Posts
Mulan is still on my list but I watched their new Black Beauty in Dolby Vision and thought it looked amazing.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Christina Aguilera - Loyal Brave True (Mulan)

War is not freedom
Over my shoulder
I see a clearer view

All for my family
Reason I'm breathing
Everything to lose

Should I ask myself in the water
What a warrior would do?
Tell me, underneath my armor
Am I loyal, brave and true?

·
Registered
16,415 Posts
I watched Mulan (2020) last night on Disney+...I don't understand the mixed reviews...I liked it a lot...maybe people are comparing it to the original animated movie (which I don't remember watching)...the story was pretty basic but the acting and production design were excellent...Yifei Liu made a great Mulan and there were some notable Asian actors in it like Gong Li, Donnie Yen and Jet Li

Dolby Vision was reference quality for a streaming title...gorgeous use of colors and the HDR had some great pop...everything from the armor to clothing to skin, hair etc were so detailed...some great locations were used which also enhanced the image quality...the musical score was excellent...Christina Aguilera has a beautiful voice...Loyal, Brave and True!

Grade: B+
Fully agree .. but I would give it an A-

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
This spectacular art video hits all the right notes, as The Sabby Life brings New York and the characters of Soul to life in the stunning medium of virtual reality.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Raya and the Last Dragon reveals first image of action scene in land of Talon

By Rachel Yang

This month, EW is offering exclusive looks at more than two dozen of 2021's most anticipated movies. Check out more of our preview here.

Prepare to step into another land in the epic kingdom of Kumandra.

In the last few months, Disney has been steadily introducing fans to the world of Raya and the Last Dragon, which follow our heroine (voiced by Kelly Marie Tran) as she searches for the sole remaining dragon to stop monsters named Druun from attacking the kingdom.

To do so, she will have to traverse all five lands of Kumandra, and EW can exclusively reveal a preview image of Raya in Talon.

"Throughout the journey of the film, Raya visits different lands: the land of Heart, Talon, Fang, Spine, and Tail," director Don Hall says. The image above finds Raya "in the middle of a really cool action scene" in the "floating market" of Talon.

Producer Osnat Shurer, who was also behind Moana, says each of the five lands will have its own distinctive flair, down to color schemes, fabrics, and even hairstyles, which fans caught a glimpse of in October's teaser. The inspiration for Talon came out of cultural research trips to the Mekong region of Southeast Asia, where floating markets abound.

And like in any great Disney movie, Raya can't save the world alone. We previously met the Heart Lands warrior's trusty steed Tuk Tuk, and Disney's Investor Day acquainted us with a few more players.

Along her quest, Raya assembles the "Kumandran version of the Island of Misfit Toys" including Tong, "this enormous warrior from Spine, a battle-hardened kind of guy," Hall says. "And Boun, we always refer to him as our Han Solo, because he provides the transportation, which is a boat called the Shrimporium, it's a floating sort of restaurant."

The cutest of Raya's little ensemble might be Noi, the mischievous "con baby," the director says with a laugh. "She runs a little con game in town with these creatures called Ongis, which are kind of fantasy creatures."

The filmmakers also can't say enough about working with Awkwafina, who voices Sisu the dragon, as she stepped up to the challenge of recording lines during quarantine. Qui Nguyen, who co-wrote the film with Adele Lim and served as a martial arts consultant, says the actress "has so much passion and love for the character."

"Sisu's an interesting character," he adds. "It's a tightrope to walk on because she has to be fun but also has to have this wisdom and huge heart of a Disney character and Awkwafina is so masterful ... it's been an amazing sight to behold."

Shurer says she can't wait for the future ahead for Raya, which includes a graphic novel and the translation of the movie into over 45 languages. More immediate on the horizon though is the next trailer, which Shurer says will further showcase the film's humor and action.

Currently at work on the trailer, the filmmakers say they've been energized by the fans, whose responses and reaction videos had them in tears. They knew their hard work paid off when audiences noticed small details and cultural nods, such as the escrima sticks Raya used as weapons, which come from Arnis/Kali martial arts in the Philippines.

"The reactions that we've gotten from the Southeast Asian community has definitely been the most emotional for us to see," director Carlos López Estrada says. "We got people commenting on the different skin tones, people commenting on such specific cultural things that people have been putting so much thought into, that it's just good to know that they matter in the impact."

Raya and the Last Dragon premieres on March 5 in theaters and on Disney+ with premiere access.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have debated joining Disney Plus for several months now but after getting a new Sony 85 X900H with HDR/Dolby Vision I think it may be time. Any negatives anyone can mention? We have Xfinity for cable and internet, not sure what the impact streaming this will be with our current setup. Also have Firestick 4K and use a Samsung 750 Soundbar which doesn't support Atmos only DD/DTS stuff, still love it with 4K UHD movies. Thanks for any feedback, for $70/year it's probably a no brainer but just curious what you members think overall.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have debated joining Disney Plus for several months now but after getting a new Sony 85 X900H with HDR/Dolby Vision I think it may be time. Any negatives anyone can mention? We have Xfinity for cable and internet, not sure what the impact streaming this will be with our current setup. Also have Firestick 4K and use a Samsung 750 Soundbar which doesn't support Atmos only DD/DTS stuff, still love it with 4K UHD movies. Thanks for any feedback, for $70/year it's probably a no brainer but just curious what you members think overall.
You're overthinking it.

If you like most of the CONTENT they offer you for the price they charge, then sign up and relax and enjoy it.

Don't sit and nitpick how many pixels it has or doesn't have, or nitrates etc. Just enjoy the great content for what it is and avoid analysis paralysis.

To many folks get wrapped up in TECHNICAL mumbo jumbo vs. just enjoying the movies or shows these companies offer us.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Mike, that is what I read as well, some great DV material to be viewed.

Ryan, I hear you sounds like it is a good fit, probably more than anything just want to make sure streaming works well for everyone with Disney Plus, my Amazon Prime movies stream very well so was just throwing out the idea of positive/negative opinions, no biggie, looks like we are going to join.

1021 - 1040 of 1094 Posts