AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1442 Posts

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
'Black Widow' Trailer Spins Strong Web With 70M Views

Marvel and Disney's superhero spinoff stars Scarlett Johansson in the titular role.

Marvel and Disney's third Black Widow trailer scored more than 70 million viewers in its first 24 hours, surpassing the second trailer by a substantial margin, or more than 13 million views.

The previous spot for the superhero pic earned 57 million views in its first day.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Disney+ Hires ‘It’s A Sin’ Commissioner Lee Mason As Its EMEA Scripted Chief
By Jake Kanter

Disney+ has hired Lee Mason, the Channel 4 commissioner behind It’s A Sin, as its scripted chief in EMEA.

Mason will join the streamer as director of scripted in the summer after nearly a decade at Channel 4, where he was also involved in commissioning BAFTA-winning Netflix co-production The End of the F***ing World. He will report to Liam Keelan, VP of original content in EMEA.

Mason is the second Channel 4 commissioner Keelan has poached this year after he recruited Sean Doyle to be Disney+’s point-person for unscripted producers in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

Both Mason and Doyle will work across Disney+ and its grownup brand Star to commission original series. The streamer unveiled its first European slate in February, which included drama series such as mafia drama The Good Mothers from House Productions and Wildside.

UK trade Broadcast first reported Mason’s appointment. He will work alongside Johanna Devereaux, Disney’s other director of scripted.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discovery Plus Launches on Comcast Xfinity Flex Platform, Coming Soon to X1
Cable giant also distributing programmer's Food Network Kitchen, MotorTrend services

By Todd Spangler

Discovery Plus, the cable programmer’s recently launched nonfiction subscription streaming service, is now available on Comcast’s Xfinity Flex set-top for broadband-only customers.

Over the next few weeks, Discovery Plus will roll out to Comcast’s Xfinity X1 platform for pay-TV customers as well, providing access to the streaming service’s programming alongside live and on-demand content they get as part of their TV subscription.

In addition, Comcast is launching Discovery’s direct-to-consumer services Food Network Kitchen and MotorTrend on Flex today, with both SVOD packages also coming to X1 soon.

Discovery Plus is available in the U.S. for $4.99 per month with ads or $6.99 per month for an ad-free version. The service offers more than 55,000 episodes of current and older shows from Discovery’s portfolio of networks, including HGTV, Food Network, TLC, ID, OWN, Travel Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and the forthcoming Magnolia Network from Chip and Joanna Gaines.

The streamer also includes more than 50 original titles and hundreds of hours of exclusive content, along with select nonfiction content from A&E, the History Channel and Lifetime, and exclusive streaming access to a collection of natural history programming from the BBC.

Discovery Plus launched Jan. 4 in the U.S. and the company estimates an addressable market of 70 million households domestically for the service. In February, Discovery said its direct-to-consumer streaming services, including Discovery Plus, Food Network Kitchen and MotorTrend, had topped 11 million subscribers globally.

Once available on each platform, X1 and Flex customers can access Discovery Plus by saying “Discovery Plus” into the Xfinity Voice Remote, or by finding it within the app section.

“We are thrilled to expand our relationship with our valued partner Comcast to provide their customers with direct and easy access to Discovery Plus and other applications across their industry-leading entertainment platforms – Xfinity Flex, and soon X1,” said Gabriel Sauerhoff, SVP of digital distribution and commercial partnerships at Discovery.

Added Rebecca Heap, Comcast Cable’s SVP of video and entertainment, “The launch of discovery+ on Xfinity Flex, and very soon on X1, gives our customers access to more of the best entertainment from one of the newest streaming services on the market.”

Discovery’s Food Network Kitchen is a subscription-based service ($4.99/month or $39.99/year) that gives customers access to thousands of recipes and instructional videos; live and on-demand cooking classes with Food Network culinary experts and fan-favorite personalities; and ideas for quick and easy meals. The MotorTrend ($4.99/month or $44.99/year) is billed as the only auto-dedicated subscription VOD service on the market, providing more than 3,600 hours of programming including every episode of “Roadkill,” “Fast N’ Loud” and over 25 seasons of “Top Gear.”

Xfinity Flex is a 4K streaming device included with Xfinity Internet that extends features of X1 to the operator’s broadband-only customers.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discovery And Comcast Set A Deal To Bring Discovery+, Motor Trend And Food Network Kitchen To Xfinity X1 And Flex
By Dade Hayes

Discovery and Comcast have set an agreement bringing streaming services Discovery+, Motor Trend and Food Network Kitchen to the Xfinity X1 and Flex platforms.

Availability has already started for Discovery+ on Flex, a broadband video package now in more than 3 million U.S. homes. The streaming service will be integrated into the Xfinity X1 pay-TV interface in the coming weeks, the company said.

Discovery+ launched in January with two versions — $5 a month with ads and $7 without ads. It offers 55,000 episodes of new and library series from the company’s cable networks as well as more than 50 titles in an expanding lineup of originals. The company said in February that the service had surpassed 11 million global subscribers and was heading for 12 million as of the end of that month.

Comcast has been steadily incorporating a range of streaming offerings into its X1 and Flex packages, with Disney and Hulu joining Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and many others. The strategy at the company is to try to reduce friction between linear and streaming programming in order to keep viewers within the Comcast media experience. X1 now represents more than two-thirds of Comcast’s total footprint of 19 million cable households, which is the largest among U.S. cable providers. Flex is offered free to the company’s broadband subscribers, with extra charges for premium services.

Also on Flex and heading to X1 are Food Network Kitchen and MotorTrend. Food Network Kitchen is a subscription service offering recipes, instructional videos and live and on-demand cooking classes with culinary experts and personalities. MotorTrend is the only SVOD aimed at automotive enthusiasts. Discovery took a majority stake in a joint venture with the publisher of Motor Trend magazine in 2017 and the next year renamed its Velocity cable network after the established brand. An existing streaming service was then plugged into Discovery’s overall push toward direct-to-consumer businesses.

·
Registered
19,402 Posts
I know I said I wasn't going to do it. But I did it anyway. I broke down and bought Raya and the Last Dragon. What can I say? I'm weak. Watched it with my kid tonight. Worth every penny. And the movie is pretty good too. Excellent PQ.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
I started my first ever Clone Wars (animated series) binge a few months ago but I got busy with other things and stopped mid way through Season 3 (plus there were so many episodes that it was getting a bit overwhelming)...I was enjoying the series but since the early seasons are considered the weaker ones overall it was tough getting through some of the filler episodes

I decided to give it another go last week...started from the beginning again as I wanted everything fresh in my mind...I'm determined to make it through to the end this time...I hear Season 3 is when things really start to turn around and get really good so I'm hoping it'll get easier to binge knowing that the arcs get stronger...Season's 7 and 5 seem to be the most highly regarded so I'm looking forward to getting there

currently I'm at the very end of Season 2...when the series is firing on all cylinders it's really excellent- Boba Fett intro arc, Mandalore arc, some amazing villains etc

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
I started my first ever Clone Wars (animated series) binge a few months ago but I got busy with other things and stopped mid way through Season 3 (plus there were so many episodes that it was getting a bit overwhelming)...I was enjoying the series but since the early seasons are considered the weaker ones overall it was tough getting through some of the filler episodes

I decided to give it another go last week...started from the beginning again as I wanted everything fresh in my mind...I'm determined to make it through to the end this time...I hear Season 3 is when things really start to turn around and get really good so I'm hoping it'll get easier to binge knowing that the arcs get stronger...Season's 7 and 5 seem to be the most highly regarded so I'm looking forward to getting there

currently I'm at the very end of Season 2...when the series is firing on all cylinders it's really excellent- Boba Fett intro arc, Mandalore arc, some amazing villains etc
Are you watching in broadcast order or chronological order?

I finished my binge recently. I like the show, but even its best seasons have lots of filler. Any episode with Jar Jar is a total drag, and there are far too many of those.

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
Are you watching in broadcast order or chronological order?

I finished my binge recently. I like the show, but even its best seasons have lots of filler. Any episode with Jar Jar is a total drag, and there are far too many of those.
chronological order...even the final season requires watching in a different order...did you watch Rebels after your Clone Wars binge?

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
1401 - 1420 of 1442 Posts