·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like the Amazon Fire tv is absent as of now.

Not only did we get launch dates for several countries, but we also have the device support Disney+ will have at launch. And here
it is:

Apple (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, and fully integrated with the Apple TV app; customers can subscribe to
Disney+ via in-app purchase)

Google (Android phones, Android TV devices, Google Chromecast, and Chromecast built-in devices)

Microsoft (Xbox One)

Sony / Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation®4 and all Android-based Sony TVs)

Roku (Roku streaming players and Roku TV models)
https://techaeris.com/2019/08/19/di...longside-the-us-and-device-support-announced/

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Too many companies trying to get their slice of the cord cutter's pie. Some will be bound to fail. Suits don't understand why people cut the cord in the first place. ;)
But you better be prepared for this too all get worst as time marches on.

You think there are a lot of these apps now scattered with content people want all over the place, just wait...

Wait until they "force" you to sign up for a 2-year deal in order to get their app, instead of month to month.

Wait until the cable companies, ALL OF THEM, install Data Caps, and set them arbitrarily low(500 GB or less), and like leasing a car, charge you a certain amount for every GB you go over your limit.

Wait until(already happening) the cable companies team up with these independent companies(Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc...) to offer EXCLUSIVE connection to those apps through their service, using the "enticement" of,"won't count against your HARD DATA CAP if you sign up through us".

Plus others even I cannot think of.

The GOLDEN AGE of Cord Cutting is coming to an end sooner than most think.

Going to cost you more than ever to get all you get now because it will be scattered all over the place over hundreds of apps, all charging you by the month.

Only way to actually avoid it is too throw up an antenna for local HDTV and local AM/FM radio, and that's it.

ISP's are going to start charging people out of the ying yang just to CONNECT to their service because of no competition.

And I will believe the 5G garbage when I actually see it available all over the place. At 5-7 years away from that at the earliest...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

Only way to actually avoid it is too throw up an antenna for local HDTV and local AM/FM radio, and that's it.
I would need to put up a 100' tower for that but I doubt the city would allow it. :D

The solution is for some of these to fail because people want to hold at the spending limit. Doing without becomes an option. Sure you won't be able to discuss the latest episode of so and so at the water cooler but it is really worth that much?

There was an article recently on Dad's column about a survey showing that most cable cutters don't want to spend more than $21 a month on subscriptions. I recently added an Amazon Prime Video subscription at $9 a month and am planning to cancel Netflix which is my highest subscription at $16 just to get 4K. I found more shows I liked on Amazon and no premium for 4K.

Cord cutters can protest with their dollars.

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would need to put up a 100' tower for that but I doubt the city would allow it. :D

The solution is for some of these to fail because people want to hold at the spending limit. Doing without becomes an option. Sure you won't be able to discuss the latest episode of so and so at the water cooler but it is really worth that much?

There was an article recently on Dad's column about a survey showing that most cable cutters don't want to spend more than $21 a month on subscriptions. I recently added an Amazon Prime Video subscription at $9 a month and am planning to cancel Netflix which is my highest subscription at $16 just to get 4K. I found more shows I liked on Amazon and no premium for 4K.

Cord cutters can protest with their dollars.
Yeah, I’ve always appreciated that Prime doesn’t charge extra for their 4K. Can’t cancel Netflix tho. The fam watches it way too much.

·
Registered
542 Posts

You think there are a lot of these apps now scattered with content people want all over the place, just wait...

Wait until they "force" you to sign up for a 2-year deal in order to get their app, instead of month to month.

Wait until the cable companies, ALL OF THEM, install Data Caps, and set them arbitrarily low(500 GB or less), and like leasing a car, charge you a certain amount for every GB you go over your limit.

Wait until(already happening) the cable companies team up with these independent companies(Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc...) to offer EXCLUSIVE connection to those apps through their service, using the "enticement" of,"won't count against your HARD DATA CAP if you sign up through us".

Plus others even I cannot think of.

The GOLDEN AGE of Cord Cutting is coming to an end sooner than most think.

Going to cost you more than ever to get all you get now because it will be scattered all over the place over hundreds of apps, all charging you by the month.

ISP's are going to start charging people out of the ying yang just to CONNECT to their service because of no competition.

And I will believe the 5G garbage when I actually see it available all over the place. At 5-7 years away from that at the earliest...
Its already happening!

After suffering years paying the $238/month Triple Play I called it quits. I gave Xfinity back their cable and internet modems and went to just a 150 Mbps plan for $49.99. i was using my own router and modem and the streaming life was good. Netflix, Prime, APKs, etc. all for under $100. Then, we went over 1 Terabyte and Xfinity has crazy overage charges. So, I went with there unlimited plan and had to rent their xFi modem and a promo rate to get the 250Mbps package and now my bill is creeping up again to $129!

Reactions: tomanystraydogs

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Apple is coming out with their Apple+ which will be $9.99/month. That's a lot of +'s. It's getting crazy.

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Reactions: tenthplanet

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kids are grown, have the marvel movies already, they will get nothing from me. Unless they start making shows like Dark , Altered Carbon and Babylon Berlin
I dunno, GK. The Mandalorian teaser looks pretty darn good. And with The Mouse supporting 4K HDR my check writing hand is getting itchy.

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Premium Member
24,040 Posts
Kids are grown, have the marvel movies already, they will get nothing from me. Unless they start making shows like Dark , Altered Carbon and Babylon Berlin
I dunno, GK. The Mandalorian teaser looks pretty darn good. And with The Mouse supporting 4K HDR my check writing hand is getting itchy.
Looking forward in watching the Mandalorian I didn’t realise where getting it here in Aus 1 week after you guys. Looking forward to see how it pans out

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking forward in watching the Mandalorian I didn’t realise where getting it here in Aus 1 week after you guys. Looking forward to see how it pans out
The Mandalorian looks really good. Yeah, both you and your NZ neighbors will be getting this at about the same time as us. The Mouse abides.

Apple + I didnt even know about that either. Its winter over here it time too stop the hibernat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's getting nuts. Pretty soon my grandma will have a streaming service, "Knitting with Nana" It will be a yarn.😆

I have to go and buy an Apple TV 4K for my theatre :)

You don't have one yet? I thought fo' sho' the FraninMAX has 6 or 7 ATV4K's. Almost as many as your UHD players.:p

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
November 12th is right around the corner. Do the big streaming boys need to be worried? As much as I don't want another pay service I will probably break down and pay the Mouse.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com

https://youtu.be/M8wctVg9zS4
Well with Disney launching Disney +, controlling Hulu, and any streaming properties from ESPN. They are the big streaming boy, a 900 lb gorilla among 800 lb ones. The people in the video rental business should be worried these services are a big shot over the bow.

·
Premium Member
24,040 Posts
The Mandalorian looks really good. Yeah, both you and your NZ neighbors will be getting this at about the same time as us. The Mouse abides.
About time they start considering us :)

It's getting nuts. Pretty soon my grandma will have a streaming service, "Knitting with Nana" It will be a yarn.
Yes and our wives will be asking to subscribe

You don't have one yet? I thought fo' sho' the FraninMAX has 6 or 7 ATV4K's. Almost as many as your UHD players.:p

Ha ha yes maybe 3

·
Premium Member
24,040 Posts
Well with Disney launching Disney +, controlling Hulu, and any streaming properties from ESPN. They are the big streaming boy, a 900 lb gorilla among 800 lb ones. The people in the video rental business should be worried these services are a big shot over the bow.

Yes I agree.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts