AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well with Disney launching Disney +, controlling Hulu, and any streaming properties from ESPN. They are the big streaming boy, a 900 lb gorilla among 800 lb ones. The people in the video rental business should be worried these services are a big shot over the bow.
Not sure what the powers that be at Netflix have planned. If anything. Hopefully they reduce their prices and stop charging an additional premium for 4K like Prime does. I know. Wishful thinking.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Looks like Disney+ will be more traditional and drop episodes weekly instead of all at once.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/24/disney-plus-to-release-tv-episodes-weekly/
I know a lot of people don't like that, but, i'm old and it reminds me of the old days. it gives me something to look forward to. I do understand many folks prefer to binge watch things and I respect that.

I have no problem with one episode per week. best part of it is that we don't have to worry about big spoilers as we all get one episode at the same time.

Reactions: neightdog

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I know a lot of people don't like that, but, i'm old and it reminds me of the old days. it gives me something to look forward to. I do understand many folks prefer to binge watch things and I respect that.

I have no problem with one episode per week. best part of it is that we don't have to worry about big spoilers as we all get one episode at the same time.
I agree and don't mind it either. But I'm old too and I really can't binge watch an entire series in one day like the whippersnappers can.:D

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Disney+ will include HDR, 4K and Dolby Atmos streaming
with its $6.99 per month basic plan, the company says at its D23 Expo.

The new detail could add further pressure on a growing list of streaming
competitors, including Netflix, which does not include high definition
streaming in its most basic tier. Disney will stream its huge catalog of movies
and TV shows in high quality 4K and HDR, as well as Dolby Atmos, which will
give viewers the ability to listen with surround sound.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/26/disney-to-include-4k-hdr-and-dolby-atmos-audio.html

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Disney is working around the clock to prevent Disney+ streaming issues at launch

The company is working on preventing any overload and crashing issues, especially for November 12th, when the
service launches in the US and a few additional international markets.

“We’re thinking very much about [overload],” Disney streaming services president Michael Paull told The Verge.
“Fortunately, we’ve had the experience with Game of Thrones, we’ve had the experience of ESPN+ with the big pay-
per-view events that we’re doing with UFC exclusively on our platform. We’re getting big bursts. We’ve built
capabilities to sustain that, both in terms of processing the transactions that all come in — in a very, very short
period of time — as well as the streams.”
https://bgr.com/2019/08/26/disney-plus-streaming-disney-working-to-prevent-any-issues-at-launch/

·
Registered
8,197 Posts

It may also aid in your discussions around this device I hear some work places have these...

Attachments

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We won't be seeing Deadpool nor Logan on the Disney+

Disney+ will not make R-rated content available to subscribers

Disney+ will not feature any R-rated content. Everything available on Disney+ will either be rated
PG-13 or below. Put simply, Disney+ is positioning itself as a family-friendly streaming service that
won’t really demand much oversight, if any at all, from parents.

While this may seem obvious, remember that Disney owns 21st Century Fox which has its own
impressive catalog of content, some of which is certainly aimed at more mature audiences.
https://bgr.com/2019/08/27/disney-will-not-make-r-rated-content-available-to-subscribers/

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
So no adult oriented content? Kind of a bummer, but at $140 for 3yrs with Atmos and DV it's hard to complain.

I'll be happy to see the Disney/National Geographic documentaries and educational shows. Love that stuff.

I really hope they start rolling out on more platforms- I have an Apple TV but planned on selling it- but now it looks like I might as well keep it. A Vizio based Smartcast app would be nice, but they have to develop it.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
After HBO, which has a FOX output deal through 2022 then cable (usually FX), they'll eventually go to Hulu probably. Hulu has also struck a deal for Lionsgate movies for 2020 and 2021. Hulu has been loading up on non family content for awhile. Disney + and Hulu are the one two punch.
The Disney+/Hulu bundle is for the ad supported Hulu. I hate ads. So unless they announce a no ads bundle it's $11.99 Hulu (no ads) + $6.99 Disney+ = $18.98.

Iron Man says subscribe ? :)
Yeah, the Mouse will more than likely get me for the +.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
"Belzebuth" (Shudder) was worth the watch. Mostly in Spanish with subtitles but above average horror. Got "Godzilla" UHD to watch tonight. Usually not real 4K because of the CGI.

Still waiting for the rental price of "Captive State" to come down. From what I've read it bombed at the BO so they must be trying to recoup with a $6 streaming rental price when everything else out that long is down to as little as $3 on weekend deals. It is or was at the box but only on DVD. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Apple TV+ finally gets its price: $4.99

Apple TV+ will launch on Nov. 1 at a cost of $4.99 per month. “The price of a single
movie rental,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said on stage. “This is crazy!”

The low price clearly aims to undercut Netflix and Disney’s forthcoming Disney+
service, and shares of Netflix and Disney both dropped on the news.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apple-tv-plus-price-172202270.html

Reactions: Brian Conrad

·
Registered
19,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Pretty impressive lineup for its launch. Love seeing the Spider-Man series from both '81 and '94 as well as the Disney afternoon cartoons, Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers and the original Duck Tales.

Every Disney movie, TV show available day one on Disney+

https://attractionsmagazine.com/disney-plus-day-one-list/

·
Premium Member
24,029 Posts
Pretty impressive lineup for its launch. Love seeing the Spider-Man series from both '81 and '94 as well as the Disney afternoon cartoons, Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers and the original Duck Tales.

I read in Australia we won’t get all of the tv shows and movies some are still licensed to Stan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

That list is not going to be the same for the US. For one thing I see they list Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Avengers:Infinity War all of which are currently on Netflix. The Netherlands obviously has different distribution contracts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Am I missing something or is pre-ordering not as cost affective as the Disney+ Hulu ESPN+ bundle?

Pre-ordering Disney+ ($6.99/mo. regular price) discounted $40 for 3 years = $4.72/mo. (saving $3.37/mo. if you include the $40).
All 3 services alone costs $17.97/mo. Bundle of all 3 will be $12.99/mo. (saving $4.98/mo.)
Prices exclude taxes.

Currently I already have Hulu, so to spend the extra $2 to have ESPN+ seems like a good idea.
For someone that can front the money and doesn't want or need Hulu or ESPN+, sure the 3 year pre-order can work out for them.

21 - 40 of 529 Posts