AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a film that I wish Disney would release in the U.S. on DVD. Because of political correctness, you can't even get a VHS copy here. The european versions aren't being made anymore and won't play on all of our machines. This is a wonderful film and a wonderful story. It's too bad that we can't grow up and just enjoy life.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I rented a Japanese import on laserdisc that I then copied on VHS back in the mid 90's. I'm now transferring this on DVD so it won't deteriorate over time. This is the best that I can do for now. It actually looks quite nice.

·
Registered
488 Posts
could have sworn I saw this on DVD here at one time.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no kidding has this been beat to death here, there and everywhere.

However, jkirk you are correct this is a magnificient film.

Now, nyah! nyah! nyah! :) I am the lucky and proud owner of the Japanese laserdisc of SOTS and I have viewed the living crap out of it. The quality isn't the best but it is SOTS nonetheless and everytime I watch it I enjoy it immensely. I found it years ago in a foreign ld bin at Dave's Laser in the San Fernando Valley in LA and it was like finding the Holy Grail; I had to change my britches when I got home I was so excited.

One of the most fun things to do is to watch it in Japanese (you can put on either English or Japanese audio) with Brer Rabbit and his buddies jabbering away in that language. Uncle Remus is rather humorous speaking in Japanese.

We will never see this in the theatres or on dvds; ain't gonna happen because apparently too many people are offended. I don't want to get into that. Bottom line: one of the most charming movies that Disney ever made and it is destined to be on some shelf gathering dust for eternity. A shame.

Ernie

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A friend purchased a pirated version - which I in no way endorse. I was under the impression that it was released briefly then pulled by Disney. His copy looked fine, although the jacket cover was clearly printed on someone's inkjet.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
I rented a Japanese import on laserdisc that I then copied on VHS back in the mid 90's. I'm now transferring this on DVD so it won't deteriorate over time. This is the best that I can do for now. It actually looks quite nice.

I did exactly the same thing...

(oops.... forget I said that) :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
I could have sworn I saw this on DVD here at one time.....

I used to like Brer Rabbit stories.
There are always copies made from the LD or R2 versions at sci-fi and related conventions. I grabbed one myself and it looks pretty good. I normally do't support the idea of bootleg material, but in this instance Dizney had made it pretty clear there will never be a sanctioned R1 release.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Smith

We will never see this in the theatres or on dvds; ain't gonna happen because apparently too many people are offended. I don't want to get into that.
I've always wondered who is supposed to be offended by this film? The blacks are all portrayed as nice. The white slave masters are portrayed as meanies. Is David Dukes offended? Is the KKK offended? Que??? :rolleyes:

I've watched the crap out of it too. I also have the Nipponese LD. I show it to as many people as possible since Dizz-ney won't. The truth is out there...;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
quote from Rachael Bellomy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always wondered who is supposed to be offended by this film? The blacks are all portrayed as nice. The white slave masters are portrayed as meanies. Is David Dukes offended? Is the KKK offended? Que???

The beauty of SOTS and the story thereof, is the friendship between Uncle Remus and the little boy. He is devastated and confused by his mother's and father's estrangement and becomes friends with this kindly old man who befriends him and attempts to ease his pains (family and growing pains) by using parables via Brer Rabbit tales to help the boy survive. The stories are nothing but charming and amusing; the characters are all lovable. There are really some good lessons for children to observe here, race portrayals notwithstanding.

I think that Disney tried to show the South as it was during that period and that is painful for some people. It is not for me to condemn them for that view.

Therein lies the problem and unfortunately SOTS is a paradox for that reason.

It is a crying shame that people will never get to see Uncle Remus sing "Zippa De Do Da" on the screen; that makes me very sad.

Rachael: I should have known that you would have had the ld; is there any ld's that you don't have? :)

Brer Ernie

·
Registered
472 Posts
--------Me too.......... I've enjoyed the LD for years!!!

--------Here's a "different" twist on the movie........... Our family loves to vacation at Disney World. Even though we live in Florida, it still takes about a 7 hour drive. Anyway, one of our favorite rides is Splash Mountain. I can not imagine how the younger generation can enjoy and understand all the characters as much as we do without having seen SOTS. :(

_______ I talked with one of the Disney "hosts" about this last year and her answer was that, "Well, they have the book." Duhhhhhhhhhhh,,,

--------I've tried to "eliminate" this problem for friends that have small children......... Guess how I do it!! :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well a quick search shows many bootleg SOTS dvd-r discs are being SOLD out there. Does anyone know if the Berne Act (part of the us copyright law) applies to SOTS as there has never been a home release but there has been a movie release of the film.

I really get urked when I see people SELLING a copy of bootleg material that it is ok. Just like the low lives who sell tapes of dead shows(which the band allowed for non commerical use), may they rot. One SOTS site even uses the USPS pay on delivery service which seems to take real stones.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sailn
Well a quick search shows many bootleg SOTS dvd-r discs are being SOLD out there. Does anyone know if the Berne Act (part of the us copyright law) applies to SOTS as there has never been a home release but there has been a movie release of the film.

I really get urked when I see people SELLING a copy of bootleg material that it is ok. Just like the low lives who sell tapes of dead shows(which the band allowed for non commerical use), may they rot. One SOTS site even uses the USPS pay on delivery service which seems to take real stones.
Well, as a recording artist myself obviously I have strong feelings about the selling of bootleg material. BUT, I have never had a problem with someone trading material that is not commercially available in any form. And if someone wants to go the next step and attempts to sell the same, and finds another willing to pay for it, that's their own business.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I remember more than thirty years ago seeing a small article in the Atlanta papers about how Disney was going to put Song of the South in the vaults permanently. Not eighteen months later the film was back in the theaters (this would have been 1973), though I think this was its last release. So you never know. Two different posters on the Imdb say it played on British Television in April of this year.

As I understand it, James Baskett, who played Uncle Remus, was not asked to its Atlanta world premiere.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I too hope it comes out, but it will seem particularly dated due to the treatment of blacks as already stated. And, yes, that doesn't mean they should censor it. With regard to Huckleberry Finn, I read that some school districts whited out the offensive word. I too am offended by certain things, but, IMO, art should never be censored. Buy it, read it, see it if you want. Ignore it, if you don't.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Disney cropped some offensive scenes in the DVD release of FANTASIA:

http://www.animated-movies.net/Fantasia.html

In the "Pastoral Symphony" segment there was originally a scene showing black centaurs shining the hooves of white centaurs. It was not until the 1969 rerelease that this was thought objectionable, and all subsequent releases until 1980 had an abrupt cut at this point. The current video release includes the scene, but with the frame cropped to show only the face of a white centaurette.

Pressure from the Hays office led Disney to put flower bras on the centaurettes, who had been designed bare-breasted. In later releases (including the video release) the two Nubian/zebra centaurettes who attend Bacchus have been edited out (except for a brief glimpse when the trip enters) along with a ********** centaurette who shines the others' hooves. Disney was able to call the Video release "complete and unedited" because, under US Law, a studio can edit their own film for video and still call it "complete and unedited".

·
Registered
135 Posts
And thus the reason I won't buy Fantasia. A darn shame too.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Battra92
And thus the reason I won't buy Fantasia. A darn shame too.
Well, if you're lusting that much for bare-breasted centaurettes, I'm sure a Frank Frazetta imitator can sketch you a picture! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.