AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the kids to see this one on Friday. If you like classic Disney offerings with lots of musical flair, you'll probably like this one. Myself, I was cutting into my forearm with my keys after the 10th song. The songs felt very contrived and made the story sound like it was nothing more than filler between songs. Not destined to be a classic at all, in my opinion, though I have to say the kids liked it.

The movie, between the songs, was actually quite good. I've just never had such a problem with Disney songs in movies as I did this one. It's doing quite well according to Rotten Tomatoes, as well as the audience reaction in the theater. I guess this one just wasn't for me.

On a presentational note, the picture looked horrible and the surrounds started buzzing for the last half hour. Yay commercial cinema.

EDIT: I forgot to add that despite the generally boring feeling I had at times, I did very much like the main two characters. Very much.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/19554271

On a presentational note, the picture looked horrible and the surrounds started buzzing for the last half hour. Yay commercial cinema.

If I had to deal with a technical problem for that long I would have walked out and demanded my money back.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Saw it Saturday with my wife. I wasn't aware that there would be singing so at first I was like "Oh boy." Some of songs were short in length so that was ok. As for the movie it was a typically good Disney effort. I stayed awake (been having a problem with that lately regardless of bad or good movie). The 3D was good, not much popping out but good depth. I always enjoy being going to see a movie during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season. On a side note have you ever been watching a movie and someone would laugh at any and every thing? We had one kid like that. I mean every thing was worth a laugh no matter how trivial. It grew old fast.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/19559222

On a side note have you ever been watching a movie and someone would laugh at any and every thing? We had one kid like that. I mean every thing was worth a laugh no matter how trivial. It grew old fast.

We had several like that for this movie on Friday. The theater was packed, and there was a few woman who thought every time a frame changed it was funny as hell.

Also, the theater had a mix up. As you bought your ticket, you were told "room 5". Actually, if you read the signs, it was room 9. 15 minutes after the movie was supposed to start, the lights cut on and an employee came in with about 30 people trailing behind him, all while he asked who was here to see Harry Potter. They finally started the movie about 35 minutes after it was supposed to start, once they finally got all the movie goers to the right rooms.

·
Registered
28,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/19559448

This is not a joint-effort with Pixar; Disney animation always have singing in them.

No songs in Atlantis or Lilo & Stitch, were there?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/19560169

We had several like that for this movie on Friday. The theater was packed, and there was a few woman who thought every time a frame changed it was funny as hell.

Also, the theater had a mix up. As you bought your ticket, you were told "room 5". Actually, if you read the signs, it was room 9. 15 minutes after the movie was supposed to start, the lights cut on and an employee came in with about 30 people trailing behind him, all while he asked who was here to see Harry Potter. They finally started the movie about 35 minutes after it was supposed to start, once they finally got all the movie goers to the right rooms.

Yikes!

We got to Megamind a little early and had to go through 20 mins of the pre-trailer stuff. My 5 year old was getting a little bored with that and wanted to know when the MOVIE was going to start. Another 35 mins would have been tough and you can't walk out of a movie with a young'n can you?
Was it as good as Princess and the Frog?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/19563319

Yikes!

We got to Megamind a little early and had to go through 20 mins of the pre-trailer stuff. My 5 year old was getting a little bored with that and wanted to know when the MOVIE was going to start. Another 35 mins would have been tough and you can't walk out of a movie with a young'n can you?
Was it as good as Princess and the Frog?

I still haven't seen PatF. My 6 year old daughter was asking when Tangled was going to be over, though.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/19565924

I still haven't seen PatF. My 6 year old daughter was asking when Tangled was going to be over, though.

Great, nothing like treating them to a movie.

We had free tickets for Megamind. Too bad it was $25 for food.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/19566453

Great, nothing like treating them to a movie.

We had free tickets for Megamind. Too bad it was $25 for food.

I got the three kids a pack of Skittles each and a drink. $23.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Watched Tangled 3D on Friday and enjoyed it a lot. My daughters, 8 and 7, have both seen it twice now (obviously they like it).

The music was odd. It wasn't bad, but there was something off about it. I really felt like the songs were meant to be larger productions, but they didn't come across that way in the movie. At the time I thought it might be the volume levels in the theater, which seemed inadequate, but I'm not sure. The more I think about it the more I think the songs were written for the stage (as in Broadway) as some sort of preparation for a move that direction and thus didn't come across as well on screen.

Overall I liked the movie a lot. The songs didn't rub me wrong, they just didn't rub me at all (that should probably be re-phrased). The main characters were fantastic, including Maximus the horse. I liked the twin bad guys as well. There were plenty of LOL moments for me and the scene in the boat with the lanterns was a nice addition to similar scenes in Little Mermaid and Aladdin. I'd certainly recommend the movie.

It was good in 3D, but I don't think the 3D really added anything.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
I got the three kids a pack of Skittles each and a drink. $23.
Holy crap! Going to start tailgating before movies. The family and I can sit out in the car and pound down candy and pop and then go in to the movie.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow
Holy crap! Going to start tailgating before movies. The family and I can sit out in the car and pound down candy and pop and then go in to the movie.
He, he. Most folks sneek that stuff in. I use to do it but haven't in quite a while.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/19568550

He, he. Most folks sneek that stuff in. I use to do it but haven't in quite a while.

I used to but the kids are getting too old and they notice that stuff. Not the message I want to send. I still smuggle beer in though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.