AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ripped all of my music using iTunes onto a Netgear ReadyNAS duo. When I go to play it on other networked devices such as a Playstation 3 or my Denon 4310CI, the music is disorganized. It will let me search by artist, but it won't be in alphabetical order. There may be 10-20 artists in order, and then it starts over at "a" for another 10-20 artists. Same thing for sorting by album or any other category.

If I go to the music by its directory folder structure, it always comes out right, but I can't search for it in any effective way (e.g., it takes forever to find the right folder).

I would have thought that if its a tagging issue, the devices wouldn't be able to identify the artist, album, etc. at all. It can, it just cannot do it in order.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
OK... a few things to consider...

1. folder and tags are different.

2. itunes usually does a decent job with tags....

3. Different Servers and programs have subtle issues with tagging...

a. like what they do with leading or trailing white spaces

b. characters like / \\ ?

What UPNP Server are you using...

the UPNP Server reads the tags from the files...

check the tags with a 3rd party program like "tag and rename".,

either the tags are messed up. The UPNP Server is messed up or some incompatibility between the two. A little investigation will usually solve the problem.

good luck

Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The UPNP server is built into the software of the the ReadyNAS Duo NAS drive. I don't know much more about it other than that its Linux based.

I am still confused how the tags could be wrong if the devices all properly read the files in the sense that they get the artist name, album, etc. correctly when you play the specific file. The part it gets wrong is that they are all out of order an cannot be "searched" by either device when it tried to play the music using the device's software.

Does anyone know how to delete the "index" file on this drive so I can have it create a new one?

Also, if I use "Tag and Rename", will it mess up my Itunes directory? I use my music both in Itunes and on the UPnP.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 /forum/post/17030292

Thanks for the response. The UPNP server is built into the software of the the ReadyNAS Duo NAS drive. I don't know much more about it other than that its Linux based.

I am still confused how the tags could be wrong if the devices all properly read the files in the sense that they get the artist name, album, etc. correctly when you play the specific file. The part it gets wrong is that they are all out of order an cannot be "searched" by either device when it tried to play the music using the device's software.

Does anyone know how to delete the "index" file on this drive so I can have it create a new one?

Also, if I use "Tag and Rename", will it mess up my Itunes directory? I use my music both in Itunes and on the UPnP.

Sorry dont have time to explain all the details. If your concerned about the ReadyNAS built in UPNP Server call netgear tech support or post over on their forums. Yoda and team have always been very responsive and knowledgable with support on the readynas products...

cheers,

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts