AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just setup my first HTPC and ran into an issue I cant figure out.

I've got a 22in 16:10 aspect lcd monitor and my 720p 16:9 aspect projector connected to the HTPC. Monitor goes into dvi, projector connected to hdmi (ATI 5750).

The display seems to output in 16:10 for both displays. On the monitor it looks fine, the movie will fill the screen to the edge of both sides. But when I watch a movie on the projector it seems to cutoff the sides making a smaller screen. This happens on all software from MPC-HC to windows desktop, so Im thinking its a windows setting but I cant figure out how to get it to display 16:9 format rather than 16:10 on the projector.

Ive got windows7x64 resolution set to 1280x720 (projectors native res). Ive found the control pannel display properties for multiple displays but cant find any settings that correct this issue.

Any Ideas? Are you guys using another program that I should be using that manages multiple displays?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I set the output to a non-hdtv supported format, say 1280x1024 I get the full size 720P output from my projector, if I set it to 720p or 1080p it always shows a smaller screen, closer to 1160x600.

I dont think the other monitor being 16:10 has anything to do with it. i connected a 4:3 monitor and had the same issue.

I think the ATI HD supported format is output incorrectly, has any one experienced a smaller screen with HDMI output on an ATI card?

Ive got a 5750 with 10.11 drivers btw.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
need to be in "extended desktop" mode instead of "cloned" to be able to set each resolution separately. That's the only way you're going to get things to display properly on both monitors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/19605790

need to be in "extended desktop" mode instead of "cloned" to be able to set each resolution separately. That's the only way you're going to get things to display properly on both monitors.

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunatly the problem persists in either extended or duplicate mode. I have also tried the scaling checkbox checked or unchecked with no results.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
unfortunatly the problem persists in either extended or duplicate mode

Well, once you put it in extended, then you need to select the native resolution for each panel. The final step is to play with the overscan on the control center for each display independently until the displays are correct.

Honest, this comes up on a daily basis and this is what you'll need to do to fix it...

(btw-"720p" is not the native resolution of your projector - might be 1280x720 which is what you'll want to select on the control panel)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockytt you solved it! Thank you!

I didnt realize overscan was referring to the size of the screen, I thought that was some interlacing setting, anyways just changed the overscan to 0 and its perfect now.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts