AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goal, Stream Radio, DNLA, etc through receiver and speakers while playing a relaxation BD/DVD (IE just scenery).

So, methods?

Most obvious is have a bluray player straight to the TV.

I guess I just found why I would like two HDMI out on my blu-ray. I dont.

VSX-1021 is the receiver.

Does anyone else do this, and if so what works for you?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Even if your BR player had two HDMI outs, you wouldn't necessarily be able to send the audio from one source (say a streaming audio file) and the video from another (disc, another file) at the same time.

My Oppo 93 has two HDMI outs, primarily so people with older non-3D receivers can send the audio over HDMI to the receiver, and the video from the 2nd HDMI out to a 3D-capable tv. There isn't a way to play the audio and video simultaneously from two sources (with this device).

That said, if I had to make this happen with my setup, I'd probably look at using a second input on the tv with a second video source.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that is what I was thinking.

BD player with 2 outs. 1 to receiver , 1 to TV.

TV plays the Tranquility images, while the receiver is streaming via DNLA or Itunes the music I want.

Either way, I need another source since my BD is only a single HDMI. Wish I though of this before picking this one up.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
To clarify - you want to do the streaming audio from the itunes server to the receiver, or from the same BD player that will be playing the tranquil video?

If you can stream audio to the receiver directly (which it looks like you can), then BIslander is right. Just use component out directly to the tv from the BR player. Then the TV will show whatever you want, regardless of the activity in the AVR.

But if you want to be using a BR player as the source for both audio and video, regardless of two HDMI outputs on the player, you will probably not able to use separate audio and video sources simultaneously (video from disc/audio from DLNA).

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
In the wonderful (and fully functional) days of analog, this would be a patently simple system. There are signal switchers with the "audio follow video" function that can be disabled. This allows any video source to be paired with any audio source.

I have done this many times while installing video based signage systems in conference rooms for conventions and feeding the hotel MATV system simultaneously.

One size fits all digital systems are so much fun. Once you get past the handshake and format issues.

The analog systems work first time, every time and have done so for many years. Of course, after tomorrow, all the digital stuff you bought today will be obsolete.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too would like to watch and hear my TV while playing audio from a different source (internet radio, CD player, airplay, etc); how can this be acheived?

Can this be acheived with a 2nd (alternative, as HDMI is 1st) redundant composite connection to the cablebox to the TV (or not connect the TV to the receiver and use iphone/ipad app to control the audio)?

Also I know there is a way to route audio directly to the TV speakers, will this work in the above scenario)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.