Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to build an HTPC and need to decide on a display. My budget for the display is around $1500, maybe a little more if it's worth it, and I probably won't buy it before October-November. I want a large screen, will sit 10-12 feet away from it, and want to use it both for everyday use (e-mail, web browsing) as well as for gaming and movies. Will this be possible (specifically, the everyday use part) with a 37" LCD 1080p display (like the Westinghouse)? Would a projector be more cost-effective for a bigger screen, and how much would I sacrifice in terms of resolution etc.?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wouldn't recommend spending just around $1500 for a front projection system (considering a screen itself that costs around $700). Considering your budget you are probably better off to go with a Rear Projection big screen TV (DLP a plus).

·
Registered
167 Posts
$1500 is plenty for front projection, assuming you have the correct room setup for one. The Infocus 5000 or Sanyo Z3 are both excellent 720p projectors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with rear-projection, as I understand it, is resolution - I won't be able to use it as a primary computer display as well, will I?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I am going to be doing a Sanyo PLV-Z3 and a Optoma Greywolf 1.8 gain 106" 16:9 screen.

Check around the forums here and online, the screen can be had for as little as $160.00 and it is a highly recomended screen, the projector is a 720p projector and is a great buy for the size of screen you want and fully supports HD content, also makes a great comanion for a HTPC.

- Josh

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Shiva_T

What about your room configuration - particularly ambient lighting? If you have a bright room, then a PJ won't be a good option right now. However, enough can't be said for how much fun everyone will have viewing movies or games on a screen "measured in feet, not inches" (to borrow a fellow forum member's signature ;)).

You can DIY a screen, or get an affordable HP screen for less than $300 if you shop around (DaLite comes to mind).

I'm sort of in the same boat as you are - but I have my HT (at least how I define a HT - X1 PJ/106" HCMW DaLite screen/no name 6.1 receiver & speakers - there's always room for upgrades, but ya gotta start somewhere), and am now researching my HTPC options (although I may just wait a bit and see what options the Xbox 360 offers!).

If you have a family/roommates, I dare say that once you get set up, you'll find that your personal usage will actually go down, because everyone else will be logging a lot of hours too! :D (Not to mention watching that brand new baseball team of yours in HD, right?)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Make sure the display has HDCP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.

As for 720p vs. 1080p, doesn't only the latter qualify as true HD? A 720p projector would mean I can't run Windows with a res. of more than 1280x720?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy311
$1500 is plenty for front projection, assuming you have the correct room setup for one. The Infocus 5000 or Sanyo Z3 are both excellent 720p projectors.
Remember, you get what you pay...

About the screens too, you can spend $0 for the screen (project to your wall) but the screen gains you get from decent screens (Da-Lite etc) would certainly make the difference.

Shiva, don't go cheap when buying electronics, remember the age old mantra "You get what you pay for"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.