AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so overwhelmed from a few years ago from buying my pioneer elites.

Everyday I feel like there are new technologies coming out. Can someone please breakdown the difference between 4K, UHD, and now SUHD.

UHD is a higher resolution correct? but when 4K blares hit they will just be unconverted to UHD then correct? Blares won't be 4k vs UHD right? The S in SUHD is a color bit correct? That means the content will be converted to a better color depth?

Also are most displays coming with the newer specs of 2.2 for full 18G speeds? I assume if I'm buying now i should only be looking at sets with 2.0/2.2?

I just need some direction. . . . I'm sorry if this is broad but I'm just starting to read and there is just so much.

Is it me or was it easier years ago when we went from SD to HD?

jim

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I am so overwhelmed from a few years ago from buying my pioneer elites.

Everyday I feel like there are new technologies coming out. Can someone please breakdown the difference between 4K, UHD, and now SUHD.

UHD is a higher resolution correct? but when 4K blares hit they will just be unconverted to UHD then correct? Blares won't be 4k vs UHD right? The S in SUHD is a color bit correct? That means the content will be converted to a better color depth?

Also are most displays coming with the newer specs of 2.2 for full 18G speeds? I assume if I'm buying now i should only be looking at sets with 2.0/2.2?

I just need some direction. . . . I'm sorry if this is broad but I'm just starting to read and there is just so much.

Is it me or was it easier years ago when we went from SD to HD?

jim
Its actually real simple. Basically, Pioneer Elite > everything else that came after. ;)

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
it can be pretty complicating at times thats for sure. ill give you some very basics. 4k and UHD is basically the same thing, just 2 difference terms. in order to actually see real 4k/uhd material, it must be filmed with a new 4k camera,and your tv panel has to be 4k(smaller pixels, every pixel in 1080p tvs is now broken down into 4 subpixels so they are very small). SUHD is kind of just a marketing thing by samsung to show that this years 4k tvs are better than last years, because they are using quantum dots for better colors and more brightness. only samsungs top 3 models for 2015 have the SUHD branded name. the lower models are still nice, but the top 3 are better(and alot more expensive too!!)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it can be pretty complicating at times thats for sure. ill give you some very basics. 4k and UHD is basically the same thing, just 2 difference terms. in order to actually see real 4k/uhd material, it must be filmed with a new 4k camera,and your tv panel has to be 4k(smaller pixels, every pixel in 1080p tvs is now broken down into 4 subpixels so they are very small). SUHD is kind of just a marketing thing by samsung to show that this years 4k tvs are better than last years, because they are using quantum dots for better colors and more brightness. only samsungs top 3 models for 2015 have the SUHD branded name. the lower models are still nice, but the top 3 are better(and alot more expensive too!!)
thanks for the reply. i did a lot of reading last night. so some questions. . . .

am i to assume all 4k or uhd sets are all 3800x2100 (forgot exact number) in pixel count. they can't be the true 4k resolution cause then they would not be 16:9. they would be more of a scope screen?

so i'm not really looking at pixel count when buying one?

also. . . when 4k disks come out will they be a certain frame rate like 30 or 60 and do i need to be looking at the set to make sure it can reproduce that frame rate so the picture is not converted up or down as little as possible?

kinda on the same line. . . bit rate. what kinda bit rate should i be looking for? i see a lot of the new oled's do 10 bit. will 4k bluray be the same or will it be diff? does it matter?

ok the next and i'm not looking to start anything here but 4:4:4 vs the others. do i need to worry? i read that 4:4:4 is only if i use it as a computer display so i don't need to worry about that one. does the set have to be able to accept a certain way or do i just rely on the processor in the set to handle to conversion cause i think that's how it was in plasma sets right?

i know i need to be 2.2 compliant.

oh the new lg wrgb oled's. the wrbg i taske it that's thier spin on the "s" samsung is using for color quality?

am i missing stuff here?

i guess when the new blurays hit i want to be as pure off the disk to the set as possible like i am now so the pic isn't butchered in any way. but i also need to have a good processor in there like the pioneers had to handle tv and all the other material that own't be 4k yet.

this sucks. . . it's like 2000 all over again with sd and hd and the whole line doubling/progressive scan crap. lol

jim

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
The biggest piece of advice I can give, is to wait if you can. I know we always say that and there is always something new, but this is the year of biggest change since SD to HD. You have UHD blu-ray standards that need finalizing as well as HDR standards, Chroma standards, HDMI or new connection standards, etc. Most current 4K material you can even get is less than 20mps were true 4K/UHD material will be around 100mbs with additional metadata for HDR decoding. If you have to buy now and money is no object the 65" OLED are one of the best, although they can not do HDR until maybe 2016, but because they can do absolute back they already give a high range of contrast with existing material. Then there are the new WHF (WCG/HDR/FALD) LCDs. They can get close to those deep blacks of OLED, but can also get portions of the screen superbright to reveal details that could be crushed. Right now the Samsung SUHD 65JS9500 is the only one out but more are coming. If you have to buy now, here are a few displays coming out with probable street pricing that are worth looking at.

OLED Displays
LG 65EG9600/9700 $7500/$8500
LG 65EF9500 $8500
LG 77EG9700 $22000

WHF Displays
Samsung 65" UN65JS9500 (150 zones) $5000
Samsung 65" UN78JS9500 (180? zones) $9000
Panasonic 65" 65CX850 (64-72? zones) $4000
Vizio 65" R65 (384? zone, may have been the 120") $3500
Hisense 65" 65XT900 (144 zone, Dolby Vision) $2500
Sony 75" 75X940C (128? zones) $7000
Sharp 80" Beyond 4K (? zones, faux 8K) $?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest piece of advice I can give, is to wait if you can. I know we always say that and there is always something new, but this is the year of biggest change since SD to HD. You have UHD blu-ray standards that need finalizing as well as HDR standards, Chroma standards, HDMI or new connection standards, etc. Most current 4K material you can even get is less than 20mps were true 4K/UHD material will be around 100mbs with additional metadata for HDR decoding. If you have to buy now and money is no object the 65" OLED are one of the best, although they can not do HDR until maybe 2016, but because they can do absolute back they already give a high range of contrast with existing material. Then there are the new WHF (WCG/HDR/FALD) LCDs. They can get close to those deep blacks of OLED, but can also get portions of the screen superbright to reveal details that could be crushed. Right now the Samsung SUHD 65JS9500 is the only one out but more are coming. If you have to buy now, here are a few displays coming out with probable street pricing that are worth looking at.

OLED Displays
LG 65EG9600/9700 $7500/$8500
LG 65EF9500 $8500
LG 77EG9700 $22000

WHF Displays
Samsung 65" UN65JS9500 (150 zones) $5000
Samsung 65" UN78JS9500 (180? zones) $9000
Panasonic 65" 65CX850 (64-72? zones) $4000
Vizio 65" R65 (384? zone, may have been the 120") $3500
Hisense 65" 65XT900 (144 zone, Dolby Vision) $2500
Sony 75" 75X940C (128? zones) $7000
Sharp 80" Beyond 4K (? zones, faux 8K) $?
Thanks man. I'm actually in no hurry. I started reading cause there is so much to learn even before I'm ready cause I have been so out of the loop. I'm in the middle of a dedicated build. This set is forcthe living space outside the theatre but I still want something good down there due to the fact that all my other sets are pioneer elites and I just really have enjoyed using them for over 7 years now. I want something as good or better. But figured better to start looking now so I undrstand more when ready.

Here's a question. I plan on using cat6a shielded with hdmi extenders instead of hdmi wires so this is going to also be a large part of the puzzle also cause they might not even be caught up to standards when I'm ready for the set?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts