AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here,

I have a 4504 that I have been using for a couple of months, mainly with the help of this forum's FAQ's and members. Thanks

I got a Mitsubishi WS55511 last week that works great on all inputs, except the Replay. The replay using either S-Video or AV cables has terrible artifacts all over the screen. It is just driving me nuts.

Anyone know of this problem, and possibly a way around it??

thanks

jon

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
As you probably know, replay (or any PVR for that matter) compresses the signal in mpegs in order to record it. With a large tv, you can't get away with recording at low quality -- you'll need to use at least medium and perhaps even high (my replay 4xxx looks ok on my 50" plasma at medium but miserable at low quality).

If it still sucks at high quality, note that the mpeg chip in the 5xxx units are significantly better than those in the 4xxx units, so you might consider seeing if you can find a 5xxx owner to swap with (the 5xxx have better PQ but you have to balance that by the fact that they are somewhat flakier).

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In addition to the problems of compression introduced by the ReplayTV, that television handles composite/S-Video input pretty badly. If you can, use the component output of the ReplayTV (you may need a VGA breakout cable for that model ReplayTV), set to YPrPb (not VGA) which will feed a 480p signal to your TV. The TV does a MUCH better job with a progressive component input than composite or S-Video.

For similar reasons I would highly recommend a progressive scan DVD player for that set.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You have a few issues here:

1- The Replay 4X series use an awful MPEG2 encoder. It's junk.

2- If you're recording in "standard" mode or whatever their term is for "low bitrate crapola mode" then try a higher bit rate. I do everything in the highest mode.

3- Is your new TV way bigger than your old TV? If so then Chances are it's just revealing the nature of cable or DBS, compounded by a bad MEPG2 encoder.

Basically: nothing is broken. The best thing you can do is record in high quality mode or upgrade to a 5000 for the better MPEG2 encoder.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd be awfully interested in how things turn out for you with that setup, since I too have a 4504 (though I replaced the drive with a 120 GB) and I am considering the Mitsubishi 65511 - which I believe has all the same hardware as the 55511.

When you said you tried AV cables, did you mean composite or component? Alot of folks have said that composite may atually beat component in this case, because they say the comb filters are better in most TVs than in the Replay - but it might be worth trying both ways.

Off topic, have you tried hooking up a PC to the VGA input yet? The manual says the port is only for 640x480, but I've been trying to figure out if anyone has had succes at higher resolutions, perhaps using the PowerStrip s/w.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a 4504 and a Mits 55809 and while I can see the artifacts, it is the nature of MPEG. Realize that you got something with a surface area that can be measured in square feet or even square yards and that an MPEG square (the artifact) that would have been maybe 1"X1" on your old set is now 3"X3" or so and possibly being stretched depending on what mode you have the TV set to. If you want to get over the image quality, do what I did prior to getting an RTV, record your shows at the slowest speed on a vhs vcr and watch them, then record the shows at whatever quality on the RTV (I record everything in standard right now since it is only a 4504) and see if it maybe isn't a little better. (BTW, I didn't do the vcr thing to get "ready" for the RTV, it was what I had to use to keep up with a couple of shows that were on daily.)

My info:

ReplayTV 4504 (AR cable) composite to

Pioneer VSX D608 (AR cable) composite to

Mitsubishi WS 55809 on Input 1

Make sure you've setup your Mits properly too, turn down the contrast etc etc. A lot of the image quality with the Mits comes from proper setup. If you haven't already, the *************** has a great Mitsubishi forum that goes into great detail about setting these sets up including service menus for convergence and HSSM (I think) setting and other things which can affect image quality.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a couple of RTV 4000 series and a Mitsubishi WT-55411 (same set, no HD tuner).

Yeah, it looks like total crap. I mean, the ReplayTV played through the set.

I found the following helped (some):

1) component inputs. Actually, I have a fabulously expensive receiver that upconverts the S-Video from the ReplayTV to component for the TV. Even though it shouldn't, it looks TONS better than the same S-Video signal fed directly into the set.

2) ISF calibration

3) Recording everything at impossibly high quality

4) Doing anything possible to improve the signal quality going into the ReplayTV. After all, anything sort of bad on a 27" set is going to be really bad on a 55" set.

After all of this, I still find it difficult to watch anything recorded off an analog channel on my ReplayTV, but at least it's not so horrible I'm constantly trying to tweak it.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Just picked up a 5080 today from Best Buy ($349 - $50 rebate) and hooked it up to my 65" Mits. HDTV.

The results are much better than expected. It's not HDTV, but it looks pretty good (and in widescreen) if you can't catch your favorite HD programs when they're on live (previously I always had to watch on the bedroom 32" on my Showstopper).

I'm using a RCA DTC-100 for my OTA digital reception along with HDNET and HBO-HD (which I have hooked up to the RTV via S-video and analog audio).

Tonight, I recorded Bernie Mac (FOX-480p), Bikini Destinations (HDNET-1080i) and High Crimes (HBO-1080i). All looked very good coming through the ReplayTV @ 480p and 16:9 on the component input of my HDTV.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be able to use the IR transmitter at all, but tonight I just did all one touch recording just to see how things looked. Since the DTC-100 has seperate lineups for OTA and DirecTV, plus the fact that you can't output 1080i and 480i at the same time, I might have to upgrade my HD receiver to one that will give me both features (plus serial or IR control from the ReplayTV).

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My wife and I are very happy with her 4508 hooked up to our Mits 55819 with S-Video. We always record in Medium unless we're recording HDTV in 480i. After watching HDTV, all digital cable shows suffer in comparison, and the Replay at medium is not much worse.

Tim

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I got the 5080 talking to my DTC-100 now and I can schedule stuff on the OTA channels (as long as I don't have the HDTV monitor button pushed on the receiver, then it does not output from the analog video outputs).

Everything looks really good when recorded on "high".

Tim, if you have your 4508 connected via S-video, then you aren't taking advantage of the 480p output of your ReplayTV. Am I correct in saying that? If so, you might try connecting via component video to a 480p input on your HDTV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randy,

I never record in low quality except for cartoons for the kids. Medium, High, and Live TV have the same issues.

Cheezmo, By a vga breakout cable, do you mean something to make the VGA output of the Replay into composite video? I didn't know that was possible, but I am picking up a VGA gender-bender tonight to try VGA-to-VGA and I will look for the breakout cable. (The TV has VGA input but has female connector, the replay and dreamcast vga outputs also have female).

I'll post my results.

later

jon

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdiehl
I got the 5080 talking to my DTC-100 now and I can schedule stuff on the OTA channels (as long as I don't have the HDTV monitor button pushed on the receiver, then it does not output from the analog video outputs).

Everything looks really good when recorded on "high".

Tim, if you have your 4508 connected via S-video, then you aren't taking advantage of the 480p output of your ReplayTV. Am I correct in saying that? If so, you might try connecting via component video to a 480p input on your HDTV.
To the best of my knowledge, the 4508 doesn't have a deinterlacer built into it. Even if it does, it's doubtful that it's as good as the one in my Mits. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing component outs on the 4508 anyway.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I used the VGA output of the replay to the VGA input of the TV. This seemed to do alot better with the picture.

Anyone know a cheap place for VGA->Composite (yPrPb) video cables??

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.