AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Dell XPS with a Radeon 9800 pro to upgrade from my system with a Nvidia 256 and I discovered that the Radeon will not support 1280 x 768. I am trying to run two monitors: a Pionner 50" plasma and sony sdm-v72w. The card will drive both monitors, but only at 1080 x 768. Whats up with that?

Is anyone aware of a top of the line video card that will support 1280 x 768 duel monitors so I can run them in their native resolution?

I thought things would be progressing, but it looks like ATI is moving backwards.

Eric

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
you need powerstrip and use their 1280 x 768 resoluton. I know it works as I helped a friend setup his computer to the same plasma.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This has to be some sort of error. The 9800 runs 1280 X 768 just fine with the stock drivers. I would suggest you simply upgrade to cat 3.7 drivers and you should be all set. I am running 1280 x 768 with no problems. It sounds like 1080 x 768 was mistakenly keyed in when it was supposed to be 1280 x 768.

Chris

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1280 X 768 is a standard defined resolution - WXGA. Try choosing show all resolutions (if you have it in the ATI video applet). Are you sure on the 1080 x 768 - and not 1024 x 768 which is XGA..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right current resolution is 1024 x 768, but I am sure that 1280 x 768 is not listed anywhere. How do you "List all resolutions".

I did install the latest catalyst driver, but still no 1280 x 768. I tried to explain to Dell that I could not believe a state of the art card did not support a standard video resolution. They told me that my resolution was not standard and that computers were not designed to support 1280 x 768. Where do they get those guys. In their defense ATI documentation does not list 1280 x 768 as a supported resolution so I am curious how those of you that are running it are able to do so.

I am trying to avoid using powerstrip. If I can't get this worked out over the weekend I am sending the whole thing back.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ewooley, if worse comes to worse, all you have to do is use Powerstrip, get the resolution and uninstall powerstrip. The resolution will stay.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Not ignoring you, I am at work now. If no one responses back on how to show all resolutions, I will tonight.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It might be the monitor that is being detected. Mine simply is showing as default. You also might try tuning off Plug and Play detection and choose a display.

To get to show all resolutions, go to the video applet, simplest it to right click on an open area of the screen and select properties. Select the setting tab and the advanced button. Under Adapter you should see the resolution that you want.

I also have the ATI logo in the toolbar (it is one of the options on one of the tabs) turned on. When it is in the toolbar, and you click on the logo, a list of resolutions pops up. The 1280 X 768 is listed on mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.