AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my setup and I have a 27" iMac i7. I hooked up the Moshi MDP to HDMI adapter into the iMac and ran a 45ft HDMI cable from computer to the Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver. Everything worked as it should until I switched sources on my receiver. That's when the problem started. The computer would skip or freeze but a restart fixed the problem and this happens everytime so restarting everytime is out of the question. So, if I am outputting something to HDTV I can't switch back and forth between sources. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/19538999

Yes; some solve their problem with a Gefen HDMI Detective.

Thanks for the reply, however, the price for this device doesn't justify the cause. I thought $35 for the Moshi adapter was pushing it but I wouldn't have been fine if it worked flawlessly. The siggested solution is not only expansive but the size of the product also bothers me. If there really is no other solution then I am left with the monoprice mdp to hdmi adapter that doesn't cause the freezing issue but without audio and I would rather not run a 45ft optical cable either because that would defeat the purpose of running 1 cable.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
the price for this device doesn't justify the cause.

well, the cause is you trying to send audio and video through your particular AVR over HDMI...despite our willingness to think of it as such, a Mac isn't a "consumer electronic" device and Apple doesn't support you doing this. Going through an AVR works for some, it doesn't work for others.

Not sure what you mean by the price not justifying the cause, but, "home theater PCs" are an expensive hobby and if you're stubborn about going through that particular AVR with HDMI--and have tried all the other troubleshooting possibilities--then you just might re-assess the cost-to-performance ratio of a ~$100 add-on like the Gefen. It, and it alone, solves EDID/switching input problems for many AVS users.

Quote:
If there really is no other solution then I am left with the monoprice mdp to hdmi adapter that doesn't cause the freezing issue but without audio and I certainly can't run a 45ft optical cable either

well, you certainly can run a 50" optical cable, you may not want to, but decent quality cables that long are inexpensive ($10-12 bucks at monoprice) and work just fine. I'm using one at the moment.

I can't speak to which adaptor causes which issue, but if 1) you really like the image quality you're getting with your current adaptor, 2) cost is an issue and 3) routing audio over optical would solve your current situation without having to swap out or buy anything else, that seems like a very viable option. I will add, though, I wouldn't want to buy a Gefen HDMI Detective either--but the folks around here who have been buying Gefen DVI Detectives and later HDMI Detectives swear by them. Up to you.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/19539435

well, the cause is you trying to send audio and video through your particular AVR over HDMI...despite our willingness to think of it as such, a Mac isn't a "consumer electronic" device and Apple doesn't support you doing this. Going through an AVR works for some, it doesn't work for others.

Not sure what you mean by the price not justifying the cause, but, "home theater PCs" are an expensive hobby and if you're stubborn about going through that particular AVR with HDMI--and have tried all the other troubleshooting possibilities--then you just might re-assess the cost-to-performance ratio of a ~$100 add-on like the Gefen. It, and it alone, solves EDID/switching input problems for many AVS users.

well, you certainly can run a 50" optical cable, you may not want to, but decent quality cables that long are inexpensive ($10-12 bucks at monoprice) and work just fine. I'm using one at the moment.

I can't speak to which adaptor causes which issue, but if 1) you really like the image quality you're getting with your current adaptor, 2) cost is an issue and 3) routing audio over optical would solve your current situation without having to swap out or buy anything else, that seems like a very viable option. I will add, though, I wouldn't want to buy a Gefen HDMI Detective either--but the folks around here who have been buying Gefen DVI Detectives and later HDMI Detectives swear by them. Up to you.

I think you misunderstood my point. It's like going out to buy a milk when you already have a cow. Old analogy but works in this scenario. iMac is fitted with MDP to send not just video but audio as well. The previous version of macs didn't have it but now they do. Why include this feature if it can't be used?

Before I got the iMac I was running a windows machine and I was running 2 seperate cables to get audio and video because the video card that I already have can only output dvi and s-video so I ran a 45ft s-video to receiver and ran a 40 or 45ft digital coax cable from sound card to receiver.

iMac provided the perfect solution and thats not the only reason I bought an iMac either. The new MDP outputs audio/video to HDTV either directly or through a receiver and the store even sells the adapter to make that happen.

This updated MDP also works for new Macbooks which a lot of people seems to be using without any issue. They also use the monoprice version to get audio without any issue.

The reason it doesn't justify the cause is because a $10-$35 adapter is designed to work and seems to work with Macbooks but iMac users have the issue that I mentioned. So, why buy a $100 adapter when a $10-$35 adapter is suppose to work. If the MDP didn't provide audio then that would be a different matter and I would gladly buy a separate cable for audio but it's the principle of the matter.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Came home and experimented with different combination of cables and sources and here is what I found.

With the Moshi adapter going through the receiver I get the freezing issue when switching sources but if I plug it directly into the HDTV it works fine.

With the Monoprice adapter there are not freezing issue or losing video going through the receiver or directly to HDTV. So, this works fine EXCEPT theres no audio! Grrrr!

Conclusion, both adapters have issues but for now Monoprice gets the upperhand since it doesn't cause freeze ups and losing signals and I can use the iMac speakers for audio...for now. If Moshi addresses the bug and release a new one then I would definitely get that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu
Came home and experimented with different combination of cables and sources and here is what I found.

With the Moshi adapter going through the receiver I get the freezing issue when switching sources but if I plug it directly into the HDTV it works fine.

With the Monoprice adapter there are not freezing issue or losing video going through the receiver or directly to HDTV. So, this works fine EXCEPT theres no audio! Grrrr!

Conclusion, both adapters have issues but for now Monoprice gets the upperhand since it doesn't cause freeze ups and losing signals and I can use the iMac speakers for audio...for now. If Moshi addresses the bug and release a new one then I would definitely get that.
This specifically says, in red, that it does not support audio.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I am using a Chinese 6 bucks mini displayport to HDMI adapter on my MacBook Pro. It supports audio. MacBook Pro is hooked into a Denon AV receiver. I have to reboot the MacBook Pro whenever I want to use it as a HTPC to sync up the HDMI. Otherwise, my plasma flashes and tries to resync constantly. Not sure if this is what you mean by 'freezing', but it's perfectly normal to get HDMI sync issues, such as the end display flashing, when you are going to an AV Receiver and then to a TV. HDCP has to take place for both those device and things have to sync up.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb
This specifically says, in red, that it does not support audio.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I am using a Chinese 6 bucks mini displayport to HDMI adapter on my MacBook Pro. It supports audio. MacBook Pro is hooked into a Denon AV receiver. I have to reboot the MacBook Pro whenever I want to use it as a HTPC to sync up the HDMI. Otherwise, my plasma flashes and tries to resync constantly. Not sure if this is what you mean by 'freezing', but it's perfectly normal to get HDMI sync issues, such as the end display flashing, when you are going to an AV Receiver and then to a TV. HDCP has to take place for both those device and things have to sync up.
No, my issue happens to be on the other end (computer end). I am not getting the sync issue with the Monoprice adapter though. Going to try out the Kanex adapter I ordered from Amazon and see how well it performs.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received the Kanex MDP to HDMI adapter from Amazon today and it has the same issue as the Moshi adapter.

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu /forum/post/19569471

Received the Kanex MDP to HDMI adapter from Amazon today and it has the same issue as the Moshi adapter.

I would try a shorter, different HDMI cable and see if that is your issue. I just had an issue with a 1.5 ft HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice. The video and audio would glitch in and out. Turned out the cable was bad.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19570110

I would try a shorter, different HDMI cable and see if that is your issue. I just had an issue with a 1.5 ft HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice. The video and audio would glitch in and out. Turned out the cable was bad.

That thought has crossed my mind but I don't know of any other HDMI brand to go with. The Monoprice one I got is a 45FT 24AWG for only $27.92 and the same cable length from Bluejeanscable will cost $123.00!!!

..and you can forget about Monster cables because I am not about to sell my kidney for one of those magical cables.

Anyway, I will try a shorter cable for testing only since I wont be able to use a shorter cable for my setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am curious if you found a solution. I recently purchased an Imac i3 and then bought the MDP to HDMI cord from monoprice. I then ran 40 ft HDMI cord and attached to my Samsung UN55C7000 via the HDMI input. No success here no picture and no sound. I downloaded ResX, thinking it was a resolution configuration problem, but that was also unsuccessful. No picture and no sound. I was told that the MDP from the IMac does not put out sound and that the best I could do was to just ge video from MDB to VGA and then VGA to the TV. This would also give me no sound and downgrade picture quality significantly. Anybody have any thoughts how I can do this, or if it is possible???. Is my monoprice cord the wrong one?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Spanglers /forum/post/19601670

I am curious if you found a solution. I recently purchased an Imac i3 and then bought the MDP to HDMI cord from monoprice. I then ran 40 ft HDMI cord and attached to my Samsung UN55C7000 via the HDMI input. No success here no picture and no sound. I downloaded ResX, thinking it was a resolution configuration problem, but that was also unsuccessful. No picture and no sound. I was told that the MDP from the IMac does not put out sound and that the best I could do was to just ge video from MDB to VGA and then VGA to the TV. This would also give me no sound and downgrade picture quality significantly. Anybody have any thoughts how I can do this, or if it is possible???. Is my monoprice cord the wrong one?

I have not tried with a shorter HDMI cable but I can pretty much conclude that the Moshi and Kinex adapters will work perfectly with audio and video only if you are connected directly to your HDTV. Since I run everything via an AV receiver I am left with the option to get video through Monoprice adapter and use Optical Toslink cable for audio.

I don't know why you are not getting video to your HDTV but you can try unplugging everything from your iMac including the power cord. Wait 10 sec and then plug everything back in and then connect it to your HDTV and see if anything comes up. When I called Apple regarding the MDP issue I was having they had me try the same thing. They also said that the MDP to send audio and video was meant for connecting to HDTV directly and if you are going through an AV receiver then they can't really help me.

Anyway, let me know if you get it to work with your HDTV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I attempted things as you have suggested an still I had no video. I did check HDMI cord and it works fine. I have no way to check the MDP to HDMI cord to see if that is functional or not. There is anything that I need to do on the computer itself to get it to display is there... It should be a "plug and play" kind of deal correct? I did take your advice an ordered the Moshi adaptor in attempt to get both audio and video. Once I receive it I will attempt the same process and let you know how things went.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Spanglers /forum/post/19603381

Well I attempted things as you have suggested an still I had no video. I did check HDMI cord and it works fine. I have no way to check the MDP to HDMI cord to see if that is functional or not. There is anything that I need to do on the computer itself to get it to display is there... It should be a "plug and play" kind of deal correct? I did take your advice an ordered the Moshi adaptor in attempt to get both audio and video. Once I receive it I will attempt the same process and let you know how things went.

Btw, do you get any signal sent to your HDTV at all or does it display a message on your HDTV screen sometime like "no signal found" or something along that line? Is there a local Apple store? Where did you purchase your iMac from if you don't mind me asking? If you have a local Apple store then you could have bought the Moshi adapter from there. Also, try different HDMI inputs from your HDTV to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, the TV displays "no signal". I have tried all 4 HDMI inputs with the same message. There is not an apple store locally, I would have to get "apple" supplies from BB if it came to it. There selection is not the greatest so I choose to purchase from web sites. Usually much cheaper, and no tax. I bought the imac from PCMall using by CC points, not a bad trade off, I have be pleased thus far. I have been a windows guy till now. Thanks for helping. I will let you know when I get the Moshi adaptor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went into the system prefs and under displays, two boxes pop up, one that says Samsung on the Title bar and the other iMac. On the Samsung there are two tabs Display and Color. Under Display tab I have a choice of resolutions underneath of it. I choose 1080p, Refresh rate is at its highest 60hz, Rotation-standard, underscan-off. Under the color tab it looks like a bunch of color configuration lines. I left this alone. At the bottom of the box are tabs "gather windows" and "Detect displays". Neither of witch do anything.

The iMac box is set up similar, but also has an arrangement tab. Under the display tab I have it set to 1920x1080, No other choices under display. Arrangement is set to mirror displays, and again I left the color configuration alone.

I have tried changing the display resolutions with out success. The TV still reads "check signal cable". This is the case on all 4 HDMI inputs, with complete rebooting of the iMac including unplugging. Also checking it with my laptop to make sure things were plugged in correctly. Is the TV not recognizing the HDMI input? Should I try one of those Gefen HDMI detectives?? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Spanglers /forum/post/19607620

I went into the system prefs and under displays, two boxes pop up, one that says Samsung on the Title bar and the other iMac. On the Samsung there are two tabs Display and Color. Under Display tab I have a choice of resolutions underneath of it. I choose 1080p, Refresh rate is at its highest 60hz, Rotation-standard, underscan-off. Under the color tab it looks like a bunch of color configuration lines. I left this alone. At the bottom of the box are tabs "gather windows" and "Detect displays". Neither of witch do anything.

The iMac box is set up similar, but also has an arrangement tab. Under the display tab I have it set to 1920x1080, No other choices under display. Arrangement is set to mirror displays, and again I left the color configuration alone.

I have tried changing the display resolutions with out success. The TV still reads "check signal cable". This is the case on all 4 HDMI inputs, with complete rebooting of the iMac including unplugging. Also checking it with my laptop to make sure things were plugged in correctly. Is the TV not recognizing the HDMI input? Should I try one of those Gefen HDMI detectives?? Any thoughts?

Before you dish out $100 for HDMI Detective, you should contact Apple Care and see if they can help with this matter. You may have a defective iMac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just brought the iMac up to the Mac store and they hooked it up to there TV without any problem. My cord works fine for video, but no audio. (What we had anticipated) So somehow the TV is not recognizing the iMac. I am going to check a few other forums to see if anyone has hooked up there macs to a Samsung TV. At least I know now its the computer.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Spanglers /forum/post/19608375

Just brought the iMac up to the Mac store and they hooked it up to there TV without any problem. My cord works fine for video, but no audio. (What we had anticipated) So somehow the TV is not recognizing the iMac. I am going to check a few other forums to see if anyone has hooked up there macs to a Samsung TV. At least I know now its the computer.

That is good news. Do you have an AV receiver that you can hook it up to and see if it will work that way?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts