AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone will find this little message in a bottle and be able to help... Here's the problem: My PS3 is connected to my Onkyo HT-R560, which is the receiver in the HTIB 5100 set. The PS3 is connected to the receiver via HDMI (video) and Dig Opt (audio). With this connection, any time I put in a game, the screen will flicker white/gray every 5-10 seconds or so. I've tried every HDMI cable I have in my house (5 diff; varying lengths) with the same result.

The flicker disappears when the PS3 connects directly to the TV with full 1080p output, so obviously it's a receiver issue. I hooked everything back up to the receiver (same hookup as when i first noticed the problem), went in to the PS3 video settings and changed the video output to 1080i... Voila... The flicker disappeared and life would appear to be normal... Except for the fact that I'm not utilizing my devices to their full 1080p potential.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or seen/read anything regarding it? Suggestions are greatly appreciated, as is advice. I'm hoping that lingering feeling that I've got a faulty receiver is not true! It's only 1 week old...

In case it makes any difference, here is a list of my media equipment:

TV: Samsung LN52A650

DVR: Tivo HD

AV stuff: Onkyo HT-S5100 HTIB (Receiver says HT-R560 on it)

BD/Game: Sony Playstation 3

HDMI connections for all video and digital optical for audio

Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer Jr /forum/post/15433313

Hopefully someone will find this little message in a bottle and be able to help... Here's the problem: My PS3 is connected to my Onkyo HT-R560, which is the receiver in the HTIB 5100 set. The PS3 is connected to the receiver via HDMI (video) and Dig Opt (audio). With this connection, any time I put in a game, the screen will flicker white/gray every 5-10 seconds or so. I've tried every HDMI cable I have in my house (5 diff; varying lengths) with the same result.

The flicker disappears when the PS3 connects directly to the TV with full 1080p output, so obviously it's a receiver issue. I hooked everything back up to the receiver (same hookup as when i first noticed the problem), went in to the PS3 video settings and changed the video output to 1080i... Voila... The flicker disappeared and life would appear to be normal... Except for the fact that I'm not utilizing my devices to their full 1080p potential.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or seen/read anything regarding it? Suggestions are greatly appreciated, as is advice. I'm hoping that lingering feeling that I've got a faulty receiver is not true! It's only 1 week old...

In case it makes any difference, here is a list of my media equipment:

TV: Samsung LN52A650

DVR: Tivo HD

AV stuff: Onkyo HT-S5100 HTIB (Receiver says HT-R560 on it)

BD/Game: Sony Playstation 3

HDMI connections for all video and digital optical for audio

Thanks again...

Be sure you don't have the option for FORCING 1080P24 set to on in the PS3 setup. The receiver may not be able to handle same even with HDMI 1.3 passthrough.

Alternatively try setting it to forced 1080P24 on and see if that kills the flicker on the pass through.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer Jr /forum/post/15433313

Hop on over to the AVR section You'll find many complaints with Onkyo and MANY other recievers that flicker when the PS3 is set to 1080p. Bottom line A LOT of AVR Manfu's claimed that their AVR could do 1080P but the PS3 was the first Mass produced consumer device that Did 1080P via HDMI, and A LOT of AVR Manuf's found out that their 1080p claims werent true. They did NOT have the bandwidth to support 1080P and 8 ch of audio via HDMI. The only fix is to stick with 1080i or go get a new Model that does do 1080p and 8ch of audio. Search the forum and see if there are any other complaints about that model

You may want to pop on over to the HDTV section too.

The other thing you will find is that Samsung Tv's of different models had some serious HDMI handshaking issues when going through an AVR. Check and with Samsung and see if they have a software update for HDCP HDMI handshake for your TV. Just like the AVR's a lot of TV Manuf's didnt impliment HDMI specs correctly, and the PS3 exposed these short cuts, and If memory serves me correctly. Samsung was often complained about when the PS3 first came out. Them and LG and one other I cant think of right now. So your problem is either the TV isnt handling the HDMI handshake correctly or the AVR doesnt have the bandwidth to support full 1080p and 8 ch of audio

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have the onkyo 705 and have had no problems...but I have my res set to automatic

xmb=1080p

most all games 720p

blu rays 1080p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the most recent tx nr 906 and at 1080p i sometimes get snow if I turn the receiver off and on again it works but if the ps3 changes resolutions it goes to snow. if I plug directly into the tv I have no problem. Or if I go to 1080i I have no problem.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Hmmm, it may just be that model - especially if it is one of the earliest HDMI receivers. I own an Onkyo 604 and have my PS3 running through it via HDMI. I've had zero problems, especially nothing like the flicker you are describing.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Onkyo 606 here with my PS3 connected via HDMi with the HDMI out to the TV ( samsung LNT4661F). No problems here in 720P/1080i/1080P with my HDMI connected devices ( PS3 + HD TV receiver (1080i))

sounds like a problem with your receiver

·
Registered
1 Posts
By god, I think I got it licked.

A lot of people said they thought it had to do with the fact that even with HDMI-through, it appears that the Onkyo is doing something to the signal and not passing it straight through. Well, it is: if you're feeding audio through the HDMI Cable. You'll want to tell the Onkyo to leave the audio feed alone, or you simply want to switch to PureAudio (the lossless mode) when you experience the blue snow. This is the small button on the left of the receiver that lights up in a blue ring when you press it.

If that doesn't fix it for you, this is what fixed it for me:

In the Onkyo's Menus:

1) Go to Setup-->Input Assign-->Digital Audio Input and be sure the whatever button you use for the PS3 (I use "DVD") is the same as the button for audio.

2) Go to Setup-->Source Setup-->Picture Adjust and set all values to 0. Turn Noise Reduction off. I use the PS3 to preprocess everything and I think it does a better job, and "Noise Reduction" here refers to "picture", NOT sound: I find it turns lower-resolution signals into messy blobs of color, so I think you're better off.

3) Go to Miscellaneous-->OSD Setup and turn Immediate Display to OFF. I found this also fixed a problem where the screen would randomly go black when I changed the volume levels--it has to do with the fact that it's sending that information down the HDMI cable and screwing with the signal. I also make sure Monitor Type is 16:9, just to lock in the default setting of my TV (don't worry; it'll still display other aspect ratios--here you're just telling it what the TV can do)

4) Go to Hardware Setup-->HDMI and make sure the settings are Monitor Out = HDMI and Outpur Resolution = Through. I also turn Film Mode to OFF, disable Lip Sync and disable x.v.Color, just because I don't have color balance or lip sync problems anyway--remember, the less interfering with the signal when the PS3 is doing the work, the better

In the PS3's menus:

1) Go to Settings-->Video Settings. I use the following and have ZERO blue snow issues:

BD/DVD Conversion = Automatic

BD/DVD Wide Display = Letterbox

BD/DVD Upscaler = Full Screen

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) = Automatic

BD 1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI) = On

BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control = On (personal preference - I don't think this impacts the fix)

BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) = Linear PCM

2) Go to Settings-->Display Settings and choose the following:

Video Output Settings = HDMI (if you step through the wizard for this, just say Yes, Output Audio through HDMI, Auto)

Current Output Resolution = 1080p

Cross Color Reduction Filter = Off (you're not even outputting composite video, so why bother?)

RGB Full Range (HDMI) = Full

YPb/CbPr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) = On

Whenever I launch a game like Gran Turismo, the Onkyo automatically switches me to lossless audio, and presto! No blue glow. I hope this helps you too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pyanfar's directions worked for me. Actually what worked was to turn off all the audio settings on the PS3 except for Dolby 5.1, and that killed the audio hum and it also made the video work more reliably. Thanks Pyanfar!

My PS3 and my Onkyo work great now - no problems!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made the mistake of buying the Onkyo HT-R560 and in less than two years all of the HDMI video inputs started intermittently breaking. Sometimes when you selected the channel both the image and the sound would not come though.

Also the rear speakers stopped working from time to time and I have to run the setup again to get them to turn back on.

I am not sure that Onkyo was ready to introduce this technology, it has been a nightmare and my stereo is going to cost almost as much as I bought it for to fix it.

Oh and there customer service was no help, they just told to bring it to an authorized service center for repair. They had also had no idea where there was one in my city it took them over a day to get back to me.

The Onkyo HT-S5100 looks almost identical to the HT-560 not sure if they are different in anyway.

Stay away from Onkyo in the future! I know I will.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Wow... sounds like this has nothing to do w/ the issue in this thread.

If fact most hdmi issues people were having w/ onkyo's were fixed w/ a firmware update that came out almost a year ago. Sorry about your experience but you should be raging in the AVR forum not here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
since the subject popped out here I'll voice my problem...

on PS3's end everything works fine, but my 360 stopped giving me a picture. I have sound but no picture, only blue screen. 360 is connected via component cable and digital audio to the onkyo 605 and from onkyo to TV via HDMI. Monitor out is set to HDMI. I still have to hook up 360 directly to TV to rule out that it's not the component cable. I tried everything in the receiver's settings. Everything was dandy last time I fired up that dreaded box but now it only gives me a blue screen...

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik /forum/post/19358512

since the subject popped out here I'll voice my problem...

on PS3's end everything works fine, but my 360 stopped giving me a picture. I have sound but no picture, only blue screen. 360 is connected via component cable and digital audio to the onkyo 605 and from onkyo to TV via HDMI. Monitor out is set to HDMI. I still have to hook up 360 directly to TV to rule out that it's not the component cable. I tried everything in the receiver's settings. Everything was dandy last time I fired up that dreaded box but now it only gives me a blue screen...

Start troubleshooting. Sounds like you already know where to start!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.