Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We recently moved to a home in the country which is completely off-grid (100% powered by photovoltaic). Coincidentally my 8-year-old Pioneer RP tv decided to give up the ghost right before we moved (it was on it's last leg and pretty blurry so I'm not too distraught...). Therefore I'm trying to decide what to replace my modest home theatre display with that balances price, power consumption, size and picture quality.

After having an RP for so long I'm kind of leaning towards a direct view set or a plasma display, but I'm open to all suggestions.

About the smallest screen size I could live with would be something like a 34" direct view, and I need it to be in the $3000 range give or take; preferably less.

The sets I've really liked are the Sony 34XBR910, the Samsung HLM507 DLP box, the Panasonic 42" plasma in that price range. I could also consider a projector however that would require some construction in my theatre room.

One of the primary considerations is the power consumption. For example the manufacturer's stated power consumption for the Sony 34XBR910 is 280w and the Panasonic plasma is 290w; both of these are a little higher than I'd like to have (although I'm going to take my watt meter into Circuit City next time I'm in the city to see what they're acutally pulling in real life). The Samsung is rated at 180w.

I want something that is HDTV ready as I'll probably get the DirecTV HD receiver sometime next year.

So, learned masses, do you have any suggestions as to what I might want to be narrowing it down to? Anything I haven't considered? I'm open to all discussion, questions and guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Sym

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
why will a pj need construction?? the only headache is equipment placement and wires.. since most peole have all the equipment on the viewing wall a pj needs either the equipment on the pj wall or a long cablerun. screens have been made by others fairly cheap.. im talking really cheep.. but aso consider that your hdtv purchase isnt just display its also tuner to recive the show that is if you have it in the area.. as far as being off grid whats the battery bank like?? do you have a backup?? also have you looked at how much it would cost to get grid to the home?? reason i ask is you never know if you will need grid power.. plus if you have surplus you can sell it and ake a little money to invest in more cells/more HT gear ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the thoughts.

Maybe "construction" wasn't the best word but to use a projector in my HT room would not be as straightforward as a standalone unit. (The _only_ place the projector could go would be on a wall that has a large 10' open doorway to the living room. The ceilings are 12' so if it could go in that 2' area it would be pointing at a pretty acute angle to the screen wall which is about 10' away. I have no idea whether one can adjust the picture shape to deal with that kind of angle or not; I'm just not familiar with projectors at all.)

Grid tie is not an option. The utility co. wants over $400,000.00 to run lines to the property.

The PV system is well designed; I'm just looking for options that are a good fit with an off-grid home. If that happens to be a projector I can certainly be creative with the installation.

Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Sym

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
anytime. but 400k? how far are you away from the line? some states have a cap on what tey could charge you.. this is part of the REA.. contact the state public utilities commision/corp commision.. anyway outside of that youll want to start looking at maybe changing some things possible.. if you dont have CF lighting def do the swap.. compact florcenct lights are the way to go IMHO.. they also have replacement lamp modules using led but they are way expensive.. do you know what kind of capacity you can run with?? meaning what extra do you have?? next would be to start searching online for the equipment specs for the displays to find out what kind of load they will put on the system.. again you might have to add to the existing power setup but i think if you plan the other power savings one can do youll find youll be ok.

if you dont have one yet get a wattsup meter.. it will tell you the actual usage of equipment. oh and one last thing. i dont know if you subscribe to it or not but consider getting homemade or home power. il have to find the magazine. allot of tricks on tricks on maxamizing and cell setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy again,

Thanks again for the input. I've been a homepower subscriber for several years, have used CF bulbs even before I went off grid and fully explored with the Texas PUC line extensions and such, and have a wattsup meter.

I suppose the best thing will be to measure displays with the meter and see how those numbers compare with the manf's rated power consumption number.

Again, recommendations about any specific displays I might want to look at will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sym

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
A projector could be hung from the ceiling, but I don't think you could really do a front projection system. Most have around a 200w bulb and use more than that for the rest of the hardware. Plus you'd have to run a stereo with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.