AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Trying to display my computer screen on a panny th42px600. It has a vga port on the back. I'd like to split the display from my pc onto the plasma. Did a search on here and found monoprice (great site, hopefully they get some more HDMI cable in stock soon
!) and found the following splitter:

LINXCEL 2-Way SVGA VGA Splitter Amplifier Multiplier 400 MHz, id 231

Is that good enough? Also, I'm looking at a vga cable of about 50 ft, anyone has any experience with a cable that long?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,403 Posts
There can be burn-in with TV programming and gaming also... just follow the precautions outlined in a gazillion threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice on the burn-in and I'm aware of it. This would be for occasional use only, like playing a video and showing pictures. I will not use it on a daily basis.

Anyone has comments on my hardware suggestion?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Could you explain why exactly you would need to split the VGA cable? Either use the plasma for a short period of time (and set your screen saver to come on after 1 Minute of no use) or use your computer monitor. No need to hook both up at once.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/0

Could you explain why exactly you would need to split the VGA cable? Either use the plasma for a short period of time (and set your screen saver to come on after 1 Minute of no use) or use your computer monitor. No need to hook both up at once.

Why in the hell should he explain his reason to you?

He asked if the splitter he found was good enough and if anyone had experience with a 50' VGA cable. If you can't answer the questions, skip the reply button.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster /forum/post/0

Why in the hell should he explain his reason to you?

He asked if the splitter he found was good enough and if anyone had experience with a 50' VGA cable. If you can't answer the questions, skip the reply button.

And your answer to HIS question is..........................??????? Oh....wait.....you don't have one!!!! I suggest you SKIP the reply button also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK guys,

wow, did mean for that thread to degenerate
The main reason for doing it that way is that my computer is located in my den and need to run a cable through the wall to the plasma in the living room. I have a dual head video card, but will use a wireless keyboard to control the main screen from the living. Again, this will be a seldom occurence and will be more convenient if it's already wired. This is a new construction and had conduits inside the walls installed for that purpose.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
23,403 Posts
IMO, the device you found looks like it should do the trick. A 50' VGA cable should be okay.

(If that's okay with "miniz"
)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking to find the answer to this same question (in my case I just bought a 32" LCD and want to keep my current 19" LCD hooked up as well).

I will primarily be using the new 32" LCD for everything (TV, PC, gaming, etc. in the bedroom). My 19" LCD is relatively new and I figure if I wall mount it next to my chair (also in the bedroom) I will be able to retain the higher res of that monitor for occassional use as well (i.e. if my girlfriend wants to watch full screen TV on the 32" or if I am doing any photoshop work).

My PC has only one VGA out (no DVI). I was all ready to buy another video card with DVI out so I could hook both directly to the PC, but if a splitter like this will not degrade the signal I would rather save the money and just buy this. (not to mention I am completely lost as to what video card to buy...there are just WAY too many options)

Does anyone actually know if this will work without signal loss? I am already concerned about using 768 res on a 32" LCD (part of the reason I don't want to get rid of my 19" display), so degrading that signal will be a very bad thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.