AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Displayport 1.2 does not support HDCP 2.2. Having an adapter from Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 is useless without HDCP 2.2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why is useless? Who cares about hdcp, I just want to use my 4k UHD as a computer monitor at 60Hz.

But whatever, no adapters still :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dp 1.2, hdcp 2.2

There is a spec for HDCP2.2 on DP 1.2 dated 21 December 2012
Not that all DP1.2 interfaces, especially older ones, will implement it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why is useless? Who cares about hdcp, I just want to use my 4k UHD as a computer monitor at 60Hz.

But whatever, no adapters still :(
It is less useful because things like Netflix's app will be requiring HDCP 2.2 when they finally get one for your PC that supports 4k; same thing for 4k Blu-Ray. You'll be able to use the TV as a monitor, but most actual native 4k content will not play. Of course, you can always use the player onboard your TV or a dedicated external player when the time comes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I just purchased a Samsung JU7100. I have an Nvidia GTX Titan card in my PC, and I'd like to do high resolution 3d gaming. Am I limited to 1080p 24 Hz? I currently have an HDMI-HDMI cable running from the graphics card to the monitor, but I am certainly open to getting a displayport-hdmi cable if that will help in some way...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found this :

MegaChips is First to Bridge DisplayPort with HDMI2.0a in a Single Chip
New product enables seamless 4K content streaming between personal devices and large screen displays
PR Newswire

SAN JOSE, Calif., June 15, 2015

SAN JOSE, Calif., June 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- MegaChips Corporation today announced the production shipment of the MCDP28 family of products, the world's first devices to bridge DisplayPort1.2 and HDMI2.0a, the two most common digital-display interface technologies used in computer and consumer electronics. The new products implement a high-speed level-shifter and active-protocol converter (LSPCON) in a single chip. Now consumers can enjoy 4K premium content streaming with HDCP2.2 encryption from their personal mobile devices to a large screen display in their living rooms.

"MegaChips is a leading contributor to the evolution of the DisplayPort specification and compliance standards through VESA that revolutionized connectivity experience of consumers," said Amir Sheikholeslami, Vice President Business Development at MegaChips Technology America Corporation. "We have a long history of being the first to offer innovative solutions based on the latest standards. The new MCDP28 products continue this tradition and further expand our DisplayPort offerings in the growing 4K video space that major OEMs are selecting for their next generation of notebooks and tablets based on Intel processors and USB Type-C accessories."
Multi-media converters powered by uncompromised video rendering, advanced content protection, and enhanced security

Supports HDMI level shifting function up to 3.4Gbps data rate and protocol conversion function up to 6.0Gbps data rate, ensuring optimal balance of power and performance for inside notebook and tablet applications

Utmost bandwidth and versatility to empower USB Type-C to HDMI2.0a accessory (dongles, docking station) designs

Ultimate visual experience through High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging for deep color video up to 4Kx2K 60Hz, CEA timing

MCDP2800 (64 LFBGA, 7x7mm) – LSPCON for Motherboard down-configuration application solution

MCDP2850 (64 LFBGA, 7x7mm) – USB Type-C / DisplayPort to HDMI2.0 accessory application solution

reuters.com/article/2015/06/15/megachips-hdmi-chip-idUSnPn5PfYPz+96+PRN20150615

megachips.us/products/documents/MCDP28x0_Databrief.pdf

remove the space before the Dot com. couldnt post links here because i just registered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sounds really promising. Now someone has to build an adapter cable around it and it would sell like hotcakes.

The only drawback I see is that it has a maximum of 8 bit color depth at RGB/YCbCr444.

Max video resolution and color depth
– 4Kp60Hz, RGB/YCbCr444, 8bpc
– 4Kp60Hz, YCbCr422 up to 12bpc
– 4Kp60Hz, YCbCr420, up to 16bpc
– 4Kp30Hz, RGB/YCbCr444, up to 16bpc

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sounds really promising. Now someone has to build an adapter cable around it and it would sell like hotcakes.

The only drawback I see is that it has a maximum of 8 bit color depth at RGB/YCbCr444.
Yes lets hope they show up before the end of the year. Regarding the 8bit color i think that is an inherent hdmi 2.0 limitation.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I noticed that Gigabyte has two motherboards that utilize a MCDP28 series chip to convert Skylake's DP to HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2.

I don't think other MB manufacturers are using the Megachip yet. Perhaps they will in order to offer HDMI 2.0.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belkin-Apple MiniDP to HDMI 4K 60Hz?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cable in order to connect my graphics card (R9 295X2 that has miniDP 1.2 [email protected]) to a LG 55" UB830V 4K TV with HDMI 2.0. Mini DP was released by Apple end of 2008, so I checked on Apple's website. I found out that Belkin offers a Apple "exclusive" Mini DP to HDMI cable and it says it's 4K but no further information.

I called Apple, and they don't have any information either, except "4K". They suggested me to contact Belkin's technical support and even them don't have more information in their internal data sheet. The Website is going to be updated with more technical info on that cable.

I think the most important thing is that the bandwidth has to be 18 Gbit/s, then it can handle 48 bit/pix and 4K 60 Hz, no? Then you can put any color profile am I right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found an amazon review saying that the following adapter does [email protected]:
amazon.com/aLLreLi-DisplayPort-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B00ZA067MA

Adapter delivers 4K60 with HDMI 2.0 cable, love it. This seems to be a new version that must have the new Parade Tech chip inside (the one shown in the pictures on this product page show the old one that is only capable of 4K30). So far, I have ZERO complaints about this awesome adapter, and my company just bought 12 more!
There is no word regarding supported HDMI version in their official website, though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found an amazon review saying that the following adapter does [email protected]:
amazon.com/aLLreLi-DisplayPort-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B00ZA067MA

There is no word regarding supported HDMI version in their official website, though...
Just ordered the adapter niea mentioned: amazon.com/aLLreLi-DisplayPort-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B00ZA067MA (link credit to niea). It'll be here in the next day or two. I'll let y'all know if it actually works. Big thanks to this thread for helping me determine which adapters were bogus or not.

I'm using a LG43UF7600 Smart TV at 3840x2160 and 60Hz, but with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. The TV has HDMI 2.0, which is enabled by using the "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" option in the settings. My computer uses an NVIDIA GTX 770, which only has HDMI 1.4, but does have DisplayPort 1.2, so if this adapter actually does convert to HDMI 2.0, that would be amazing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No dice. Couldn't get any of the OS's in my triple boot setup (Windows 10, El Capitan, and Ubuntu 14.04) to run 4k at 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I'm a bit of a newbie to 4k displays (just got mine a month ago), but I believe the output color depth should be 12bcc instead of 8, but there is no option to up it to 12bcc at 3840x2160 (though I can use the 12bcc at 1080p - makes sense). I left a comment on the review that claims the adapter outputs HDMI 2.0 at Amazon (here: amazon.com/review/R1HNE3EKMBW0HX/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00ZA067MA&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful), but it's largely invisible since it hasn't been upvoted.

Given the $11 price tag and no claims on the product to actually convert to HDMI 2.0, I probably should have expected this. Worth a shot though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No dice. Couldn't get any of the OS's in my triple boot setup (Windows 10, El Capitan, and Ubuntu 14.04) to run 4k at 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I'm a bit of a newbie to 4k displays (just got mine a month ago), but I believe the output color depth should be 12bcc instead of 8, but there is no option to up it to 12bcc at 3840x2160 (though I can use the 12bcc at 1080p - makes sense). I left a comment on the review that claims the adapter outputs HDMI 2.0 at Amazon (here: amazon.com/review/R1HNE3EKMBW0HX/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00ZA067MA&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful), but it's largely invisible since it hasn't been upvoted.

Given the $11 price tag and no claims on the product to actually convert to HDMI 2.0, I probably should have expected this. Worth a shot though.
Thanks a lot for confirming it! I have LG 40UB800T (40UB8000) which can do up to [email protected] 4:2:0 only. So, it might just work fine with my XPS 13 (Intel HD 5500), but I'll wait until we get one with Parade Tech's chip. Hopefully, it's just around the corner.

41 - 60 of 232 Posts