AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I guess HDMI (which is limited to single-link DVI speeds) doesn't have a high enough resolution in the form it is currently being deployed.

As such HDMI wouldn't be suitable for connecting some of the high-res displays (like the 30" Apple Cinema display) to PCs - let alone coping with future upgrades.

Dual-link DVI does deliver video at a resolution and refresh rate suitable for current top-end displays - and there is a dual-link HDMI standard as well (though I don't know any kit that uses it) - but the cabling for these is pretty serious, with many conductors, so I can see the impetus behind a new solution using fewer conductors etc.

However you would also want to build in future-proofing I guess, to allow for higher refresh rates, resolutions and colour depths. 8 bit component bit depth is a real quality issue for some - so getting away from it as a limitation would be good. The higher the max data rate a display interconnect delivers the better!

(One of the variances between HDMI and DVI is that some flavours of HDMI apparently allow 12 bit rather than 8 bit depths for the components being carried, but only when combined with 4:2:2 YCrCb video rather than 4:4:4 RGB or YCrCb)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.