AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
After Reading DisplayPort looks more geared toward the PC.

Quote:
How DisplayPort Differs from HDMI

HDMI is a great consumer electronics interface, but VESA does not feel it is the best solution for PCs as a monitor interface. A somewhat limited performance is available in terms of resolution and color depth for PC monitors (see comparison chart for exactly how this might impact future displays). HDMI is designed to be a premium A/V interface, rather than as a broadly available general purpose display interface. The HDMI specification is not geared to unifying internal and external display connections; its primary focus is consumer electronics.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually displayport is geared toward all displays including plasma,lcd etc but is meant to interconnect them from outside as well as inside on the individual basis. HDMi is only limited to tv sets and is proprietary so manufacturers will be moving to displayport soon. Read more here http://www.vesa.org/

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I really hope the non-PC video industry doesn't get roped into this garbage. We've already had too quick a movement in video interconnect standards from non-HDCP to HDCP. There will be quite a few folks left out in the cold once HD-DVD and Blu-Ray hit the streets as it is. Moving to yet another standard that no sets have yet is an even worse idea. The format war is bad enough, let's not compound things any further.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Replace DVI and HDMI in what space? As far as I know, HDMI is not in use in computer display equipment and it would make an excellent replacement for bulky DVI connectors.

There's no way that the A/V industry is going to veer from HDMI any time soon. There was far too much political haggling in the composition of the Digital Cable Ready equipment standard, and it's going to stay what it is for the forseeable. Leased digital cable STBs are now required by law to have DVI-or-HDMI/HDCP connections on them. It literally took years for the consumer electronics and cable service industries to come to the agreement which got that codified into FCC regs.

I can see where, if DisplayPort were to become the defacto standard for PCs, many television manufacturers might include one on their products as a convenience feature.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Depends on the licensing fees. Look how many top-tier companies tried to get by with DVI without HDCP.

But saying HDMI is proprietary (from earlier in the thread) and that is why it will go away is FUD. Ever heard of the PS3?

BTW, I don't have the info for a link, but I thought HDMI required HDCP (not optional as the table above says).

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott
I can see where, if DisplayPort were to become the defacto standard for PCs, many television manufacturers might include one on their products as a convenience feature.

·
Registered
860 Posts
FOR THE LOVE! NO MORE INTERFACE CHANGES!

I remember the good old days when an A/V receiver was usefully for both A and V. That was because the standards had been the same for about 10 years. Now it seems that every two years there is a new video interface and there is no way to keep up without spending hand over fist cash for new stuff. I'm sure that A/V receivers that feature HDMI at a reasonable price will appear just in time to be outdated:(

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
From the OP's original link, if this is what you are asking:

Quote:
DPCP (DisplayPort Content Protection)

DPCP provides AES type high speed 128-bit content encryption with secure modern ciphers. It also features full authentication and session key establishment (each encryption session is independent). There is an independent revocation system that can defeat "cloning" attacks and can also work within a standard SRM-based system. DPCP has standard license features including robustness rules and compliance rules.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor
Anyone know anything about Philips' content protection and if it uses revokable keys like HDCP?
My guess is it's similar to blu ray's AACS copy protection and Rom mark that was also developed by Philips

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdega79
Actually displayport is geared toward all displays including plasma,lcd etc but is meant to interconnect them from outside as well as inside on the individual basis. HDMi is only limited to tv sets and is proprietary so manufacturers will be moving to displayport soon. Read more here http://www.vesa.org/
Erdega I don't know why you are so worried that HDMI may be replaced. Trust me when I say that DisplayPort will at best be a computer connection and more likely will simply fail. It is not backward compatible with any other connection and currently none of the CE companies support it. Erdega, as for that proprietary idea it is wrong since HDMI is actually an open standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.