AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newegg today has SAPPHIRE 100293DP Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Was: $79.99. Now: $69.99 with free Shipping

$20 off w/ promo code VGADEC003, ends 12/3

LINK

I want to replace the old HD 4550 of my HTPC by this card which has a DisplayPort and DVI port (not HDMI).

Most of my movies are BR and BR rip. Any body can confirm HD audio can be passed thru DisplayPort or DVI port with a HDMI adapter to my Onkyo receiver? Thanks for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ATI has their own special DVI/HDMI adapter that either uses unused DVI pins or shares pins to pass HD audio. You must use this adapter if you want HD audio as a typical DVI/HDMI adapter does not have the same setup.

As for DisplayPort I do not believe it can pass audio. But I have very little knowledge of that connector and it's capabilities.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee /forum/post/19582206

I want to replace the old HD 4550 of my HTPC by this card which has a DisplayPort and DVI port (not HDMI).

Most of my movies are BR and BR rip. Any body can confirm HD audio can be passed thru DisplayPort or DVI port with a HDMI adapter to my Onkyo receiver? Thanks for your prompt reply.

Well, the ATI adapter will end up costing you at least $10-$15, unless you can get Sapphire to send you one for free.

So adding on the cost of the adapter to the cost of the card and I would say its not worth it.

Just get a card with HDMI out.

Just last week Newegg had a fantastic deal on a 5550 for $10.

Come close to Christmas time and something like that will come up again; if not for $10, then for $25.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know Mini DisplayPort can do audio...so I assume so can DisplayPort. They just don't have PAP, to my knowledge, so HD audio is a no go for them. And I have no idea what the max channels they can transport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.