AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this thing had a Geaforce 3 type graphics card running it.. I rented unreal Championship and the textures are so low res compared to the PC version and the polygon count is way lower then the PC version yet my geaforce 3 on my PC will run the game at 1024x768 and it looks 10 times better and xbox can't even do it at 480p. The same things goes for Splinter cell... less impressive looking then the PC version.. why is this?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Xbox Unreal is in a widescreen 480p title and looks beautiful on my HLN507W. Do you have have the HDTV cables for Xbox?

And why would you expect an Xbox 480x720 signal to look better than a 768x1024 signal from a PC?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Simple Math. More Pixels(Same Material) = Sharper graphics.

I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed with XBOX Splinter Cell graphics before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you go drop $29.99 and buy the HD gaming adaptor for the XBOX? It has component video and optical audio on it, you'll know if you got it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes I have the HD pack yes I have a pioneer HDTV. Do you guys have the PC versions of these games? The graphics on the PC are much better. The textures and polygons are much lower on the xbox then on the PC and this is even at 480p. I guess I wonder why it cant do 720p at the same detail level that my PC can do because it is supposed to have similar graphics capabilities.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
hmmmm... 64mb or RAM, 733mhz proc, 10 GB HD. It think it does pretty damn good with these specs.

What's in your PC that makes it look soooo much better?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Savageone79&GamerHD--

You guys must be PC gamers trying out the xbox because of the hype. I agree with you guys, I played Splinter Cell on my projector with FSAA turned on and anistrophic filtering off my computer instead of xbox and I can't imagine any console even in the same category as that (I think it's the 1368x768 rez versus 720x480 widescreen pixels). But that's the nature of console gaming. It's just not going to match the quality of a PC hooked up to your display (if you can get the PC to kick out a resolution supported by your display).

But I must say, Amped 2 with the snow-skate in 720p is going to be hard to beat by any PC. :)

|..frizzo..|

(this response is not an attempt to rekindle the whole xbox versus PC debate)

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I bought UC for the XBOX it ran like crap. I'm not sure why this was the case. Maybe bad optimizing of the code? Don't give up on XBOX yet Savageone, the majority of games run smooth.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's pretty clear when you play UC that the developers didn't do a stellar job on the XBox version.

As far as the hardware itself, you get what you pay for. The XBox is just not the god-like machine many people make it out to be. Not to say it's not great for the price; just not "the best gaming system ever" as some of my friends like to proclaim.

Shawn

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shawn... Do your friends usually proclaim the xbox to be "the best gaming system ever" or the best console gaming system ever. Although I could make a case for both depending on the criteria for best gaming system, the best console gaming system would be an easier sell.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sonyxbr,

Damn. I knew someone would pick up on that :)

One specifically calls it the best system; the other two the best console. I combined them into "best system" since they don't have gaming PC's. It was my one chance to take a poke at the XBox. Oh well, it was short-lived. (Note, I don't only have three friends...). At this point, I'd like to quote dschroll:

"NINTENDO RULES!!!! "

Thank you.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Can anyone argue that when considering graphical capabilities and system capabilities, that xbox is not the best console ever ? I believe xbox is the best console ever. I would hope it is. it is the newest one. I would hope PS3 is the best console ever, and after that that Xbox 2 is the greatest console ever, and so forth. I really don't think a case can be made for gamecube as greatest console ever. It's definitely a good console, but I don't think it stacks up well against the xbox. I do think it is on the same level as ps2. Xbox has a lot of things going for it like HDTV, almost all games 480p, DD 5.1 in almost every game, and built in HDD for saving games (no need for a memory card), and a built in NIC card. If you taking modding into consideration, the xbox becomes a very versatile machine. I do think xbox does have the ugliest case out of any of the systems, and that green is getting annoying. These are just my opinions though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shawn.. Both you and Dschroll are so funny. It is almost almost always obvious which threads I will find you in and what your take on the topic will be. :p I have a question. Why do you want to take pokes at xbox? In my house we have both a GC and an xbox. My 9 year old plays GB and my 12 year old and I play on the xbox. They both have their place. As for Nintendo Rules, they better start ruling soon because dropping the price to $99 is good for those buying now but not necessarily good for Nintendo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I put gasoline in my lawnmower it drives slower than when I put gasoline in my BMW......WHY?!?!?!?!? It's the same gasoline!!

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spelosi
Can anyone argue that when considering graphical capabilities and system capabilities, that xbox is not the best console ever ? I believe xbox is the best console ever. I would hope it is. it is the newest one. I would hope PS3 is the best console ever, and after that that Xbox 2 is the greatest console ever, and so forth. I really don't think a case can be made for gamecube as greatest console ever. It's definitely a good console, but I don't think it stacks up well against the xbox. I do think it is on the same level as ps2. Xbox has a lot of things going for it like HDTV, almost all games 480p, DD 5.1 in almost every game, and built in HDD for saving games (no need for a memory card), and a built in NIC card. If you taking modding into consideration, the xbox becomes a very versatile machine. I do think xbox does have the ugliest case out of any of the systems, and that green is getting annoying. These are just my opinions though.
See, the big thing you're forgetting is the GAMES. I tend to rank a system based on the games it has and not on the hardware specs. For me and my tastes, I tend to enjoy the games offered on GC the most, PS2 second, and XBOX third. Graphics and sound are all nice things to have, but if I don't like the game I'm playing I doubt I'll even care about the graphics and sound it has because I'll shut it off.

Many people tend to rate the Super Nintendo as the best console of all time. The reason being is because of the games it offered. XBOX is definitely the most POWERFUL of the next gen consoles, but I would hardly consider the "best console ever".

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
dscroll,

It is obvious that you are a nintendo fan-boy. I am not forgetting about the games. The problem is that I remember the games. Mario Sunshine? Sorry, but I just turned 11 (as I mentioned in another post), and these games no longer interest me (I grew tired of playing with a water-gun). Metroid Prime? It is in no way better than Halo. Animal Crossing? I think I would have to want to die to play that game. These are just my opinions, but I will try to push them off as fact like the nintendo fan-boys do. Where did you hear SNES was the best system ever? At the last nintendo fan-club meeting? Nintendo has a history of butchering great titles (final fight?). I much preferred genesis and tg-16/pc-engine and Neo Geo in the 16 bit days. Neo Geo had some of the best games ever IMO, but I wouldn't consider it the greatest console ever. This is way off-topic now. Not every thread has to have the word Nintendo in it. You more or less hi-jacked this thread. This thread was originally about xbox and pc.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Yikes dude....you need to calm down a bit. I know this thread was about XBOX, and technically it still is. It went from being about how XBOX had disappointing graphics to XBOX being the best system ever. I just gave you an OPINION on why I didn't agree with your OPINION. Did you ever hear me pawn off anything as fact? You can call me a Nintendo fanboy, but then I can call you an XBOX fanboy, it's somewhat childish, don't you think? What it comes down to I am a fan of games. Again, for my tastes, I like Nintendo games better. That's just me. I happened to like Metroid Prime better than Halo. If you like XBOX games better, then I completely understand. It's all opinion.

Did I say that SNES was the best system ever??? No. I said most people consider it to be. I've read on forums and in magazines and web pages all about people discussing how the SNES is considered to be the best console ever. Again, it's completely people's opinions. I think the reason it gets a lot of consideration is because videogames were fairly young then and there was a lot of innovation back in those days. Nowadays videogames are definitely great and stuff, but most of it has been done before, so it's becoming increasingly difficult to innovate. If you think XBOX is still the best system ever, then that's totally cool. Nevertheless, these are all just opinions.

Sorry if I spoiled your "XBOX is the greatest system ever" party. It just seemed like your arguments for it being the best console ever were a little off base as you seemed more obsessed with specs than with games. My point was that the games should be the main argument why one console is elevated above the rest.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.