AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting the 65 inch Mitsubishi pretty soon and wanted to verify some info I found here earlier. Some owners claimed that a 10 feet viewing distance was exceptable for that screen size. Is that really the case? I am going to have 10-12 feet max to toy with and I don't want the screen to be too big - the guy finishing my basement thought 65 would be too big. However, the way my stairs are configured I really need to get the 65 for the two piece feature on the Mits. If I have to go smaller, I'm going to have to go MUCH smaller to get the TV down the stairs. And I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for the input.

BZ

·
Registered
164 Posts
If your watching HD material 10 - 12 ft. will be great, but for VHS and analog cable thats a little too close. With DVD and DSS you really should view at the store and make your own decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a 64" and am sitting about 10" away from it. I have some Very good analog cable stations and they are very watchable. DVD of course, looks great. I am very happy with the size and glad that I didn't get something smaller.

I won't watch anything in 4:3 mode so I use one of the expansion modes to fill the screen. That really enlarges the video of standard TV. Naturally all faults are amplified also. That had been expected so, before I got my SD-643, I went RS and bought a crimper and stripper and a bunch of F connectors. I had a lot RG-6 cable left over from a cable guy's troubleshooting. I replaced any old cable. I also reworked the splitters and was able to remove a couple. I didn't see very much of a difference with the smaller sets but I'm sure it paid off when I got the big one.

I watched 'The Rookie' on Fox this afternoon and it looked close to DVD. Cable being Cable, some stations are lousy but they would still be lousy on a 43" set. Some are in between and do look better on a smaller set.

I hope this helps.

Dick

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've got a 65" Mits for the same reason you're looking at - it breaks into 2 pieces. I had the same situation with my stairs.

I agree with Jamie571.M y room is about 18' long, so figure I'm about 15' from the TV. DVD's and HD look great, video games look great, but analog cable is so-so at best - some channels are better than others. Is it bad enough that I would step down to a smaller TV? Not on your life.

To see if it's "too big", go to your store, plop a chair about 10-12' from the set and watch for a while. That'll tell you if it's too big.

When we have lots of people over for movies, I usually get one of the floor seats - and then I'm closer than 10' away. Is it too big for me? Nope. ;)

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
BZ,

I generally recommend a 15' viewing distance (like MrSquid) for a set in the 65" (diagonal 16:9) range to my customers. Like the other replies stated, it's best to just grab a chair, put it at the appropriate distance and then sit and watch a variety of different sources. There really isn't any formula that works perfectly because of the various qualities that the built in processors have. Also, the closer you get to a larger screen, the narrower the range of optimum light output becomes.

Rob

·
Registered
169 Posts
for what it's worth i have a 57" and sit about 8-10' from mine when on the coach.. i've had it about 8 months. if anything i wish my set was bigger and i'd have gotten a 65".. i bet you'll find the 65" ideal

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
15' sounds about right for NTSC signals. However, that distance lowers with 480p and even more with 1080i. I sit 11' away from a Mits 65". I used to have a 56" Panasonic and I have never regretted moving up in size. I do notice more artifacts on NTSC signals but I'm willing to live with that for the increased impact with 480p/1080i.

Go for the 65", you won't regret it (plus the 65 breaks into 2 pieces for easier delivery into your basement). At 56", you will regret not going larger at times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.