AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just wondering, in terms of screen size to sitting distance, what is the recommendation? Or is there a standard or something?/

Thanks

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
There are guidelines, but ultimately it comes down to preference - hang a sheet for a temporary screen, and project onto it to decide what size you like, before ordering your screen.

I'm 12' from a 136" wide 2.125:1 aspect ratio screen, so I'm on the "I like immersive" end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was looking at about 106" from about 15-16 feet away. That should be good enough. Cant fit a bigger screen.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That will be fine. The old rule was twice screen width, then we got HD and it came down to 1.5 screen width. I sit at almost 3 times screen width, and while it isn't as immersive, I think how much better the 80" wide screen is than a 40" LCD would be (I can only fit an 80" screen by using a pull-up model , and a 40" would be the max permanent TV I would be able to put in the living room without blocking dining room entry.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love this site: Plug in the distance you are away from the screen and it will give you min and recommended screen size. This is based on a theater experience! This has been very helpful. If you are only 10 feet away from the screen like my room....you don't want a 120 inch screen...it would be ridiculous like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. For my room it said it recommended an 89" diagonal (Min 73") and I'm at 84"! It looks great in my room!

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex  /t/1419377/distance-from-seating-to-screen-size#post_22201771

Thanks guys. I was looking at about 106" from about 15-16 feet away. That should be good enough. Cant fit a bigger screen.

If that's the biggest you can go...it's a no brainer. I would try to arrange my seating closer. Using the site I posted they reccomend no further away that 13.9 feet away for a true theatre xperience. I'm sure it will be fine!! But arrangements of seating could help!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. And thanks for that site. Comes in hamdy. I may try to rearrange things.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
One additional data point - if you get a screen that's too big, you can move seating back, or adjust zoom and mask it down; if you get a screen that's too small, you can move seating closer, or buy a new screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts