AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Samsung HLN617W. What is the distance I should be viewing from? I haven't recievered the TV yet and I want to set the rest of the room up. Is the any ratio I should be factoring in or rule of thumb?

Thanks,

-Rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
From what I've read in the forum it is largely personal preference. I think you will want to be about 10' - 12'. I thought I read 2 to 2.5 times the diagonal screen measurement. Anyway that is the size I'm considering and my sofa will be 12-15' back.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There is a recent "poll" on this - do a search and you'll see what ratios current DLP are actually using.

Ken

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a 55" viewing from about 9.5-11' depending on where I'm sitting in my living room. I just upgraded to a 65" cause it just doesn't look big enough.

I made the measurements for my new TV and know how big the new TV will be in comparison to what I'm looking at now. The new set is going to be 62" tall and my current set is 50.5" tall. The width on my old set is 50.5" and the new one is 58". That's a huge difference, 12" taller and 8" wider.

I can say that I know that this TV will give a real "cinematic" type expereince in my own home, but I can also guess that it may be a touch too big. Since I really don't like going to theaters and have invested SOOO much into my home theater, I'm happy to enjoy that cinematic experience at home with a huge screen than having to worry about a cell phone ringing, or popcorn eaters chomping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.