AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at various SW and one issue may be the rear port designs. Where it would go currently would have the rear port against a wall. In general for say a 12" SW, what distance is needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm looking at various SW and one issue may be the rear port designs. Where it would go currently would have the rear port against a wall. In general for say a 12" SW, what distance is needed?

Thanks
2 ft. from any wall would probably be sufficient. What subwoofers are you looking at?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Do you have a sw currently? When you receive yours, you'll want to do the "subwoofer crawl" to identify the best position, unless WAF or other issues are mandating a single, restricted location for the sub.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minimum 6 in. Ideal 2 ft.
2 ft. from any wall would probably be sufficient. What subwoofers are you looking at?
2' would not work. I could possibly move it to a corner if I had to. I'm looking at several models. Rear port seems to be just a bad idea. Front or bottom port doesnt have such a location issue.

Do you have a sw currently? When you receive yours, you'll want to do the "subwoofer crawl" to identify the best position, unless WAF or other issues are mandating a single, restricted location for the sub.
Yes. Current sun is down firing driver and port. Thanks but not sure that would work for me. I have the spot I want it to go. If a crawl put it in the middle of the room or a place where a power outlet or cabling was an issue it wouldn't help.

I think I'll stick to sealed or front/bottom ported.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
You don't want the port against the wall. The general rule of thumb I've always heard is you need at least the diameter of the port itself. Example being a 4" port should be at least 4" from the wall. I always allow an inch or so more if possible. Again, port against the wall isn't something you want to do.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
2' would not work. I could possibly move it to a corner if I had to. I'm looking at several models. Rear port seems to be just a bad idea. Front or bottom port doesnt have such a location issue.

Yes. Current sun is down firing driver and port. Thanks but not sure that would work for me. I have the spot I want it to go. If a crawl put it in the middle of the room or a place where a power outlet or cabling was an issue it wouldn't help.

I think I'll stick to sealed or front/bottom ported.
I think you should start by giving us a budget so we can recommend subs, and what subs you are currently looking at.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. 4-6" or port size is a huge difference from 2'. I could work with that.
Some more info. My 5.1 HT setup is
Samsung F8500 60" Plasma
Sony STR-DN-1050
Klipsch RP 280 LR
Klipsch RC 62ii center
Klipsch RB51ii surrounds
MTX SW2

Everything is new except the sub is from the old setup and is about 8 years old. Its a 12" down firing with dual down firing ports. I got in on clearance for like $100 when circuit city went under. It has worked without issue, but it would be nice to also upgrade it. I like my setup very "tidY". I cant stand seeing any wiring, clutter. A visible power cord for a SW on the floor would drive me crazy. As you can see in the pic, the SW sits to the left of that main speaker. It also serves another function there. It just so happens it is exactly tall enough @ 17.5" to hide a couple panels behind it that have cable. network and rear speaker terminals. The corner to the right of the right speaker is reserved for our dog. She would not appreciate a SW put on that side! The pic got cut off but to the left of where the SW is now is a corner that could easily be used. I could use something else to hide the panels and wires.

Part of the bargain for the HT upgrade is the Mrs is getting new HW flooring in a couple rooms, hallway and stairs next week. We also just put new tires on one of the cars. $ has been really going out the door lately! I'm trying to get the best bang for the $ on the SW upgrade.

Here is what I have been looking at so far, but am open to suggestions:

Budget:
Klipsch sub-12HG. Goes between $229 and $299 if/when frys has it on sale/available and Amazon matches the price. Price changes The $229 seems to be a real bargain. Down firing with rear port. Darn thing was $229 this moring now its back to $299 :mad:
BIC PL-200. Generally gets good reviews. Front firing rear port. ~$330
??

Mid
Klipsch SW-112. I like that it has a front firing slot type port. $430 Kind of pricy I think.
??
??

High
SVS PB-2000. The Best. Flat freq resp. Front driver and port. Cons are price, size and I dont like the curved metal grill. This one I would definately put in that left corner.
??
??

Open to other suggestions. Looked at DIY. Not totally against it, but dont think I'm going that direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
How are you liking those RP from Klipsch? Have you been able to compare them to older Klipsch lines?

If the size and price is a concern for the PB2000, try the SB2000. Nothing wrong with going sealed.
Also, take a look at the Outlaw Ultra X-12. Quite a fantastic sub for the price. I had it's younger, less powerful brother, the LFM-1 Plus. Great sub.
I like the Outlaw because it's not a vinyl black oak wrap. Its solid black with a glass top.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the RP 280 speakers. Didnt get to compare side by side with RF 82 but I have heard Klipsch before and did find them a tad bright. The RP are toned down some and sound very nice. I did not like the RP 450C center they had to go with them. (4) 5.25" drivers in a huge rear ported enclosure. I went with the RC 62II from last year with the (2) 6.5" drivers, front porting and a much more reasonable footprint and quite a bit less $$ too.

i'll check out Outlaw. There are so many ID companies out there selling this stuff its pretty hard to tell what is what.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The Klipsch sub-12 is actually $199 right now at frys.com if you have their emailed coupon code. Sign up for their codes and they email you savings codes all the time. The sub-12 is the best sub I've ever heard/owned for less than $200.

The SVS PB-2000 I also owned and liked a lot. The metal grille is actually pretty bad ass, IMO. Really adds a high quality look to the sub as opposed to a cheap cloth grille. Performance wise it's a great sub and will extend much lower than the sub-12. SVS has the full 5 year warranty and free trial period of 45 days. Just depends on what you want out of your sub and what you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Klipsch sub-12 is actually $199 right now at frys.com if you have their emailed coupon code. Sign up for their codes and they email you savings codes all the time. The sub-12 is the best sub I've ever heard/owned for less than $200.

The SVS PB-2000 I also owned and liked a lot. The metal grille is actually pretty bad ass, IMO. Really adds a high quality look to the sub as opposed to a cheap cloth grille. Performance wise it's a great sub and will extend much lower than the sub-12. SVS has the full 5 year warranty and free trial period of 45 days. Just depends on what you want out of your sub and what you are willing to spend.
The Frys/Amazon thing drives me crazy. I dont have access to Frys B&M stores. Basically Amazon matches Frys price. If frys is $229, so is Amazon. The price was at $229 and $299 last week. This morning Frys has it for $229 with free shipping so Amazon was same. Now its $229 store pickup only so Amazon is back to $299.

Any thought on the Sub-12 Vs the PL-200? The PB-2000 is still in the running.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Yeah, as soon as an item on sale at frys.com goes out of stock online, then Amazon will usually drop their price match. One other sub you might consider in this price range is the NXG NX-BAS-500.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks. 4-6" or port size is a huge difference from 2'. I could work with that.
Some more info. My 5.1 HT setup is
Samsung F8500 60" Plasma
Sony STR-DN-1050
Klipsch RP 280 LR
Klipsch RC 62ii center
Klipsch RB51ii surrounds
MTX SW2

Everything is new except the sub is from the old setup and is about 8 years old. Its a 12" down firing with dual down firing ports. I got in on clearance for like $100 when circuit city went under. It has worked without issue, but it would be nice to also upgrade it. I like my setup very "tidY". I cant stand seeing any wiring, clutter. A visible power cord for a SW on the floor would drive me crazy. As you can see in the pic, the SW sits to the left of that main speaker. It also serves another function there. It just so happens it is exactly tall enough @ 17.5" to hide a couple panels behind it that have cable. network and rear speaker terminals. The corner to the right of the right speaker is reserved for our dog. She would not appreciate a SW put on that side! The pic got cut off but to the left of where the SW is now is a corner that could easily be used. I could use something else to hide the panels and wires.

Part of the bargain for the HT upgrade is the Mrs is getting new HW flooring in a couple rooms, hallway and stairs next week. We also just put new tires on one of the cars. $ has been really going out the door lately! I'm trying to get the best bang for the $ on the SW upgrade.

Here is what I have been looking at so far, but am open to suggestions:

Budget:
Klipsch sub-12HG. Goes between $229 and $299 if/when frys has it on sale/available and Amazon matches the price. Price changes The $229 seems to be a real bargain. Down firing with rear port. Darn thing was $229 this moring now its back to $299 :mad:
BIC PL-200. Generally gets good reviews. Front firing rear port. ~$330
??

Mid
Klipsch SW-112. I like that it has a front firing slot type port. $430 Kind of pricy I think.
??
??

High
SVS PB-2000. The Best. Flat freq resp. Front driver and port. Cons are price, size and I dont like the curved metal grill. This one I would definately put in that left corner.
??
??

Open to other suggestions. Looked at DIY. Not totally against it, but dont think I'm going that direction.

Don't forget the sealed SVS subs:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The Frys/Amazon thing drives me crazy. I dont have access to Frys B&M stores. Basically Amazon matches Frys price. If frys is $229, so is Amazon. The price was at $229 and $299 last week. This morning Frys has it for $229 with free shipping so Amazon was same. Now its $229 store pickup only so Amazon is back to $299.

Any thought on the Sub-12 Vs the PL-200? The PB-2000 is still in the running.
If the PB-2000 is a contender, and you have the budget for it, it's a no brainer. It will outclass any Polk, Klipsch, or Best Buy sub.

I also believe the SB-2000 will also do the same.

Do you listen to HT or music more? If you think the size of the PB-2000 is too large, scratch it off your list. But SVS pays shipping both ways, so their is no harm in ordering one. And I think you will get a laugh at the comparison between the $200 Best Buy subs you are looking at and the SVS PB-2000. If your used to small Klipsch/BIC or Best Buy subs, then you will be blown away by an ID company sub - even if it is the SB-2000

**My honest advice if I were you, is to grab the Outlaw Ultra X-12 AND the SB-2000, test them both 1 at a time over and over until you find a winner and send the loser packing. You will have the satisfaction of knowing you picked the better sub for the money and won't be 2nd guessing yourself. If you decide the Outlaw is the winner, then you can send the SVS sub back without loosing a single penny and gaining a lot of knowledge.**

It a nutshell, the SB-2000 my be described as tactile and musical, while the Outlaw is flexible with it's options (max extension, and max output modes), and will have greater output at the low end due to the dual ports. If you can accommodate the size of the PB-2000, I would get that instead of the SB-2000. The finish and cabinet of the Outlaw easily gets an edge IMO.

I actually have owned/own both products from each company - SVS and Outlaw. Both are fantastic! To save even more money, I would look at B-Stock options as well. Most of the time the damage is very minor, if any at all, and comes with a full warranty. Since SVS pays shipping both ways, they have MANY open box subs that get a simple $50 discount and no damage. Keep on exploring!

HSU is another great company I would easily recommend. They are currently at the top for the bang for buck ratio. I would easily say get the VTF-3 MK5 HP sub (http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html) but the price tag is $799 plus shipping (totaling just under $900).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the great info. Some more info. The family room is about 2800 cu ft with a 10' ceiling. The family room is open to the kitchen which is similar in size with 9' ceilings. Not sure how that works with the total space. My old speaker setup was Paradigm Studio 40s. They never were able to really fill the space with sound. The Klipsch do a much better job.

For me, music is more important than movies. I'm not a total "bass head" where I need (or want) window rattling levels. For music, yes, nice clean tight bass. For movies, yeah the rumble/thunderous bass and all that is cool, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick the one better for music. Ideally, I would find something I loved for both.

Here is my current thought. The SVS try and return policy seems to be the best out there. I could get an SB2000 and PB2000 and try them out and send back the one I dont want. I looked at the other two and it looks like I would have to pay shipping one way.
Its interesting that the SB2000 is a fair bit smaller than the existing sub, and the PB2000 is quite a bit larger. The SB2000 could go where the current sub sits, or move it over to the corner. The PB2000 I would definitely need to move to that corner. If the SB2000 is the one for me, it would win me some WAF points. :) If I just went and got the SB2000, I would always be wondering if the PB2000 would have been better.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the great info. Some more info. The family room is about 2800 cu ft with a 10' ceiling. The family room is open to the kitchen which is similar in size with 9' ceilings. Not sure how that works with the total space. My old speaker setup was Paradigm Studio 40s. They never were able to really fill the space with sound. The Klipsch do a much better job.

For me, music is more important than movies. I'm not a total "bass head" where I need (or want) window rattling levels. For music, yes, nice clean tight bass. For movies, yeah the rumble/thunderous bass and all that is cool, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick the one better for music. Ideally, I would find something I loved for both.

Here is my current thought. The SVS try and return policy seems to be the best out there. I could get an SB2000 and PB2000 and try them out and send back the one I dont want. I looked at the other two and it looks like I would have to pay shipping one way.
Its interesting that the SB2000 is a fair bit smaller than the existing sub, and the PB2000 is quite a bit larger. The SB2000 could go where the current sub sits, or move it over to the corner. The PB2000 I would definitely need to move to that corner. If the SB2000 is the one for me, it would win me some WAF points. :) If I just went and got the SB2000, I would always be wondering if the PB2000 would have been better.
I wouldn't recommend the SB2000 in an area your size. Sounds like you could have around 5000 ft^3. A single PB2000 will likely struggle. I would get dual PB2000's if you wanted to go the SVS route, but that might not be an option for you....or your wife. lol

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I was waiting on someone telling me I need a huge multi SW setup. Dual PB2000s wont happen. What I have now doesn't even work all that bad. I would think an upgrade to a single PB2000 would be a huge step up.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts