AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question, when the speaker manual recommends a minimum distance from the front wall of room, is that distance from the back side of the floorstanding speaker to the room front wall or from the front baffle where the drivers are? since my floorstanding speaker has a depth of 13 inches (more than a feet), so the minimum distance recommendation from the room front wall should be measured from the back or front (drivers) of the speaker?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Have a question, when the speaker manual recommends a minimum distance from the front wall of room, is that distance from the back side of the floorstanding speaker to the room front wall or from the front baffle where the drivers are? since my floorstanding speaker has a depth of 13 inches (more than a feet), so the minimum distance recommendation from the room front wall should be measured from the back or front (drivers) of the speaker?
From the back of the speaker makes sense, especially if the speaker has rear ports.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
...forgot to ask what is the make and model number?

·
Banned
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it has a bass reflex port on the back and 4 drivers on front. monitor audio gold 300. if it's to be measured from back, i'd fall short of the recommended minimum distance for this speaker. if I measure from the woofers on the front, I'm within the recommended distance. i'll have to use the supplied port bungs to stick into the rear port if I notice distortion or boom in the low frequency. Cannot move the speakers further in from front wall as it's a mid sized room and doesn't allow for more space.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
The owners manual states "start at a minimum of 10" from wall" and you can go up to 36".
So start at 10" and play one of your reference recordings...a high quality recording. Make observations, move speakers, and play the same recording again. Listen for clean bass each time you move them.
Great speakers!!

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
Those are recommended distances running full range with no sub for music.

If you are using them mostly for movies in 5.1 with an 80hz or so crossover minimum distances shrink considerably.

If you using them for movies it is easy enough for you to test the "port effect" by placing your hand behind the port to feel the air.

You will notice in stereo full range with no sub playing at medium high volumes significant air movement but virtually none in 5.1.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Distance to the back wall is all about mid-bass frequency response. The closer to the wall, the more the mid-bass is reinforced, making male voices sound thick and unnatural (among other things). So, set up the system as you would normally use it. If crossing over at 80, then do so, and adjust the distance to the back wall for even mid-bass response. If it sounds thin, move it closer to the wall. Thick, move it out.

As long as you are playing with speaker position, once you have the distance to the wall dialed in, experiment with speaker width to find the best imaging (coherent sound, instruments and voices have a specific position in the presentation). Once you have that accomplished, then experiment with toe-in, to sharpen the image and provide even coverage of the listening area.

If you have any furniture between or to the side of the speakers, the sound will benefit greatly if the front of the speaker is forward of that furniture, reducing early reflection points.

You won't dial it all in on day 1. It may take you a few weeks or months of making occasional subtle changes to the position of the speakers to get the most you can get from them. It will be worth the effort, as position gives you characteristics that cannot be obtained by running Audyssey, or any other room tuning program on your receiver.

·
Registered
19,343 Posts
Distance to the back wall is all about mid-bass frequency response. The closer to the wall, the more the mid-bass is reinforced, making male voices sound thick and unnatural (among other things). So, set up the system as you would normally use it. If crossing over at 80, then do so, and adjust the distance to the back wall for even mid-bass response. If it sounds thin, move it closer to the wall. Thick, move it out.
Good advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts