AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 12 feet to the area where my screen will go. What is the biggest size screen I should put there? I currently have a 80 inch diagonal screen....is this to much or is this ok? I just set this up yesterday...I hope it will work out!

·
Registered
628 Posts
80" 16:9 or 4:3?

My screen is a 92" diag 16:9. My first row is at 12.5' (measured to where your head actually is) and my second row is at around 15 or 16. I havent locked down the second row exactly yet.

I personally enjoy the movie from either seat. My wife thinks the first row is too close, and my friends are split on the seating preference. Most of the women like to sit in the back row. Most, but not all guys like either with some preferring the back row.

If your using an 80" diag 4:3 screen Im sure you would be alright.

What pj type and resolution?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The projector was given to me to help me start my new theater. Its an older one, nec mt 820 750 lumens 4:3. I think it is great but I don't know if it was going to hurt my eyes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reaon I asked about the pj and resolution is because the distance from the screen is also dependent on the resolution. If you have a low rez pj you need to sit farther back than from a high rez pj. This is to allow the pixels to kinda blur together so you dont see the screen door effect.

Not sure about that pj you have. Dont know what the res is.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ok looked it up. Youll be fine.

The screen door is used to describe the effect of viewing a pj when you are close enough to see the spaces between the pixels. Digital pjs like the LCD model you have project an image using square pixels. LCD pjs are known to have a somewhat larger space between pixels than say a DLP or CRT pj. If you sit too close to the screen than you might see an effect that would appear as though you were viewing the image through a screen like the type on your windows and doors at home.

With your PJ you should be ok at that distance and with a screen of that size. Any closer and you might have trouble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, you are right about that screen door effect. If i move closer I see what you mean but where I am now at 12 ft i'm ok. As for my seating distance, I hope it will work out. I was more concerned about my head blowing up or my eyes poping out of my head because I was to close. Is there a chart that tells what the proper seating distance to the screen is according to the diagonal? Does anything else contribute to how close or far you should sit such as brightness?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The general guide line is 1.5 times the width of the screen. It a loose guidline though.

As to the brightness, well you should invest $40 into an AVIA dvd to calibrate the pj. It makes a world of a distance and can be used to calibrate your sound system too. Best $40 youll spend.

After you calibrate the pj then the brightness will be dead on and not an issue. The overall image will be much better as a result of this calibration and youll enjoy the pj more.

Not to worry about your head blowing up. Unless of course its due to watching some of the crap that hollywood has put out over the years.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My current screen has no border. I think my setup looks cool because of the way it is set into the wall. What exacally does the black border do? Is it a preferance thing?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The black border does an important thing. It absosbs the stray light spill around the screen. Just about all Digital PJs have this light spill. Its just inherent in the technology. The black border (flat black) will help reduce this halo and will nicely frame the image.

Also, screen masking as its called, will help you most when you view an image that is smaller than your screen. Screen masking is a little diff than the black border around the screen. Its not static. It adjusts to the format you view whether that adjustment is manual or electric is up to you. For example your 4:3 screen will have unused space when you view a widescreen source like a dvd. You then have alot of white screen area that will reflect that halo of light spill. You end up with an image that doesnt appear to be anchored well and reflected light that will possibly wash out the viewable image by reflecting off walls and back onto the screen.

This is why alot of people (including myself) choose to decorate the room in darker colors. It helps absorb stray light and increases the percieved contrast of the picture.

THere are a couple of ways to incorporate a screen masking system. You can make something yourself and hang it over the unused areas when you change formats or go the pro route and get an electric system. Do a search in the screens area in this forum and youll get alot of info on the topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.