AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned a lesson and thought I would pass it on.

I have a Denon 3806 receiver/amp, inwall 8" 3 way speakers w/SW, a 18' x 15' room with acoustical panels and bass traps. All was well. However I noticed a very odd abbreviated mid tone in my front speakers. In the scene from War of the Worlds when Cruise is walking past his friend Lenny and tells him to try the solenoid switch, while the dialogue and high tones of the back ground sounds and music are coming through fine, the mid to lower tones that are in the background to add suspense and dread are truncated or choppy. And then I started to notice that on other DVD's as well. I looked at the speaker wiring polarity, the accoustics, the Denon Speaker set up and other things as well and couldn't find anything to stop it. Finally I went into the settings again and noticed that my Audio input from the DVD player to the Denon was of course HDMI as was my Video input. I had an Optical cable and hooked it up for the Audio input from the DVD player, made the necessary settings adjustments in the Denon and put in the War of the Worlds video and to the same scene. NO more distortion on it or on other DVD's as well. So I have to believe that the HDMI cable was bad. Because from what I have read HDMI should be as good or better than Optical.

Hopefully this can help someone if needed. Steve

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Handshake issues is what's going on , I always prefer running the audio and video apart from each other but that's just me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lou

Thanks for the feedback. I assume with the term "handshake" you mean some kind of crossover interference between the 2 different cables. That thought had crossed my mind. I guess I shouldn't ditch the cable all together now. Thanks again. Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.