AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie on this board, so bear with me. I want to split my HD Tivo signal and send it to my bedroom without downgrading the quality. I came here to find the product that would let me do it wirelessly and have surmised that those such products have been promised for several years now but are still in their infancy and what's available is very expensive.

So after reading for a couple days I've come to understand that running Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable is my best, perhaps only, solution. It seems I can do it for safely under $200. I'm a renter, so I can't wire through the walls, but there is already a cable line that runs along the path I need so I figure I can run the network cable pretty discreetly; total distance will be a little over 100 ft.

I want to make sure I've got this right, so here are issues I want reassurance on:

1. I would split the HDMI signal coming out of my Tivo using the Monoprice powered 1 x 2 splitter (currently sold out) or something comparable. Monoprice makes more expenisive options, I'm not sure what if any advantages I gain with the higher end units. Am I going to have any HDCP problems with the Monoprice units? This option from ConnectGear is explicitly stated to be HDCP compliant.

2. I'd feed one of the split signals into an HDMI - Cat 5/6 Extender. Here's one possibility , and here's another . Are these good options? Anyone want to recommend alternatives?

3. I'd run Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable along the walls of my apartment. The cable would not run by an A/C units but it would run by other electronics. Total run will be slightly over 100 ft. Do I need Cat 6? Do I need shielded cable?

4. Feed network cable into receiver end and then HDMI into bedroom TV.

5. Add in RF remote extender to control from bedroom. Not being familiar with remote extenders I am wondering if they are reliable. I also wondering if I'll have any complication powering on and off my bedroom TV since both it and the living room TV are Panasonics.

Finally, is there a better solution someone can recommend? Especially without running wires? I had looked into power bridge extenders like the Slinglink and NETGEAR XE102G but my neophyte understanding is they don't have enough bandwidth. By all means, let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/15422478

Newbie on this board, so bear with me. I want to split my HD Tivo signal and send it to my bedroom without downgrading the quality. I came here to find the product that would let me do it wirelessly and have surmised that those such products have been promised for several years now but are still in their infancy and what's available is very expensive.

So after reading for a couple days I've come to understand that running Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable is my best, perhaps only, solution. It seems I can do it for safely under $200. I'm a renter, so I can't wire through the walls, but there is already a cable line that runs along the path I need so I figure I can run the network cable pretty discreetly; total distance will be a little over 100 ft.

I want to make sure I've got this right, so here are issues I want reassurance on:

1. I would split the HDMI signal coming out of my Tivo using the Monoprice powered 1 x 2 splitter (currently sold out) or something comparable. Monoprice makes more expenisive options, I'm not sure what if any advantages I gain with the higher end units. Am I going to have any HDCP problems with the Monoprice units? This option from ConnectGear is explicitly stated to be HDCP compliant.

2. I'd feed one of the split signals into an HDMI - Cat 5/6 Extender. Here's one possibility , and here's another . Are these good options? Anyone want to recommend alternatives?

3. I'd run Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable along the walls of my apartment. The cable would not run by an A/C units but it would run by other electronics. Total run will be slightly over 100 ft. Do I need Cat 6? Do I need shielded cable?

4. Feed network cable into receiver end and then HDMI into bedroom TV.

5. Add in RF remote extender to control from bedroom. Not being familiar with remote extenders I am wondering if they are reliable. I also wondering if I'll have any complication powering on and off my bedroom TV since both it and the living room TV are Panasonics.

Finally, is there a better solution someone can recommend? Especially without running wires? I had looked into power bridge extenders like the Slinglink and NETGEAR XE102G but my neophyte understanding is they don't have enough bandwidth. By all means, let me know if I'm wrong.

1. Are both your HDMI and component outputs on your HD TiVo active at the same time? If so, you should be able to use HDMI for your living room TV and component for your bedroom TV using cat5e/6 baluns to eliminate the need for the HDMI splitter.

5. Only use RF for the TiVo, not the TV's (use IR). That way, you won't be turning on/off the wrong TV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW /forum/post/15422989

1. Are both your HDMI and component outputs on your HD TiVo active at the same time? If so, you should be able to use HDMI for your living room TV and component for your bedroom TV using cat5e/6 baluns to eliminate the need for the HDMI splitter.

5. Only use RF for the TiVo, not the TV's (use IR). That way, you won't be turning on/off the wrong TV.

1. Yes, both outputs are reportedly active at the same time (my Tivo is actually still in the hands of UPS). There are however, inconsistent reports about compatibility. Some users have reported that the component output is only active when the device connected via HDMI is turned on. So I might be walking into a new series of headaches by going this route.

But, assuming for the moment that both outputs will work just fine together, is component to cat5/6 just as easy as hdmi to cat5/6? I had taken a cursory look at this and gleamed that the video is easy enough but the audio gets complicated.

5. So I take it then that RF Extenders don't just pick up and transmit any IR signal that's in the room, instead they must be programmed to work with specific devices. Right?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/15424685

1. Yes, both outputs are reportedly active at the same time (my Tivo is actually still in the hands of UPS). There are however, inconsistent reports about compatibility. Some users have reported that the component output is only active when the device connected via HDMI is turned on. So I might be walking into a new series of headaches by going this route.

But, assuming for the moment that both outputs will work just fine together, is component to cat5/6 just as easy as hdmi to cat5/6? I had taken a cursory look at this and gleamed that the video is easy enough but the audio gets complicated.

5. So I take it then that RF Extenders don't just pick up and transmit any IR signal that's in the room, instead they must be programmed to work with specific devices. Right?

1. I don't have any experience with hdmi baluns or extenders, but I would guess that component would be just as easy or easier than hdmi due to not having to worry about handshaking issues. I have used component baluns in the past and am currently using an AVAtrix for component distribution and both work very well for both video and audio.

5. The best would be if your HD TiVo was natively RF controllable (assuming your Panasonics work only with IR) then you would not need extenders. If your HD TiVo is only IR controllable, then you would need an RF extender. With an RF extender, you should be able to attach an emitter to the HD TiVO and shield it so that only the HD TiVo receives IR any signals from the bedroom. Several years ago I had a powermid transmitter/receiver that worked well. http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/8210.pdf In your case, you would need to hook up the optional IR emitter to the IR window of your TiVo and shield it from your panasonic so that no IR signals would get to your TV. You would also need to make sure the blaster from the IR transmitter pyramid did not point at your TV.

You could also use something like this http://www.audioauthority.com/produc...1/Extender/5/1 that would carry the IR signal to the TV over your cat5e lines as well as video and audio.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Can I use an digital audio balun sender in conjunction with a analog audio balun receiver? I ask because there is no digital audio input in the bedroom so if I were to go the component video route the most convenient way to deal with audio is digital out from the Tivo and analog into the bedroom TV. If I can't do that then I have to spit the analog audio output form the Tivo which will create an annoying wiring situation in the living room (although as I understand it, I needn't worry that splitting a line level signal would degrade audio quality) or add a converter in the bedroom which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In other words, if I can't mix digital and analog audio baluns, I might as well stick with the HDMI idea.

Can anyone weigh in on the need for Cat 5 vs. Cat 6 and shielded vs. unshielded cable?

I'm exploring some of the baluns that include IR extenders. Seems that would provide a more elegant solution without adding too much more expense.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Unshielded Cat5e wire should be fine. If you are in Europe, then you might consider shielded because of the different power levels. But in the US, using shielded cable really isn't going to make a difference for EMI interference from power cables.

Now if you live near a radar, airport, TV broadcast tower, etc then shielded can make a difference. For the 99.9% of us that do not, unshielded is fine.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Just to summarize.....

Go with Cat5e or Cat6 UTP (unshielded) cables, and you will need TWO.

If you go with component, use something like the CELabs RX/TX units. They transmit component, analog audio, digital audio and IR over the two Catx cables. Just stick a tabletop IR receiver at your bedroom TV for the Tivo (or any other sources that you have remote) and you don't need to worry about any RF remotes. Use the remote you have now for your TV and program it for the Tivo also. That's what I do with my DVR and works perfect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, I am narrowing this down and getting close, but still not quite there. Just need to find the right set of baluns.

The cable is going to be run around baseboards and such, right next to a coax for cable. Discreteness is a high priority so limiting to just one Cat 5 would be valuable. Not a deal breaker, but not insignificant.

I have seen component video/digital audio that work over a sing cat 5. Haven't seen component video/analog audio or hdmi that use only one cat 5.

Certainly seems that life would be easier with a balun system that integrates IR (even if it means two Cat 5's) so let's focus on those.

Intelix make an HDMI w/ IR balun kit that can be had for about $250. I believe the kit includes the IR transmitter and receiver. I'd need to add in the HDMI splitter, but otherwise I'd be good to go (leaving aside the issue of two Cat 5's).

For component possibilities, I haven't yet seen a product that is just right. The only CE Lab RX/TX products I've seen look like wall plate units. I'm also still wondering if I can combine a digital audio sender balun with an analog audio receiver.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/15437927

Thanks for all the input so far, I am narrowing this down and getting close, but still not quite there. Just need to find the right set of baluns.

The cable is going to be run around baseboards and such, right next to a coax for cable. Discreteness is a high priority so limiting to just one Cat 5 would be valuable. Not a deal breaker, but not insignificant.

I have seen component video/digital audio that work over a sing cat 5. Haven't seen component video/analog audio or hdmi that use only one cat 5.

Certainly seems that life would be easier with a balun system that integrates IR (even if it means two Cat 5's) so let's focus on those.

Intelix make an HDMI w/ IR balun kit that can be had for about $250. I believe the kit includes the IR transmitter and receiver. I'd need to add in the HDMI splitter, but otherwise I'd be good to go (leaving aside the issue of two Cat 5's).

For component possibilities, I haven't yet seen a product that is just right. The only CE Lab RX/TX products I've seen look like wall plate units. I'm also still wondering if I can combine a digital audio sender balun with an analog audio receiver.

If a single cat 5e cable is your most important consideration and you get a balun that does component and digital audio over a single cat 5e cable then you could use something like this to convert the digital audio to analog http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...dGEF00232.html

I have no experience with this type of device so you may want to see if anyone else has used something like that before. If you did that, then you would need some kind of RF system for your remote control. You might try one of those IR-RF extenders you can buy for your remote and put it on your TiVo remote.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEli173 /forum/post/15437927

The CELabs units are not wall plates. Google CELabs Cat5RX and Cat5TX (you need one of each). They can be installed behind the TV, on an AV shelf, practically anywhere.

If you are dead set on one Cat5, there are two makers of a single cat5 component + analog audio solution. NTI and Gefen. BUT, they cost about 3X what the dual Cat5 does. There is not a single Cat5 HDMI solution. Period.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you go with a component + digital audio balun (with 4 rca inputs and 4 rca outputs), why not just use a couple of RCA Y adapters to combine your analog stereo audio at the TiVo end and then split it out again at the TV? Sure, it won't be stereo sound anymore; but tv speakers aren't generally known for their audio quality.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee /forum/post/15444301

If you are dead set on one Cat5, there are two makers of a single cat5 component + analog audio solution. NTI and Gefen. BUT, they cost about 3X what the dual Cat5 does. There is not a single Cat5 HDMI solution. Period.

Are you sure? Isn't that what this is? http://www.emidamerica.com/at-hdmi40srs.html I have no experience with this device, but I found it while looking for a single-CAT5 solution for a friend of mine.

Duane Bender

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I might be able to run an HDMI, so I'm not sure I'll use baluns period. But it's far from certain that I can do that. Either way, I'm now leaning towards handling the IR over RF with the Next Generation product. One reason for this is that it seems I need a 'plasma proof' IR receiver and the cost for that will be high.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbender /forum/post/15558595

Are you sure? Isn't that what this is? http://www.emidamerica.com/at-hdmi40srs.html I have no experience with this device, but I found it while looking for a single-CAT5 solution for a friend of mine.

Duane Bender

Hmmmm....Yes and No. Doesn't support 1.3 and makes no mention of HDCP compliance. Converting 19 conductors to 8, I would be VERY surprised if some shortcuts weren't made and it would be semi-problematic. Still interesting and I'd love to hear from someone whose tried it. Good find.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Want cheap and reliable?

I dunno about your DirecTV but my Dish VIP622 outputs HDMI and component video simultaneously.

I have a "T" line with three Muxlab 500050 component video and digital audio baluns at each end of the T and a cheapo CAT5 3-way splitter joining the T together.

This way i get DD5.1 and 1080i/p from my basement VIP622 and Escient 1200 DVD server (controls 3 Sony carrousels) to my bedroom and living room. I use cheap IR extenders.

Total cost around $200 if you factor in the cost of wire and crimping tools. Cat5 crimping is really easy to learn, but pointing a 3 LNB dish with an $30 Walmart security camera 5" display takes some time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.