AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a network-enabled device which can leverage a library of MP3s currently stored on a PC, give me enough control over selections and playlists (via a nice display mounted in a wall), and output to nearby speakers.

Most of the systems I've seen (such as Yamaha's MusiCast) require a centralized server with CD-burning capabilities and such, but because of my existing home network, I have no need for this nor do I wish to be limited by it. The idea would be that for each room I wish to configure for sound, I simply buy another one of these devices, connect it to the existing CAT5/E cable, hook up a few speakers, and I'm done.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Turtle Beach's Audiotron or some Hacked 3Com Audrey's

I use both in my home

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have a TiVo, check out the Home Media Option. I have 1000 CD's ripped and it's a great music jukebox.

There is a plug in that uses Windows Media Player playlists. I can play by artist, album, genre or defined playlists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at the Turtle Beach Audiotron. ($300) I don't have one, but I'm giving it serious consideration. It's designed to look like a stereo component, so it's reasonably attractive. It also has a remote. You can program different playlists and music sources, so even if you have MP3s on different computers or even NAS, they will all be available to the Audiotron.

It will also play MP3 based Internet radio (Live365, Rhapsody).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There are several devices on the market that will allow you to stream music from a central source. Depending on how many streams you need and the quality you're interested in, you can find individual device like those mentioned or an entire IP based system like the forthcoming DigiLinX system (do a search in this forum on NetStreams).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got the TB Audiotron, and it does work very well from a setup and audio perspective. It would be MUCH MUCH better if it had a larger display or video output.

From across the room, it's almost impossible to operate.

Charles

·
Registered
452 Posts
I know that some may baulk at this, but you might consider the HP boxes if finances are a concern. I didn't feel like shelling out the over $200 nut on a prismiq until the market matured and the options for video expanded, so I picked one of them up on Ebay for maybe a quarter of the price. It's not the greatest, but it serves the short-term needs for accessing my mp3s from the BR.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.