AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a new home and I am interested in distributing 5 to 6 inputs that will reside in a centralized rack to 5 displays in the house. There is no issue running wires. I would like the ability to view any input on any display at any time (complete flexibility).

The inputs are:

1. DVR1 (Wife's DVR)

2. DVR2 (Kids' DVR)

3. HTPC1 (Wife's ripped DVDs)

4. HTPC2 (Kids' ripped DVDs)

5. Future game system (Xbox, Nintendo, etc.)

The outputs are:

1. 1080p 65" plasma in den

2. 1080p xx" LCD/Plasma in master bedroom

3. 1080p xx" LCD in kids' lounge (converted bedroom)

4. 1080p xx" LCD in my office

5. 1080p xx" LCD in exercise room

I know that this setup will require a 6x6 HDMI Matrix. It will also require (or I should say use) CAT6 baluns/extenders for the HDMI runs to the 5 displays.

I am thinking of using the Universal Remote Control MSC-400 with URC remotes in all locations to control the whole system.

What I don't know or need help with is:

1. How do I introduce AVR(s) in to the system and maintain ultimate flexibility? I would like to have 5.1 or 7.1 in the den and the master bedroom. Stereo sound is acceptable in the other three locations (kids' lounge, office, exercise room). The AVRs are also required so that I can output the sound cards of the HTPCs. I assume I will need multiple AVRs if I want to be able to watch any input on any output at any time.

2. Is the URC product acceptable to control the entire system and maintain wife acceptance factor?

I would truly appreciate any feedback regarding this. If anyone can help answer my questions or has a better setup to accomplish what I want, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, just bought a new home and wondering what to do about video distribution. My house is wired (though speakers not installed) for distributed audio, so I'm trying to have both the audio and video systems work together. Basically, I have three types of rooms in my house with different needs:

1. A room with just distributed audio, in ceiling speakers, like the dining room or kitchen

2. A room with a small TV (like an office) that will run off of the two in-ceiling speakers that also provide distributed audio.

3. Finally there are rooms with large TV's and 5.1 surround.

Right now, my installer is recommending a Control 4 home automation system, with a Control 4 multi-zone amp, and a Sony 8 zone video distribution unit.

The control 4 automation system is supposed to route audio through the multi-zone amp, and video through the distribution unit, to the right zone. The video distribution unit has only component input, so each source has an HDMI output going to an HDMI matrix switcher to each audio receiver and then to the surround sound (5.1 or 7.1) zones. I haven't tried it yet, but I just thought I'd let you know what some other installer is recommending. Anyone see any flaws in my system? (see the pdf diagram attached below). Thanks!

http://www.control4.com/

perry wiring diagram.pdf 26.7626953125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your setup. My concern for my use is that the control4 video distribution unit will not include some of the nice features that exist in the Denon or similar AVRs out there. I am thinking about Audessey and THQ as examples. For me I think that my solution will include two AVRs. Between the two I will get 6 zones of a combination of audio and video. I just don't know if they should sit behind or in front of the 6x6 HDMI matrix. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would think you would want the matrix switch in front of (feeding) the AVRs. That way any AVR can access any source.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But then doesn't that limit your options for feeding the five displays? Once the feed hits the AVR, you only have the ability to display the feed on one primary display and perhaps one secondary display. If the matrix is set up after the AVRs then you still have the flexibility of sending any source to any display. The flipside is that you are dedicating an AVR to each display (or room where you want 5.1 or 7.1 really) but this is kinda how it is with an AVR anyway. In essence you are replacing and combining the switching functionality built in to each AVR with the matrix and are using more standard AVRs for powering the surround systems as opposed to using a high end video distribution product that may or may not do things like THQ or have the Audessey features.

Does this make sense? I am just not sure anymore. Seems too complicated of a setup for something that anyone wishing to do distributed video would want to do.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I don't mind paying for higher end equipment. Perhaps there is stuff out there that I just don't know about.

Anyone care to help a guy out who is quickly getting in over his head?

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G. /forum/post/17066409

Thanks for sharing your setup. My concern for my use is that the control4 video distribution unit will not include some of the nice features that exist in the Denon or similar AVRs out there. I am thinking about Audessey and THQ as examples. For me I think that my solution will include two AVRs. Between the two I will get 6 zones of a combination of audio and video. I just don't know if they should sit behind or in front of the 6x6 HDMI matrix. Thoughts?

There are always trade offs so you have to decide what's good for you. I don't tweak my equipment too much so I don't mind the simplicity of the Control 4 system. Plus, it is idiot proof for the wife and kids. It also integrates security cameras and shows them on the screen, which is really cool. Another advantage is that a control 4 setup can allow you to turn any zone with an AVR into an audio zone for distributed audio as well, so you don't have to have separate speakers for distributed audio and theater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts