AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My local Savant installer didn't realize that I was going to want to distribute a 2.0 down mix to my two rooms with TV's that only have two speakers while I'm playing 5.1 in my HT and Bedroom (think movie night where only some people will want to sit in the theater, while others want to roam and gab while occasionally watching).

The new Savant system is able to do that but the old ones couldn't and the upgrades are very, very expensive. Is there some kind of dongle that will activate and down mix when it detects 5.1 or can I set up a bluetooth soundbar that will pull in the center channel?

I'm stumped and my guys keep telling me it can't be done. 

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
You can avoid getting into the HDMI mix and just pull the digital audio output either from your BD player (source) or perhaps the AVR in your theater and using a $50 DAC to get the 2-channel analog downmix... I did this for the same reason you did - and my Oppo player actually has a configuration option to produce 2-channel PCM on the digital output regardless of the HDMI bitstream, so I accomplished this with the $20 PCM-only DAC instead of the more complex DD/DTS models...

Reactions: Rich McCracken

·
Registered
76 Posts
This was a nagging limitation on the old Savant stuff. Glad they've resolved it. Like the gentlemen before mentioned, you've got options and your installer should be able to work around this. How difficult it will be really depends on how the system is setup, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard.

The Atlona peice mentioned above would fit the bill. But you'd need one for every source. Also, if you can avoid adding devices to the HDMI signal chain, I would advise doing so. Every piece you add introduces one more Handshake that has to take place, and with it the chance for maddening HDMI issues. Although in my experience Atlona makes solid products, HDMI is a dark art so I always try and steer clear of muddying the water.

I'd be more inclined to look into a solution like Jautor has suggested. Break the audio signal off at the source by using a different physical output, be it optical, coax, or even better yet... stereo RCA if available (although fewer and fewer devices actually have these nowadays)

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you, editor363, jautor, and jgrif08! You've given me some good ideas that I can pass on to get my guys thinking about a solution. I'll let you know how it worked out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dealt with the same issue in my homebrew system. The Atlona HDMI decoder posted above is one option ($250-$350 IIRC).

I needed to downmix 3 sources, so I wanted a cheaper option. I ended up with some of the no-name $40 Dolby 5.1 decoders from Amazon, Link: http://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Digital-Coaxial-Headphone/dp/B008U23F3E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1395088585&sr=8-12&keywords=dolby+decoder

They are working fine so far. I had one crap out on me so far (over about a 1 year period), and from what I've read in the Amazon reviews, that's not uncommon. That said, they are SO CHEAP. Audio quality is fine out of the RCA jacks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe. But those cheap decoders use a fairly well known chip from cirrus logic. I would think cirrus would be responsible for the licensing and that cost would be indirectly passed to the chip purchaser/integrator.

Gefen has a very similar product for under $100, which I'm pretty sure includes a much larger profit margin than this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts