AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a video camera that I'd like to distribute the signal throughout the house. Each room has both CAT 5 and coax but some of the CAT 5 drops are used for data. I have this RF modulator that I hooked up and I can broadcast the video on channel 3 everywhere it needs to go.

One problem I have though is that one of my TVs has a Time Warner cable box. Is there a way to "share" the single coax feed so that it can be split into feeding the coax input on the TV and the coax input on the cable box and still work? I recall when I had Dish Network, there were diplexers that allowed a setup like this.

I was thinking of getting some sort of filter to block channel 3 coming in from the street and allowing me to broadcast on it locally at my home but I don't know if that's ideal or if there's a better way.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have a couple of possible options:

1) Modulate the camera video as you mentioned. However, as you also mentioned, this solution won't work with a cable set top box. The cable company controls which channels the set top box displays. Cable boxes aside, there are a few filters (such as these from linear corp ) you can use to block certain channels. But you'll need to know which frequencies your high speed internet and cable set top box communicates on before you select a filter. For example, in our area high speed internet signals are between channels 70 and 80.

2) You also mentioned cat5 is also an option, but that you are using certain runs for Ethernet. It turns out that Ethernet only requires 2 of the 4 pairs of CAT5 wire (the green and orange pair). Muxlab offers some simple to use video baluns that enable composite video to run over twisted pair. You could use the blue pair of the CAT5 to run camera video.

With more and more of the cable channels being converted to digital, it is getting increasingly difficult to modulate cameras along side other cable channels. Your best bet would be running video over the CAT5 runs with baluns, connecting to the video input on your TVs.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Lance Beasley
www.encoelectronics.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts