AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I distribute line level audio from my computer to my pre-amp when the distance is greater than 50 feet?

In the past I have used a mini to RCA adapter and 50-foot RCA cable to make the connection. In the new house, the rooms are further apart. This is primarily for listening to streaming audio and mp3's on my main system. I do not need ultra-high fidelity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How much further are we talking?

I currently have a 50' connection that is then split to 2 receivers working fine. The output level does drop a bit, but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The canonical recommendation is to use coax that has a SOLID COPPER center conductor (vs copper-coated steel) -- something like Belden 1694a or 1505a.

For your application, you'll probably want two runs, terminated at both ends with male RCA connectors (four connectors total). It's not hard to install the connectors yourself, but the tools are somewhat pricey. If you only need the two runs, you might consider using one of those outfits that will cut and terminate cables to your specifications.

You said "I do not need ultra-high fidelity." Depending on what that means (it's a subjective statement), you *might* be satisfied with the alternate approach of using a single run of Cat5 with baluns on each end. If you go this route, be aware that there are many baluns on the market, with quality ranging from good to total cr*p -- and that quality is loosely correlated to cost. You may find that a pair of baluns that are "good enough" for you, are actually more expensive than a pair of properly terminated cables.

- digiphotonerd

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
There’s no good reason you couldn’t use installation-grade audio cable, like this.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-246

You’ll have to be able to solder on your own connectors, though. With the right connectors one cable can carry a stereo signal. As video123 noted, there will probably be some signal loss, and perhaps a slight reduction of the highest frequencies, but both can be compensated for at the pre-amp.

Quote:
It's not hard to install the connectors yourself, but the tools are somewhat pricey.
Twist-on F connectors could be used, with F-to-RCA converters. I’ve had good luck with twist-ons for static installations.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about your equipment, but in my basement I use a coax cable to transfer a digital signal out from the pc to receiver. While the actual distance is only about 20', the cable is around 120' long and it works great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.