AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to drive audio speakers in a room remote from my receiver, without running speaker wire (and I've tried X-10 wireless but too much interference.)

Is there a (simple, cheap) way to route the stereo audio over existing coax (not used for TV) and split it back to stereo in the room with speakers? I have a CATV jack sitting there in both rooms, and I can easily splice the two circuits together at CATV source. I just don't know of a device that can encode the left and right channels, deliver over coax, and separate them at the other end. can this be done?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have no idea if using that one existing wire will work. You could try using two rca y's putting one on each side of the coax, and put an rca jack on each of the coax (preferably compression fittings).

If that doesnt work run another coax with the old one and simply put rcas on each ends of the two coax runs, that should definitly work.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
It’s far from ideal, but I suppose you could drive a single speaker from a single coaxial wire. The problem is finding a way to actually connect the stuff to the speakers. Good luck with that.

Matt’s idea would let you send a line-level signal down a coaxial cable. Probably a better way would be to use a VCR to do it. Just connect both ins and outs to your receiver as usual with RCA cables. The VCR’s outputs would be for normal playback. However, the inputs would get the signal from any source selected on the receiver. You could then connect your existing coaxial line to the VCR’s antenna output.

With either Matt’s method or mine, you would need a stand-alone receiver or amp at the other end to drive the speakers. With my method it would require another VCR on the other end for playback. Either way you would get only mono sound at the remote locations - there’s no way to convert it back into stereo.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It’s far from ideal, but I suppose you could drive a single speaker from a single coaxial wire. The problem is finding a way to actually connect the stuff to the speakers. Good luck with that.

Matt’s idea would let you send a line-level signal down a coaxial cable. Probably a better way would be to use a VCR to do it. Just connect both ins and outs to your receiver as usual with RCA cables. The VCR’s outputs would be for normal playback. However, the inputs would get the signal from any source selected on the receiver. You could then connect your existing coaxial line to the VCR’s antenna output.

With either Matt’s method or mine, you would need a stand-alone receiver or amp at the other end to drive the speakers. With my method it would require another VCR on the other end for playback. Either way you would get only mono sound at the remote locations - there’s no way to convert it back into stereo.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank you Wayne for making actually reread the original post, hes thinking to power the speakers with a single coax, I dont think theres anyway possible to do that. With both mine and Waynes suggestion is through adding another receiver in the other room. And just to make my first post a little more clearer, again the first idea is unsure, the second idea is just about failsafe.

1. From the audio out of your receiver connect an rca y cable to the coax by adding a rca connector to the end of the coax(again compression fittings are probably best, you can find them, and the tools required at partsexpress.com), then at the other end of the coax connect another rca connector, and have another rca y cable. Then connect that to a receiver input, and connect your pair of speakers to that receiver.

2. Add another piece of coax, use rca connectors (same as before just no Y cable).

3. Better yet just use speaker wire, tape them to the coax wire and pull the coax wire out, that way you just fished the speaker wire (wont work of course if the coax is staple to a stud or the like).

I think any route you go it wont be pretty, except for the obvious choice of just running speaker wire, why cant you do this agian?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the more I've thought about my own question, the more I wonder why I can't:

1. run the "speaker out" from my receiver into the audio inputs of a VCR

2. run "antenna out" from VCR to coax wall jack

3. take coax from other end (other room) to "antenna in" on 2nd VCR

4. run audio out from VCR to speakers (through amp if necessary)

In this way, I am using VCR's as RF modulator & demodulator, and should be able to retrieve stereo signal, right? (I could replace the upstream VCR with a simple RF modulator, but a used VCR may be cheaper...)

Any thoughts on this from those who understand such things better than I?

Chuck

·
Registered
804 Posts
Basically you described what Wayne described, which should work, I dont see any flaws in it. And yes to reiterate you would need another amp to power your speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But Wayne says no way to convert back to stereo...why not, if using VCR at both ends to code/decode the signal that is distributed down the coax? I won't do this just to get mono audio...

I'll try it first, but just trying to avoid the hassle of stringing speaker wire under carpet, over hardwood, thorugh walls, etc. when I already have coax through the house.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A VCR will only send a mono signal out of channel 3/4, defeating your goal.

An option that would work is a getting one of the stereo "adapters" designed to take multiple A/V inputs and output a stereo signal. Basically, a stereo modulator that is locked to channel 3/4. You can find these anywhere, such as Walmart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, video321.

That's what I was unsure of. I can get a stereo RF modulator to encode it, and use a VCR to decode it.

I'll try that.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Quote:
the more I've thought about my own question, the more I wonder why I can't run the "speaker out" from my receiver into the audio inputs of a VCR
Speaker out? No. Just hook the VCR up the way I told you.

Quote:
But Wayne says no way to convert back to stereo...why not, if using VCR at both ends to code/decode the signal that is distributed down the coax?
Because once you combine a stereo signal to mono, you can’t convert it back to stereo. If the modulator video321 recommended will retain the stereo signal from its inputs, you’re in business. If not, your only options are mono or pulling cables.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Speaker out? No. Just hook the VCR up the way I told you.

Because once you combine a stereo signal to mono, you can’t convert it back to stereo. If the modulator video321 recommended will retain the stereo signal from its inputs, you’re in business. If not, your only options are mono or pulling cables.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
In other words, I would just get my butt in line and run those speaker cables, so much easier, finacially easier, and maybe even a bit less time consuming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it's worth, my scheme works perfectly: Out from my bedroom Audio system to a stereo modulator ($8 on eBay) into CATV coax jack. Patched coax to Living room at CATV input source. Out from LR coax jack to VCR ($2 on eBay) stereo out into a receiver ($10 on eBay) to speakers. Perfect stereo, without having to string speaker wire through the house to the LR (or duplicate my Audio system with all its sources (Tape and CD deck, Sirius via Dish, etc.) )

Biggest issue in stringing wire was hardwood floors and no easy way to hide it, crossing doorways, etc.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklamar
For what it's worth, my scheme works perfectly: Out from my bedroom Audio system to a stereo modulator ($8 on eBay) into CATV coax jack. Patched coax to Living room at CATV input source. Out from LR coax jack to VCR ($2 on eBay) stereo out into a receiver ($10 on eBay) to speakers. Perfect stereo, without having to string speaker wire through the house to the LR (or duplicate my Audio system with all its sources (Tape and CD deck, Sirius via Dish, etc.) )

Biggest issue in stringing wire was hardwood floors and no easy way to hide it, crossing doorways, etc.

Slow down there guys.....there are NO ch 3/4 stereo modulators that are truly stereo. The labelling is misleading. These cheapo modulators take stereo signals and modulate them, but you don't get stereo on the far end - you still get mono. True stereo modulators, or ones that pass MTS stereo info are much more expensive. Don't believe me? Read the fine print in the modulator's instructions. I can guarantee you they won't give you stereo. The most affordable modulator I'm aware of that does true stereo is the CE Labs 1001ST, seen here: http://www.cable-electronics.com/Product8.aspx

All other solutions mentioned above are still mono, or better called, "summed stereo" audio. left and right info are in both channels - They aren't truly 2 separate channels of audio info.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Newman, we're not talking about a frequency agile modulator, in which case you would be correct. The cheapo units are locked to channel 3/4 for connecting devices, such as a DVD player, to a stereo TV with no A/V inputs.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by video321
Newman, we're not talking about a frequency agile modulator, in which case you would be correct. The cheapo units are locked to channel 3/4 for connecting devices, such as a DVD player, to a stereo TV with no A/V inputs.

I understand, and again, I know of no 3/4 modulator that is actually stereo on the output - they're all summed mono, just like VCRs.

catapult's wireless video transceiver combo suggestion might be a viable solution, as long as the rooms are within range.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm probably missing something here, but if your receiver has a coax digital output and your cable run is not too long, you should be able to connect the coax digital output to the coaxial cable (using an RCA-to-F connector) and then drive the speakers using a cheap receiver in the other room by connecting the cable to the coax digital line to an input.

This will only work if your run is less than 25 - 30 ft. or so and there are no signal combiners or splitters in the run, though. Also, this would only work with digital sources connected to the first receiver - most won't convert analog signals to digital for output.

Or it might not work at all...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.