AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting all my AV gear + whole house audio in a closet. I'm running speaker wire + Cat6 for controls to 6 zones + a 7.2 + HDMI for the home theater. I'm using a tube in the wall for the HDMI to the TV so I can always upgrade to the latest technologies later. There's also a few Cat6 networking drops and maybe I'll do some RJ11 for voice.

I've been looking at the Levitron inwall patch panels, but they want an arm & leg and the selection of connectors at my local HomeDepot isn't great.

Since it's in a closet and not going to be readily visible, is there any reason not to just get some plywood and mount some Monoprice keystone jack panels and build my own patch panel that way?

If I went with the Levitron, how big of a panel would I need? 28 or 42"? Do I have to use their network switches or is it easy to mount a Netgear off Amazon?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you don't care about looks, put it all on a piece of plywood. This is what has been done forever in commercial installations before the structured wiring products appeared.

FWIW I put my A/V gear in what had originally been a linen closet. I put keystone jacks for everything in the side wall of the cabinet. There was room between the wall and the drywall behind it for the cables. It resulted in a very neat installation. My network gear is mounted elsewhere on the wall of a coat closet near the ceiling because it was the best location for the wireless antenna.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree. If looks are not a concern, go with the plywood backboard. I find the wiring cabinets a little constrictive to work in especially if you have any RG6 coax in there. If you decide to use the cabinet, the larger, the better. You can use whatever equipment you want; drill your own holes and use sheet metal screws and/or zip ties.

Just in case you didn't know, there is a place in your area which I've mail ordered from. Not always the cheapest, but good selection and good stock.
www.hometech.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts