AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24459509

I was going to buy a Dayton SUB-1200 subwoofer but they are on backorder until May. Is it possible to build a similar subwoofer for under the price of the Dayton ($100)?
I doubt it. One of the facts about DIY is that you can't compete with the buying power of manufacturers for materials, so you won't save compared to factory made at the lower end of the price spectrum. Where DIY has the advantage is in labor, so it's with labor intensive designs that you can save big time. That means you can't make a $100 sub for less, but you can make a $1000 sub for a lot less.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Economies of scale.

Walmart can sell tv's for $50 because $50 x 10 million people = $500 million dollars; and pumping and flying them out of the factory like moldy hot cakes at 200mph.

You, as an individual person, doesn't have $500 millions of purchasing-power clout and 10 million people audience. So you can't get that china tv for $50, even if you attempted to order it directly from the same factory they'd want 100,000 orders of $5000 each.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
As others have stated. No. You will spend half of that $100 on construction materials alone, wood, screws/nails, glue, clamps, etc.... Then still will need drivers and amp so not really a $100-200 DIY sub bang for buck build. Although at the $200 mark you'd be getting really close to a few great options with the affordable 18s on the market.

Small $100 subs can be a huge let down as well. That's smaller than most desktop speaker 2.1 setups. I have a small paradigm cube that I paid $700ish for that was for a tiny footprint that really let me down. It plays nice for how small it is but for $700 I could build 2-3 far better subs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I should have clarified a bit though....are there any DIY subs for under $100 for just the electronic components. I am not concerned with the cost of the building components (wood, screws etc) provided I can buy them at a store like Menards.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24461889

$100 bucks doesn't get you much at all.
It can. I built my Table Tuba for less than $100, exclusive of the amp. That would be a classic case of sweat equity, as it's a labor intensive design that would cost at least $1k for a commercially produced version. But add in an amp and you're at $250-$350.

·
Registered
822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24462778

It can. I built my Table Tuba for less than $100, exclusive of the amp. That would be a classic case of sweat equity, as it's a labor intensive design that would cost at least $1k for a commercially produced version. But add in an amp and you're at $250-$350.
he said 100 for electronic components not just driver...otherwise I agree. That is why I mentioned to him how much cheap amps cost

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My 13 year old daughter is doing a similar venture. We are going to build a Cinema T-6 design using a B-stock Sundown E-10 at $79 shipped and a Parts Express Buyout Technics sub amp for 40 bucks. I am covering the construction materials. While the sub is not going to hit 20 hertz with room shaking authority, for her room, it will definitely rock!!

Here is the link
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358033/lilmikes-cinema-t-6

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24462917

My 13 year old daughter is doing a similar venture. We are going to build a Cinema T-6 design using a B-stock Sundown E-10 at $79 shipped and a Parts Express Buyout Technics sub amp for 40 bucks. I am covering the construction materials. While the sub is not going to hit 20 hertz with room shaking authority, for her room, it will definitely rock!!

Mind if I ask the source on the Sundown, if there are any left?  PE, or somewhere else?  Might want to build another one... or two... or three....

As I am among the newbiest of the newbs, I rarely have anything to contribute -- but I can contribute with a little authority on this one, given the original question!  I went from the previous version of the El Cheapo Dayton 12 (Sub-120) to the Cinema T-6 -- *night*and*day* difference, and worth every penny.  Like taking

Everything all-up all-in, except the amp (as I am currently reusing the one from the original sub), was well south of $200.  If you have the skills and the tools to turn a sheet of plywood into a (reasonably complex and precise) bookshelf, for example, already, it's a really economical design.

I'm not sure it'd be considered "similar," depending on one's perspective, other than "also produces low frequency sounds," as it's a completely different animal from a square box with a big, visible driver, but it's a pretty impressive value proposition, if that's the most important criterion.

Maybe the Sub-1200 new version is an entirely different beast, but, at least in my (large) room it was like going from "wait, you say you have a sub? where?" to "so *that's* what a sub does!"  I'm sure I could get more, better, or both, with more money and a bigger box (and one of these days I might!), but if you have skills/tools, modest goals, an even more modest budget, and enough room for a T-6, there's no comparison.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! Just how big is a T-6? Anyone have a picture of one? I'm not looking for earthquaking sound.......just something that sounds good during movies and when playing music. The room is very large (approximately 15'x20' with catherdral ceilings - see photos) and opens directly into the kitchen. I had a feeling the Dayton 12" might be too small, so if I can build something better with a similar price (not including material costs) I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakishlyTall  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24463193

Mind if I ask the source on the Sundown, if there are any left? PE, or somewhere else? Might want to build another one... or two... or three....

As I am among the newbiest of the newbs, I rarely have anything to contribute -- but I can contribute with a little authority on this one, given the original question!  I went from the previous version of the El Cheapo Dayton 12 (Sub-120) to the Cinema T-6 -- *night*and*day* difference, and worth every penny.  Like taking

Everything all-up all-in, except the amp (as I am currently reusing the one from the original sub), was well south of $200.  If you have the skills and the tools to turn a sheet of plywood into a (reasonably complex and precise) bookshelf, for example, already, it's a really economical design.

I'm not sure it'd be considered "similar," depending on one's perspective, other than "also produces low frequency sounds," as it's a completely different animal from a square box with a big, visible driver, but it's a pretty impressive value proposition, if that's the most important criterion.

Maybe the Sub-1200 new version is an entirely different beast, but, at least in my (large) room it was like going from "wait, you say you have a sub? where?" to "so *that's* what a sub does!"  I'm sure I could get more, better, or both, with more money and a bigger box (and one of these days I might!), but if you have skills/tools, modest goals, an even more modest budget, and enough room for a T-6, there's no comparison.

No problem. Page 6 of the T-6 thread post 162
http://www.emfcaraudio.com/sundown-audio-e10-d2-b-stock/

This is Sundown Audio's Bstock site.

Disclosure: I have been buying Sundown product since 2007. We have used several Bstock/cosmetic blem stuff with zero issue. In fact, in the car audio side, I have had such good results that I push the product line/company if asked. So I was excited to see the E10 recommended by lilmike. I am also unsure of the amp. But for 40 bucks, it will at the least, give her a lot more bass than the sony buyout 5 1/4 drivers we are using to build her some MTM's.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24463692

How big is the actual T-6 subwoofer? Thanks!
As was mentioned in Lilmike's thread, his was built to be

23 7/8" wide, 35 7/8" long, 12 3/4" deep.

So lets keep in mind here excluding the building materials and time spent building. Just the 12" subwoofer driver is $125 the cheapest. Then you will need an amp. Either another $125 for a plate amp or $120 for a separate amp.

So only 150% above your proposed budget....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24463785

So lets keep in mind here excluding the building materials and time spent building. Just the 12" subwoofer driver is $125 the cheapest. Then you will need an amp. Either another $125 for a plate amp or $120 for a separate amp.

So only 150% above your proposed budget....

The T-6 uses either an eight inch driver or the ten inch.

Going the route my daughter is, it is ~120 bucks for the Sundown sub and the amp. so 20 bux more than the OP's budget that should yield much better results than the Dayton sub.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24463635

No problem. Page 6 of the T-6 thread post 162
http://www.emfcaraudio.com/sundown-audio-e10-d2-b-stock/

Thanks!  I may just build one with that sub to see if there's any audible (to my tin ears!) difference.  I am quick to admit that I have -almost-zero- frame of reference on these things, but I was impressed with the quality of the (cheap) Dayton recommended in that thread when I got it in my hot little (large) hands, and that one should be better.

I should probably just stick to identical builds, but part of me can't help but futz with variables. ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521728/dit-subwoofer-for-under-100#post_24463785

To put it in context, it really is about the size of a small bedside book case, when stood so the long direction is vertical.  I need to post pics to my little novice post-build thread, but it does a decent job of disappearing when painted wall color and tucked in a corner, or build it into a more complex book shelf, or stick it behind a couch under a table, or something.
I don't want to make it sound -too- easy, but I waited -way- too long before trying.  If you're comfortable managing full sheets of 1/2" ply, can make accurate to 1/16ish cuts and can follow directions, it's a pretty fantastic project.  I imagine it's even easier with an extra pair of hands, but I managed solo, taking my time and double-checking everything.
That said, there are other -excellent- designs, as mentioned here and elsewhere.  You can get more for not much more money.  Or you can spend a bunch and get a LOT more.  To each their priorities!  Time / effort, size, cost, capability... pick two. If your cost is capped at a low, low number, but you have time and some room, go for a horn build.  If your cost is capped and your time is, too, get a Dayton (or other) commercial solution, as it's as easy as punching in a credit card number and waiting for UPS, and it's better than nothin'... but not the most sub you can get for your money.
There is also, I think, still a pre-cut flat-pack from a friendly vendor ( www.diysoundgroup.com -- http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/anarchy-th.html  ) that is a --very-- appealing similar design, if you're not the 10/10ths cheapskate I am:  IIRC, precut panels + driver was less than $150 last I checked.  *Heck* of a deal.  In fact, I dragged my heels on my build long enough that I bought my driver before that kit came out... but I didn't start cutting 'til after... I might (might) have just gone that way.  However, I'm just cheap enough that the $30 difference between a sheet of ply and the pre-cut kit had me thinking, "$30?  Heck, that's most of the way to 5 gallons of beer.  I can make a T-6."  I have not heard it, but I would wager large money that it is an excellent option.  Others on this forum can vouch, and there's a build/design thread around here somewhere, I'm sure.
And, finally, as already corrected, the T-6 uses an 8" or 10" driver.  I swear I paid ~$60 for my Dayton 10, but I must have gotten it on sale, as it now lists ~$80.  For giggles, I hooked up my $20 Lepai amp to see what would happen, and it made comparable (to my tin ears!) noises at comfortable listening levels.  I bet, if one is not already a bass-addict and/or hasn't heard a lot of excellent systems, or has only been exposed to small, cheap, commercial subs, that a T-6 (or Anarchy) + a *cheap* amp + (as mentioned in the T-6 thread) a high-pass filter to protect the driver would be a *fantastic* bargain sub.  Certainly not going to throw you around or take your breath away or punch you in the chest or anything else that the lucky guys with gigantic, big money systems get to enjoy, but you'll hear -all- the music, and the experience will be -much- richer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think I commented on your other thread but for the price range you've been looking at for your speakers/sub there isn't a reason to go DIY. Considering the price ranges you stated in your other thread you should be purchasing everything. If the Daytona Sub is out of stock there is definitely something that is comparable at that price range. I don't know since ~$100 sub would never be something I thnk about but I'm sure someone else can name one. Like said so many times in this thread, DIY is better at higher price brackets. For sub 100 price bracket I don't think you can beat internet direct companies.

EricH and all the lovely people to have contributed speaker designs have certainly tried though to bring cheaper DIY designs. My little sister actually told me to order everything like 10 times already. Said to stop whining about money lol. Guess it's time to do as she says and just order and hope for the best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts